MF 60 H backhoe runs, will not move

/ MF 60 H backhoe runs, will not move #1  

mtnwings

Bronze Member
Tractor
ford 1910 4x4 loader, MF 35, MF 60H backhoe
my MF 60 H backhoe will not move but runs great. I parked it for lunch in the middle of a job but when I got back in after lunch it would not turn over, no clicks, no anything. I ran a wire from the switch to the starter and it fired right up. Thinking everything was fine to finish the job ( I would look into the problem later) I put it into reverse to turn around and nothing, I tried to go forward, nothing. The hydraulics work fine and it runs just fine it just will not go forward or reverse, any thoughts on this new problem? very frustrated. I have checked everything and tried the many suggestions I got from other operators in the area but nothing works. and yes, the override switch does nothing either. Please, I am getting tired of moving it around with the bucket and back hoe.

/ MF 60 H backhoe runs, will not move #2  
Re: runs, will not move

A farmer that I know had the same problem, forward and reverse didn't work... he accidentally knocked his high and low range selector into neural. He didn't even know about it since he always drove around in "Low" gear.

/ MF 60 H backhoe runs, will not move

I wish it was that simple, I have had this back hoe for 20 years, installed a new Perkins into it three years ago, I know it very well. I even had a guy with the same back hoe come over and he said he has no idea either. We have concluded that it is an electrical issue.

/ MF 60 H backhoe runs, will not move #4  
runs, will not move

Several back hoe And other equipment I have used operate and move normally but will not move. Has always been because I did not have all the safety bars, seatbelts, safety switch etc activated. Wonder if you have a bad sensor

I have operated this back hoe with the safety switch override in since I bought it, worked for all these years. When I bought it the guy told me I needed to have this big red button in before it would start, I always thought it was just how it was. I did not know it was the safety over ride until this problem started. This means there was always a problem with the safety switches somewhere but from what I can see and find I have checked them all. This is a mystery .

/ MF 60 H backhoe runs, will not move #6  

...with the safety switch override in since I bought it...
Have you double check to make sure one of the bypass switches has not come lose or corroded? I take it that it's not firing up on it's own, you have to by pass the switch? Good luck with electric crap, all the fuses are fine?

/ MF 60 H backhoe runs, will not move #7  

Also check all the fuses. If a safety circuit fuse went that could be an issue.

Thank you, I did check all the fuses, that was the first thing I checked, all are ok, this is why it is such a mystery. There is (was) a safety switch being triggered somewhere because it would not start unless the safety switch override was pushed in. I first thought the override switch was bad but we tested it and it seems ok. what ever was causing the original problem might be the issue but i never knew the original problem, guess I should have asked when I bought it. I didn't know better then. The big problem is finding the safety switches, some are actually inside the tranny. As I mentioned, we believe it is an electrical issue and I don't know much in this area. I have the engine rebuild manual but not the tractor manual, does anyone have a schematic for this backhoe?

/ MF 60 H backhoe runs, will not move #9  

If there are sensors inside the transmission, there may be one for pressure, and/or one for level, which will prevent the machine from moving and thus damage if the pressure is low due to an internal leak, worn/broken pump, or low fluid level.

Fluids are all good, remember I drove it back to the shop to eat lunch and than when I got back in it would not start, I had to run a hot wire to the starter to fire it up, runs great! Just will not move. I love all the ideas, please keep them coming, one will hopefully do the trick but in the mean time I will be doing more tests myself. Anyone know why all four wires going to the two solenoids are hot? This can't be right. Dam I hat electronics, I just don't it them. LOL
Thanks