Komatsu D45A ?

/ Komatsu D45A ? #1  

jdkid

Gold Member
Akaroa South Island ,New Zealand (about 1/2 way do
Tractor
8350 valmet with 980SL FEL duels had a 150 Hp deutz just sold it 10 NOV 01
Hi guys
well we have moved into our new farm and found the tracks needed a heap of work and very slipery (heaps of clay and steep hills) also heaps of scrub i was looking at a mulcher but most is too steep for wheel tractor even with duels .now i'm looking for a dozer i did see a CAT D4E for sale but the track gear was shot to bit but i know where a Komatsu D45A is for sale has any one seen one or know of someone who has one it's a 1982 mod just before the D41's come out even drop me a line off line if ya can help
thanks
JD Kid

/ Komatsu D45A ? #2  
JD, I don't know a thing about the equipment you're asking about, but I sure notice that name "Komatsu" on a lot of big track hoes on job sites around here. I don't even know what they make other than the track hoes, but apparently they're pretty popular with bigger construction companies.

Bird

/ Komatsu D45A ? #3  
Hey JD Kid,

I'll ask around,plenty of K-mutts around here. Someone told me that they make the smaller Cats too,that are used up here. Might want to post at @g-online and the crawler&dozer board at www.ytmag.com Where the heck is pudding when we need him,eh? Just when he probably has the answers we need he's off on a field trip!!

/ Komatsu D45A ? #4  
They make a darn good bulldozer too.

/ Komatsu D45A ? #5  
For starters go to :
www.rockanddirt.com

All the connections you would ever need. I ordered the print issue for $16.00 a year one issue a month, tons and tons of heavy equipment to look at.

/ Komatsu D45A ? #6  
lol.....bit more rubbish on the new farm than ya thought!!

think JAPANESE IMPORT DIGGER!

a bulldozer is harder on tracks than a digger......cause they always movin......tracks = $....BIG $

dad brought a 7.4t IHI jap import digger for $13k .....it was rough.....but mechanically very sound

tracks were above average......only major problem was it needed a radiator

if ya want a digger buy one bigger than ya need,.......i will guarantee what ever digger ya buy you will grow out of it

the ole D4D and D4E have been favourites for years eh?!......great machine.......some have done real big hours

one of the local contractors at home once had a D65A?.....me thinks it ended up and porter hire in hamilton........could always ring them for general questions........they import all brands

laters.....just my 2 cents.....

probably haven't even answered ya questions.......

pudding

OI you! Get back to work

/ Komatsu D45A ? #7  
i thought small cats were mitsubishi?

there diggers are

later

pudding

OI you! Get back to work

/ Komatsu D45A ? #8  
I have a D21P6 Komatsu which I have used for 3 years. I have rebuilt the the undercarriage, main clutch,steering clutches and put new bearings and seals in the final drives. Lot of work and a little expensive but I now have a like new dozer. I don't know about the D45A but on the D20 the sprockets are press fit on the splined-tapered final drive shaft. To remove them Komatsu says you need a special puller but you can use a high capacity bottle jack with the head against the shaft and a log chain wrapped around the base and sprocket. Stand aside, not directly in front of the sprocket when you pump the jack, the sprocket is heavy and will fly off with force and could break your leg. Good dozer ,but with any older dozer you need some mechanical skills. Hope this helps.

/ Komatsu D45A ? #9  
I don't know much about the Komatsu's except that I don't see many of their dozers around here (CT,NY,MASS)that doesn't mean they are not good.I would personally stick w/a Deere(450D or 550B)or a Cat(D3 or D4) these machines are just about bullet proof and you can get new and used parts just about anywhere,also the re-sale value will be better if you ever wanted to get rid of it.Like someone else mentionedyou may want to look into a used excavator possibly w/a blade,in the long run a much more usefull machine,also the older smaller Cats are Mitsubishi's.

/ Komatsu D45A ? #10  
jd kid, all good machines. alot of my customers run komatsus. the ones that own them swear by them. older ones used to be cat copies. a couple of the mechanics that work for the companys say that they are never down. it's all in what you want and price.