FORD 555 TLB

/ FORD 555 TLB #1  

onegreenday

Bronze Member
I've been looking for a used 555 and noticed that a lot of them have rebuilt motors with only around 3000 hours on the machines.

Seems like the engines didn't last too long before needing a rebuild. Any inside info on those motors? Thanks.

/ FORD 555 TLB #2  
I have a 555E with 3,000 hours. Now I'm jinxed. hahaha Not sure about the hours issue, but the cylinders are all leaking one after another. I've rebuild three and now two more have just gone out on me.

One thing about the engines is all the parts seem to be from eastern europe. The starter is some czech piece of junk, but the engine is a perkins, so I was able to get a Lucas starter from a specialty store. Half the price and twice the starter.

Is it a 555 without any letter after it?

Eddie

/ FORD 555 TLB
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="red">Is it a 555 without any letter after it? </font> )</font>

It's a 1988 555B for $20K through a NH dealer (from a trade)
2850 hours 3 cyl 201 cu in, with cab.

I mispoke when I said " a lot" of 555's had engine problems. The 1984-86 Ford 555 I rent needed a new engine at around 4000 hours (farmer thinks a lack of coolant inhibitors caused the engine to fail) and a 1985 555 in the local want-ad has a new engine at 3050 hours.

I'm just surprised how quick these 2 units needed new engines; not to smear the whole Model #555 line; sorry.

/ FORD 555 TLB #4  
Funny you two should write about the 555.
My contractor told me he had to rebuild his too. Because the starters are junky he likes to leave it running. Well, he left it running and while he got off to do some dozer work the thing overheated because the coolant either leaked out or the radiator needed recored. He said it was a pain in the rear due to the machine having to be split in half to get to the engine. His has a bunch of beefy guards which needed removing.

/ FORD 555 TLB #5  
Mine is a 1998 555 E model. It's two wheel drive, open cab and had around 1,800 hours on it when I bought it two years ago. I paid $18,000 for it from a used tractor dealer. www.tnt-tractors.com is the guy near Dallas.

My NH dealer has a 555 D for sale for $19,000 with 2,000 hours. Open cab and two wheel drive.

I don't know prices in your area, but for such an older machine, I'd expect it to be quite a bit less around here.

Good luck,
Eddie

Oh yeah, mine's been sitting for the last couple months and all of a sudden I've got two leaking cylinders. The first one is always the hardest if you've never rebuilt one, the rest are easier, but just as much pain and suffering.

/ FORD 555 TLB #7  
the engines are made by newholland on the E models.the excavating comp I work for has 8 555e and 4 675E all are 99 and newer the oldest 2 have right at 10.000 hrs and no problems and the rest have anywere from 3500 and up and no problems at all.I do remember the 97&98 had a defrent engine it was smaller and they did have issues but we didnt have any.all of these have 5.0 littersim going to tell you 88 or 90 hp.the 675 is like 115hp with powershift and that thing has 7500hrs and the power is unreal thats what I run most of the time.