Laser Grading

/ Laser Grading #1  

Oversized2

I’m considering purchasing some type of laser controlled grading attachment. Would like to have some input about the good and bad of different boxes or graders. Also opinions of best type of set-up (automatic machine control, receiver on rod, dual or single slope, ect.. As long as were asking questions, Best all around machine to use. Would like to do primarily commercial flatwork preparation (Grading and compaction). Would like to use something in the lines of a Bobcat T190, ASV 50 or 60, or a Cat 257. For the attachment, it would be either a Box Blade and, or Grader Blade. Would like to fit the niche of taking the sub-grade from +/- .1’ to +/- .25’ prior to pouring the concrete slab. Some of this work could be inside buildings.

Thanks, Bud

/ Laser Grading #2  
I've seen the Level Best grading box from the TBN-advertiser, ATI Corporation. They have both skid steer- and tractor-mounted grade boxes with laser controls.

As for your other questions, I don't have any experience.

/ Laser Grading #4  
I use Topcon.They do have one with a slope option

/ Laser Grading
Correction, suppose to be +/_ .025' (1/4).

Thanks for everyones input, Still don't know which way I'm going to go. Alot depends on the going price for laser grading. Those of you who are laser grading, what price structure do you use?

Did come accross an interesting machine in my searching.

11' l X 5' W X 7' H. 6' Blade

Attachments

• 540936-Grader.bmp
    86.3 KB · Views: 527
   / Laser Grading #6  
Topcon seems to be the cutting edge right now.We use it on motor graders to finish parking lots and roads(laser actually controls hydraulics).On dozers I have used just a rod mounted on the blade with a readout to keep you on grade on the slopes of dams.I have worked with guys who have a boxblade which the laser controls.They were building casting pads for pour and tilt concrete walls and said it's the only way to go.I'm not sure about the .025 tolerance your seeking though.The tightest specs I've ever had was.05 and that was concrete on a government dam.Are you building a clock? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif clock? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Laser Grading #7  
I have just put in a pool and will need to grade around the perimeter. I purchased a fairly cheap level with build in laser. I planned to stake out the area and then adjust the stake heights so that they are at a uniform height using the laser. I would then back fill to the height of the stakes. Do you think this will work?

/ Laser Grading #8  
osymandius, I'd be interested in knowing how your leveling operation works out. I bought a set at Costco yesterday for $45 with a rotating beacon and carpenter's level with tribrach (thingy with 3 leveling screws that the level clamps to). The beacon is almost unusable outside at distances greater than 20'. The level is marginally acceptable at 30'. That's probably good for your project. I'll probably take mine back /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Cheers!

/ Laser Grading #9  
I thought of getting around the distance problem by doing the leveling as it was getting dark. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Laser Grading #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( osymandius, I'd be interested in knowing how your leveling operation works out. I bought a set at Costco yesterday for $45 with a rotating beacon and carpenter's level with tribrach (thingy with 3 leveling screws that the level clamps to). The beacon is almost unusable outside at distances greater than 20'. The level is marginally acceptable at 30'. That's probably good for your project. I'll probably take mine back /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Cheers! )</font>

One of the girls at my wife's work bought eight of those at Sam's for gifts. We ended up with one. They were unloading them at the discount section at Sam's for less than six bucks each.

I've already got a decent rotary level for construction work plus the Robolazer torpedo level.

I guess she can use it for hanging pictures.