In need of machine that is..................

/ In need of machine that is.................. #1  

Yardscaper

Bronze Member
Tractor
Polaris ASL 300, 1959 Economy Tractor
I am in need of a machine that has a stout backhoe and can lift at least 2,500 pounds to a height of 6 foot minimum. It has to be four wheel drive, diesel, and have an overall width of not more than 66 inches. I am aware and have demoed the Bobcat TLBs. The B300 is able to do all that I want, but it is too wide and heavy. The B250 is too small and can not lift what I need it to. It is underpowered as well. If they had one between the two, that is what I would buy. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I really like the John Deere 110 TLB, but once again the width gets in the way. The Kubota TLB series is also nice, but to get what I need in lift capacity would require an L48, which shares it dimensions with the 110 Deere and B300 Bobcat. I have also looked at Allmand and some of the other small companies, but the lift cap. is just not there. I am a landscape contractor that is in need of a TLB that can move 2K to 3K pound pallets of material, be nimble enough to get into yards, and yet have the power to get down and dirty on new construction utility digs. Any help will be appreciated greatly, and any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bill

/ In need of machine that is.................. #2  
I suspect the engineers have figured out that for a machine to do what you want it to do, the 'wide' stance is necessary to keep it on all four wheels. The machine weight alone for a narrow guage wheel system would have to be very low to the ground, and not likely possible. But I wish you luck in your search.

/ In need of machine that is.................. #3  
You might want to take a look at the Power Trac (power-trac.com) PT-2460 which is rated for 2400 lb lift to 10 ft. (and from experience with some of their other models will most probably lift more).

It is four wheel drive, articulated (which does NOT tear up lawns although at 5600 lbs may leave some tracks with standard loader-type tires), has a 60 HP Deutz Diesel, only 59" wide and has a backhoe availabe with 10' 6" reach and 9' depth with 4000 lb break out. The BH is quickly and easily removable.

Fifteen inch wide HD turf tires are available which will be easier on lawns, but will bring overall width right to 66". This type of articulated unit really manouvers well in tight places also.

I have the 1845 with 45 hp and less lift, but this whole product line is very heavily built (by an outfit that has been in the mining equipment busines for many years), and although is only sold factory direct, is readily repairable by any Deutz engine facility, a hydraulic shop, and welder.

This line is primarily aimed at the landscape industry so your needs are probably not that much different. Many quick attach attachments are available, and it is not hard to make an adaptor to standard skid-steer attachments either. Comes with an aux hyd circuit plus a hydraulic PTO circuit as well.

Good luck

Rip

/ In need of machine that is.................. #4  
For your FEL lift requirements, the JCB 210S would fit the bill nicely. It has a max lift capacity of 4850 lbs. It has a max digging depth of 9'9" - 12'. The only thing I am unsure of, and the website doesn't give the specs, is the width. The 210S is a compact TLB as JCB calls it. I'll give the link to the JCB site. The site will not allow me to right click and get the exact URL to the machine, nor will it provide the full URL in the address bar in my browser. When looking, click North America, then USA. When the page loads, click New Machine Range located to the right. Then Compact Backhoe Loaders in the top left under the Contruction/Indutrial category. The 210S will then be the second one down. The 212S might also work if it is in the 66" width limit. Good luck in your search! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JCB

/ In need of machine that is.................. #5  
What kinda loads are you carrying?

/ In need of machine that is.................. #6  
Perhaps you need a dedicated fork lift for moving what I assume are pallets of sod or concrete products.

Many years ago a truck delivering sod to our house had a small forklift, think it was three wheels and not as wide as a pallet, to unload and place pallets of sod. The machine was hauled at the back of the truck and used its forks to load and and unload itself. As I recall it was very compact and designed just for the job it was doing.This was 25 or so years ago.

Egon

/ In need of machine that is..................
Rip,

I am aware of the Power Trac line, as I am the owner of a 1430 and 2445 trailer package. The thought had entered my mind to purchase a 2460 or a 1460. This would pretty much round out my Power Trac collection, since I also had a 1425, predecessor to the 425. The problem with the articulated machines, at least in heavy duty situations, is that the linkage gets torn up with continued abuse that a four wheel steer machine can handle. Also, I have a backhoe on the 2445 and it is great for light digging, but it does not stand up to heavy, rocky digging and stump prying.

To everyone else,

The loads that I run across daily are sod pallets (approx. 1 ton), pallets of pavers (approx. 3K pounds), and various other palletized materials that are found on a construction site. I am considering a dedicated mini excavator and skid steer set up, but really do not want 2 more machines and the payments and maintenance that go with them.

I have thought about a dedicated forklift, but the dilemma there is that we do not have a tractor trailer in order to haul both material and lift, not to mention the forklift would have to be all terrain.

The JCB machines are nice, though we have no dealers close by in this area. I may just have to bite the bullet and opt for a larger machine anyway. I think that I am asking too much out of a compact machine.

Thanks everyone, and keep those ideas coming!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bill

/ In need of machine that is.................. #8  
Still check into JCB I've got a 520Loadall It'll lift 4400lbs has 4whl drive and steering.Reach up 16ft and out ten.You can run any skidsteer attachment on them.I've bushhogged/augered/jackhammered/trenchedetc with mine.It'll go 20mph It rides better than a skidsteer.Visability is good .They just came out with a 520-40 which is a little smaller than mine.In 4 years of ownership all I've replaced is a starter.I promise you'll never regret it.It's pretty handy around the house also.My dealer let me demo the 520 and a Robot at the same time.They also let my neighbor demo a FastTrac tractor.You might check out this option with the nearest dealer.

/ In need of machine that is.................. #9  
   / In need of machine that is.................. #10  
If it helps the specs on the JCB520-40.It's 61in wide 77in high 4000lbs lift 13ft.2in.lift height