Used Crane Advice

/ Used Crane Advice #1  

0o0

Tractor
JD 5520
I've been looking into buying a used mobile crane for on-farm construction tasks such as setting steel roof rafters.

Browsing auctions for government equipment I saw many Terex LRT-110, a mil-spec crane, with very low hours (under 50) regularly sell for around $15,000 in operating condition aside from a dead battery. I don't know how old they are, but assume most were made in the 1990s.
Mobile Cranes For Sale | GovPlanet

How do these military cranes compare to other used cranes? Is there expensive maintenance I should expect to do immediately?

Would something else like a carry deck crane or telehandler make more sense? I want to spend under $20,000.

Attachments

• Terex LRT-110.jpg
    Terex LRT-110.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 352
   / Used Crane Advice #2  
Be careful with crane, I have seen many accidents from improper operation

/ Used Crane Advice #3  
I'd look more into a "truck crane" for versatility
images-1.jpg

over the "neck breaker" you have pictured. (Not that I am certain that the crane operation is from the cab only on that Govt. unit). That term came from this type of crane with limited visibility to the front & sides only.
imgres.jpg I have seen some nice truck crane's in that same cost "neighborhood" and I could see where having a good sized bed for self loading along with controls on each side of the truck (usually) would be much easier to operate in a 360* work area.:thumbsup:

/ Used Crane Advice #4  
I have loved cranes since I was around three years old. There used to be a pipe manufacturer near us with all manner of tracked cranes in their yard. I would go nuts.

But for most, including me, it would have very limited use. A telehandler would be much more useful (I owned a 12 ton one). It can fill in for a crane.

The day we got the Dynalift.

Dynalift On Farm June 16 1991 B.jpg

Always liked those REAL sized wheels! lol

/ Used Crane Advice #5  
I was the equipment officer/manager for several Navy expeditionary Reserve units. Those low hour units are virtually brand new. The military replaces CESE (civil engineer support equipment) based on calendar age not on hours. Some reserve units do not use stuff very much; but, they over maintain for training of maintenance crews, batteries run down, and rubber goods deteriorate. Beware electrical systems are 24 volt and the batteries are very expensive. In your case you could get by with smaller batteries though.

Because of requirements for durability and reliability over wide conditions; military CESE is way over engineered compared to civilian market equipment. We used to re-certify our cranes every year even though not used just for the training value. That unit you were looking at probably cost DOD $100K +/-. We had a tactical wrecker built onto a 5 Ton cargo truck that cost $350K where a civilian counterpart would be $100K. If you get one be sure and get the O & M Manuals. Engine internal parts are fairly standard but most other parts are unique to the military. Most parts are available in the surplus market place. Major work is done in specialized depot maintenance/repair shops not by field units. In Vietnam I Corps area the Marine Corps actually had depot shops the Seabees built; right across the road from the camp I was in. Military parts were fairly easy to get over their but we had a civilian fire truck that needed a drive shaft for the main pump; previous battalion had on order 6 months, we were there 10 months, still on dead line.

That unit will outlast you 2-1 if maintained. Also they are diesel hogs with engines way bigger than a civilian counterpart. Not built to Green standards.

Ron

/ Used Crane Advice #6  
I have been told the mil units have short booms compared to similar commercial lift units. Military uses them for material handling (containers) more than construction. Look carefully at your use and their reach charts.

/ Used Crane Advice
I was the equipment officer/manager for several Navy expeditionary Reserve units. Those low hour units are virtually brand new. The military replaces CESE (civil engineer support equipment) based on calendar age not on hours. Some reserve units do not use stuff very much; but, they over maintain for training of maintenance crews, batteries run down, and rubber goods deteriorate. Beware electrical systems are 24 volt and the batteries are very expensive. In your case you could get by with smaller batteries though.

Because of requirements for durability and reliability over wide conditions; military CESE is way over engineered compared to civilian market equipment. We used to re-certify our cranes every year even though not used just for the training value. That unit you were looking at probably cost DOD $100K +/-. We had a tactical wrecker built onto a 5 Ton cargo truck that cost $350K where a civilian counterpart would be $100K. If you get one be sure and get the O & M Manuals. Engine internal parts are fairly standard but most other parts are unique to the military. Most parts are available in the surplus market place. Major work is done in specialized depot maintenance/repair shops not by field units. In Vietnam I Corps area the Marine Corps actually had depot shops the Seabees built; right across the road from the camp I was in. Military parts were fairly easy to get over their but we had a civilian fire truck that needed a drive shaft for the main pump; previous battalion had on order 6 months, we were there 10 months, still on dead line.

That unit will outlast you 2-1 if maintained. Also they are diesel hogs with engines way bigger than a civilian counterpart. Not built to Green standards.

Ron

Thank you for sharing your expertise. I don't expect to be building anything taller than 25ft and only a few dozen hours a year use most likely (higher fuel usage not a significant issue) so this will be perfect.

My thinking is the 2 piece boom means less to go wrong and easier to repair. The idea of military reliability and very low hours is appealing.

They sound like great machines for the price.

I will probably buy one of these in the next year or two unless I find a better deal on a good condition telehandler or truck crane.

/ Used Crane Advice #8  
In my era the basic crane was a 25 ton lattice Boom crane. Real work horses, not unusual to overload them at times as nothing else was available. The military has since gone to squirt boom cranes (as we called them) due to versatility and compactness. You will find rotating ones in the surplus market now as well as what your were looking at. They range down to 5-10 to capacity, probably closer to your need. We call them Cherry Pickers. The Navy Seabees have now gone to a lot of commercial grade stuff since working alongside some many civilian contractors in combat zones and the cost for special tactical equipment. Before I retired and before HUMVEES, we had even started getting civilian pickups and other small vehicles. They had electrical systems upgraded to 24 volt to make compatible with existing stuff.

Ron

/ Used Crane Advice #9  
I watch a lot of Government auctions and regularly see the same ending bid results on cranes. You can get a lot of bang for your buck but as my buddy always says, "A sale is not good deal if you don't need it." I think it sounds like the crane is way more machine than you need AND it's single purposed. A telehandler is a very versatile machine and could serve regular daily tasks and serve as a crane when needed. The 20K budget is tight but some dedicated auction watching can make it possible.

/ Used Crane Advice #10  
I've been looking into buying a used mobile crane for on-farm construction tasks such as setting steel roof rafters.

Browsing auctions for government equipment I saw many Terex LRT-110, a mil-spec crane, with very low hours (under 50) regularly sell for around $15,000 in operating condition aside from a dead battery. I don't know how old they are, but assume most were made in the 1990s.
Mobile Cranes For Sale | GovPlanet

How do these military cranes compare to other used cranes? Is there expensive maintenance I should expect to do immediately?

Would something else like a carry deck crane or telehandler make more sense? I want to spend under $20,000.
Sell your tractor and buy a compact telehandler: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...pact-telehandler-post3243370.html#post3243370

These are 40' steel trusses:

P1250024.JPG
P1250018.JPG