order you should reinstall a torque converter on a'97 JD 310D Backhoe?

/ order you should reinstall a torque converter on a'97 JD 310D Backhoe? #1  

Sebculb

Gold Member
Tractor
'97 Deere 310D Backhoe
Hi everybody,

Would anyone have any insight on the order you should reinstall a torque converter and reverser on a'97 JD 310D Backhoe? I got one mechanic telling me to install the torque converter first, bolt it down and then install the bell housing and reverser afterwards, and another mechanic saying you muscle the whole assembly in all at once and bolt the converter down through the little hole in the bell housing.

Both swear the other guy is wrong and the torque converter got damaged because I let the other joker touch it. They both say you can't be sure some tooth or coupling or whatever is in all the way if you do it from the other side (specific to both situations) To be fair, the dude that favors installing everything at once was the last one to mess with it before it started squirting oil.

Thanks for any advice,

Sebastian

/ order you should reinstall a torque converter on a'97 JD 310D Backhoe? #2  
The best answer is to call a John Deere dealer and ask them.

/ order you should reinstall a torque converter on a'97 JD 310D Backhoe? #3  
The best answer is to call a John Deere dealer and ask them.[/QUOTE expect the info for free ? I don’t know why the original poster is not using the Deere service manual for setup and assembly specs . I suppose they can afford the time and money to do the job a 2nd time . 1-800-522-7448 for the info.

/ order you should reinstall a torque converter on a'97 JD 310D Backhoe?
Thanks for the info. Is that t phone number for Deere to answer my question or to sell me a service manual? When I've contacted dealers before they were less than entirely forthcoming. Probably need a service manual but its not going to get here before the thing goes back together.

The consensus I've been getting round the way is install the converter and bell housing first. Anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks

/ order you should reinstall a torque converter on a'97 JD 310D Backhoe? #5  
If I worked at a service department, I would not give out free information to the arrogant either...

/ order you should reinstall a torque converter on a'97 JD 310D Backhoe? #6  
Nobody is being arrogant. He's simply asking for experienced advice. None of us poster so far have any to offer. Me included.

/ order you should reinstall a torque converter on a'97 JD 310D Backhoe? #7  
I was not talking about the OP, reread post #3. Actually I feel bad for the OP, tough situation to be in.

/ order you should reinstall a torque converter on a'97 JD 310D Backhoe? #8  
In an automotive application the transmission and the torque converter are installed together. There are too many splines and drive tangs to line up while trying to muscle everything in. Without knowing what the service manual says I would install the reverser and the torque converter together. If the service manual says to install them separately then that's the way I would do it.

/ order you should reinstall a torque converter on a'97 JD 310D Backhoe? #9  
Thanks for the info. Is that t phone number for Deere to answer my question or to sell me a service manual? When I've contacted dealers before they were less than entirely forthcoming. Probably need a service manual but its not going to get here before the thing goes back together.

The consensus I've been getting round the way is install the converter and bell housing first. Anyone else have any experience with this?k

Thanks

1-800-522-7448 is to order the manuals in hard copy or CD . Do you give away business and supply info for free that you bought to a stranger than doesn’t purchase from your business ?

/ order you should reinstall a torque converter on a'97 JD 310D Backhoe?
In an automotive application the transmission and the torque converter are installed together. There are too many splines and drive tangs to line up while trying to muscle everything in. Without knowing what the service manual says I would install the reverser and the torque converter together. If the service manual says to install them separately then that's the way I would do it.

Thanks for the advice! I've been getting this opinion from lots of the local professionals also. The dude that rebuilt my demolished torque converter, a CAT dealer mechanic that I managed to corner for a second, my car mechanic, and one of the two independent machinery mechanics I know. So I'm leaning towards doing that way after tallying up the votes. Now the reverser pump had to go to the machine shop get some bushings redone that got damaged too. Was hoping to rebuild it tomorrow but looking like Thursday earliest.