TLB for small construction business..suggestions?

/ TLB for small construction business..suggestions? #1  

macahs

Hi all,

I've read a lot of posts but figured I would post my own to see if I could get a more direct answer for my specific needs.

My husband has a construction business and has been contemplating buying a Tractor w/ the loader/backhoe (3 pt hitch). He is going to be doing sitework, mainly slabs for garages. We need something big enough to get the excavation done but small enough to trailer w/ his 1 ton truck. We know we do not want an excavator at this time, we may get that in the future.

Can you all suggest a big enough tractor that is fairly priced? We were looking at the JD 110 - a newer one (2000+).

Thanks!

/ TLB for small construction business..suggestions? #2  
Hi, I run a lanscape/home improvement business. Currently I have a J.D. 110 TLB. I have been doing this for about 10 years now. In the past I have owned/used skid steer with backhoe attachment, J.D. 4600 with FEL/Hoe, and others.

I use a 320 S.S. for some projects. When I bought the 110 I demoed a mini-ex. Nice machine but did not fit all my needs.

I really like the 110 it trailers well and has sufficient power for all I ask of it. If you get one I think you will be happy with it. If you need to run imppliments off the three point, don't forget to get the hyd. piped back there from the factory, if you don't you can't get it later! Costs more, but if you need it, you have to specify up front.

/ TLB for small construction business..suggestions? #3  
Some of the Kubota machines are nice as well. Are you looking exclusively for a compact TLB? Or do you require different attachments to be put on the rear? (As in the Deere 110.)

/ TLB for small construction business..suggestions?
Thanks for the posts! Thanks for the heads up about the attachment as well! Good to know the 110 trailers nicely.. that's a plus!

As far as the Kubota goes- that was the other one we were eye balling. We didn't know a model but have heard great things about those as well. We definitely would like to add on attachments just for our personal use (splitter, etc).

Thanks again!

/ TLB for small construction business..suggestions? #5  
The Kubota L39 is the same size as the 110, The L48 is about 10% larger. The L39 is a brand new model and a bit hard to come by. It does offer hydraulic self leveling and duel hydraulic backhoe pumps, which the 110 does not. 3pt hitch is standard, a $600 option from Deere.

Thats the 15 second skinny from the Kubota sales guy.

/ TLB for small construction business..suggestions? #6  
One thing I like about the 110 is the creep-to-reposition feature. That allows you to move the machine while operating the hoe. All you have to do is move a little lever. This may be helpful if you are digging a trench or something.

Thanks so much for the posts, they're very helpful! We're going to keep our eyes open for a used one- still haven't decided which manufacturer. =)

Perfect- I think I've been to a couple but I think this thread is great for someone else in my position as well... so again, I appreciate all the feedback!

/ TLB for small construction business..suggestions? #10  
I have used two 'hoes not mentioned here. The first is the Kubota L35. The second is a Bobcat B250.

The L35 is smaller than the Deere 110 I think. Nice machine though, that's proven itself out over the years. I only have two days on a rental machine... But in that time we did some hard digging; it worked very well.

The Bobcat B250 is noted in another thread on this forum. It is a serious work machine. It is a full TLB, not a skidsteer... It has a nice hoe on it. It also has a great loader with really good lift specs. The loader is also fully compatible with all the Bobcat/skidsteer implements including full hydraulics.

The first time I rented the L35, I had to take it back 1/2 way through the job. It worked well, but we had to manuever in real tight space. I went and picked up the B250; it has all wheel steer and was able to manuever better.

The B250 does not have a 3pt hitch. But, it has that full compatibility with quik-tach skidsteer impements. I mentioned above, it has full hydraulic and electrical setup just like a skidsteer.