Compact Excavator on slope

/ Compact Excavator on slope #1  

BigEddy

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 855, 322, AMT626 plus whatever my son dragged home this month
I want to excavate my pond (again) and thought I might be better off renting a compact excavator for a day, than using my backhoe. The excavator can reach further, and deposit the spoils up on the bank, rather than beside the tractor where I have to move them again.

Question is - given I have wide steeply sloped banks up to the level lawn, (can mow with garden tractor, but not comfortable on my 855) how would the excavator handle it?

Can the excavator be effectively used on the slope without tipping into the pond, or do I have to first build a level platform to work off, and
Am I better facing the tracks up/down hill, or can I run side-hill digging as I go?

It's been a while since I used an excavator, and then it was only on level surfaces. (can't you tell) Appreciate input from those of you more experienced.

(p.s. - don't tell my wife- She won't be pleased ifI tell her I want to rent something. She thinks I have enough toys of my own)

/ Compact Excavator on slope #2  
From what you say I would think it would be no problem with a excavator and probably better.So long as the ground to the pond is solid, and would think it is as you were contemplating using your backhoe.The advantage with the excavator is the blade in front usually drops about 14" below grade.So once you get where you want to be just drop the blade which will raise the machine to level or close enough.Just keep the bucket in close when turning.Also keep the tracks facing up/down the hill as it will be a lot more stable and controlable.A few pic's would make it easier to give a opinion

/ Compact Excavator on slope #3  
Ditto nobull1....putting your tracks parallel with the slope could result in tipping over if the grade is too high. We had a guy do that to one of our machines, reached out on a slope and grabbed a stump and a role over he did. Show us a few pics of the process just for lasts.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blake
WA