hydro static backhoe

/ hydro static backhoe #1  

elk12

Hi I'm new here, I just bought a Ingersoll rand backhoe (bl 275) and its hydro and it doesn't seem to have much power to work the front end loader, when the oil gets hot or it has been worked hard it doesn't seem to want to go very good anyone have any ideas or did i buy a pc of junk you can give it to me strait if you would like.

Also it has one tire that is a differnt size than the rest. I didn't know if that would hurt anything. other than that its a pretty neat backhoe it has four wheel drive and four wheel steering

thank you in advance

/ hydro static backhoe #2  
It doesn't have a lot of power... that's odd. Most have said it has plenty of power. This is a dumb suggestion, but is the throttle in the setting that gives most power? Keep in mind, also, that with a hystat machine, the most torque occurs when you are barely pressing the levers forward. If you "floor" the pedal or levels, you're actually not getting maximum torque.

As far as the one wheel being different... are you talking about one axle's wheels, or ONE wheel? Because if it's one wheel that's different... that's not good.

/ hydro static backhoe
Hi thanks for the reply, Its the tire thats a differnt size . and the throttle is on full the whole time its like sometimes it doesn't want to back up after i have filled the bucket

/ hydro static backhoe #4  
Similar problem with the Earth Force machine (see above thread). Maybe the two of you can work something out.

/ hydro static backhoe #5  
When i first came to TBN there was a fella that had an Earthforce or Ingersol Bobcat that had similar problems he did some modifications to it and made alot of noticable improvements. Do a search on here for Earth Force and it should be in there. SOme of the older members may know the posters name.

/ hydro static backhoe #6  
I'd be suspicious of one of two things wrong: First, it's possible that the hydraulic oil filter is dirty, and second, it may have too light a grade of oil in it for the temperature conditions. I didn't look to see where you live, but if you're in a really hot area, you're going to need a higher viscosity oil. I've got 650 hours on an EF-500 and have never experienced that problem, except when I had a dirty filter early on. I also switch to synthetic oil (Amsoil) and that allowed me to go up a grade in the viscosity, which seemed to give me more power at lower engine speeds.

As for the poster who said you have the most torque at lower engine speeds, that's not true with this machine. He's apparently used to the skid-steer style of hydrostatic control mechanism. The EF/IR TLB uses an entirely different Bosch/Rexroth system they call "automotive". See my old threads by searching for "EarthForce" for a more complete description, if you're interested, or just ask. I used to be famous for including more than anyone wanted to know in my messages (back when I was a little more regular in my postsings - and before some difficult circumstances in life changed everything for me), so I'm trying to be a little less long-winded than I was before... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ hydro static backhoe #7  
BTW, my EF-500/IR BL575 will turn the tires over with the bucket loaded, on concrete, even if the oil temp is near the top of the normal range, and I've got bigger-than-stock radial tires. If it had more power, I couldn't do anything with it. That having been said, I do notice that hot oil require higher throttle speeds than cold oil to produce the same tractive effort. As I said in my previous post, this machine's hydro control is not at all like that of a skid steer. The displacement of the pump and motor is controlled by system pilot pressure. Other things being equal, more throttle equals higher pilot pressure, which in turns causes the "automotive" system to go to higher displacement in the motor (unless you're in "low speed" mode, which forces the motor to maximum displacement anyway), and lower displacement in the pump.

/ hydro static backhoe #8  
Hello Mark,
Long time, no post. Have you done any more mods to the EF other than all of the lights?

/ hydro static backhoe #9  
Hmmm, well now, let's see... Do a politician's lips move? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think I've gotten another attachment or two, but I'll have to dig into the old postings to see what the last thing I reported on is.

I put an air-conditioner on the EF-500 - I don't remember if I told y'all about that or not. I made some modifications to the "transmission" pump and motor controls that ramp the torque curve up quite a bit. I also added a valve that lets me control the ground speed without lowering engine speed (so it will work more like CUT hydrostatics) so I can use the brush cutter and tiller more easily. I think that's about it. So far...

/ hydro static backhoe #10  
Oh yeah, and the next Harv is on the East Coast, I want him to paint "The Beast" (as a friend of mine affectionately nick-named it) a bolder shade of pink more in keeping with its personality. (Interestingly, I just got back from almost 5 weeks of volunteer hurricane-relief work in Florida and that's what it became known as down there, too, and without any help from me, but that's a story for another thread...)