Case 580SL squeal in backhoe

/ Case 580SL squeal in backhoe #1  

Tractor_Joe

I have a Case 580SL loader/backhoe that after about 5-10 minutes of use on the backhoe the hydraulics begin to squeal. The same type of squeal you would hear if you turn a power steering wheel too far.

Here's the thing. It only squeals on the swing move left and right, never on the boom, stick or bucket. The squeal doesn't get any louder or quieter with a load or moving freely. I don't think it's temp related as I've run the backhoe from cold and after long use of the front end loader and the time seems to be the same. Although once it starts it seems to keep going. I don't notice any power loss but it's kind of annoying and bugging me as if something might be wrong or going wrong.

Any insight is GREATLY appreciated.

Joel

/ Case 580SL squeal in backhoe #2  
Do you grease it regularly?

Blake
WA

/ Case 580SL squeal in backhoe #3  
Joel,

When my Case 480F was new, it used to squeal sometimes when swinging the boom and it did sound something like the hydraulic bypass valve. What I think it was is the seals on the swing cylinders wearing in. It eventually went away. If you only hear it during the boom swing, maybe put someone safely on the ground and see if the sound is coming from the swing cylinder.

John

/ Case 580SL squeal in backhoe #4  
Joe

Do you have wobble sticks? When you reach the end of the hydraulic cylinder travel the pump or circuit bypasses. For example, when the bucket is completely curled and the lever is still pulled the bucket cylinder bypasses. If you're working quickly you may not realize that one hand has held the lever down while the other hand is trying to swing the boom. With the wobble sticks you may be inadvertantly performing two functions. That is, instead of just moving the lever sideways you may also be pushing or pulling the lever. The levers could also use adjustment and lubrication. When this happens try stopping and deliberately move the boom swing lever in one direction only. Happens to me when I jump off one machine and onto another and try to go like a bat out of hades. I look down at my hands and they are completely uncoordinated.

RonL

/ Case 580SL squeal in backhoe
Thank you for the responses. I do grease it on a regular basis. I should clarify that the squeal is not coming from the cylinders themself its coming from the pump or engine compartment. Actually probably from the pump or main hydraulic valve. Or directly in front of the steering column. It is a wooble stick and I'm almost certain that I'm not moving the bucket and swinging at the same time when the noise occurs. I can just swing the backhoe back and forth freely and it makes the noise. AND the noise is very different from what I belive is the bypass noise that you hear when you fully extend or retract a cylinder. One thought that has been in the back of my mind is the Hydraulic fluid I'm using. It's a generic brand but according to the label approved for Case machinery as well as other main brands. Of course the manual says Case oils only but many people have told me that this was suitiable. Am I wrong there?

Joel

/ Case 580SL squeal in backhoe #6  
My guess would be the Relief Valve. The swing is on a whole different circuit than the rest of the funtions. It's called a priority swing circuit. It is just a guess, but it sounds like it may need some adjustment.