Case 580B hp

/ Case 580B hp #1  

Syncro

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF 1532, Kubota B-26 TLB
Does anyone know for sure what the hp rating was on the old Case 580B's of the mid 1970's?

/ Case 580B hp #2  
I had one,It is around 48hp.An it was a good hoe,It was to big
for what i did with it.Down size to a smallerhoe,The only problem i had was the ring gear&pinion is to weak for the power it had.I did pop the two on mind. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Case 580B hp
Thanks, I was thinking it was 40 something. I bought one new in '75 and it was a good machine, but as you say it had weaknesses. The loader was another weak design and very prone to cracking.

When you think about it, the 580 B was the last of what was really a farm tractor modified to industrial use. The 580 C started the new generation of truly commercial machines built on a frame instead of the Ag style of bolting the major components directly together.

Anyways, thanks.
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Case 580B hp #4  
The 580B's had 3 different choices on Engines, and you had 3 different choices on Transmissions.

To answer your question:

Diesel Engine: 57gross Hp (50 SAE NET) 188 cubic inch, with power shuttle transmission. Same engine with dry clutch transmission 48gross HP, (43 SAE NET)

and the final choice was a 55 gross HP Gasoline Engine, with dry clutch.

All Engines were also available with hydrostic drive, set up exactly like the John Deere Two Pedal System. Hydro wasn't a big hit back then, it was discontinued during the last phase of the 580B's.

/ Case 580B hp
Thanks for the info on the Case 580B and also the 580E. I owned a 580B a long time ago that I had purchased new, I think it was ~ $18k in 1975 with cab, extenda hoe, heater, torque converter diesel. It was a nice machine except for the loader which was prone to weld breakage, as was all the early Case loaders. My reason for asking on both these machines was for performance comparisons, as at the time I was looking at a used 580E. Turned out I purchased a very nice JD-210C instead. Really like that John Deere. Anyways, thanks again for responding.

/ Case 580B hp #6  
I'm pretty sure there was a 207ci dsl offered also
.Jason, did you ever find anything on that Case BH bucket interchange I asked you about?

/ Case 580B hp #7  
I sent you a PM. You didn't get it? I swear I must have a setting or something on my home computer that doesn't let my PM's go through.

I'll try to find what I wrote and send it to you from my computer at my office.

/ Case 580B hp #8  
My books don't mention a 207cui engine for the 580B's. They might have had a later revision in the 580B' line up. But I doubt it, because the last manual I have for the B's was from the final year of production, before the new 580C's. However the 580C was a 207cui. It was a 55hp, unitized main frame. Loader was built onto the main frame, unlike the B's, two part frame. Also the driveline was componetized, for easy removal and repair of driveline parts. The other big improvement on the 580C's over the B's was bigger pins and bushings. The B's got sloppy too fast from wear at the pin joints. The C's corrected this problem quite a bit.

The first run of the 580D also had the same engine as the 580C. Same HP and everything. One big difference between these two machines was the revamped hydraulics on the D series. Also of course was the style of the cab and a few other features, like the clutch cut out button on the loader lever etc. Until the Super D came out about a year and a half after production of the D Lineup. The Super D's came out with Cummin's engines w/Turbo, and was the first Case backhoe to offer 4WD.

/ Case 580B hp
Jason, very interesting post, thanks. You really know the Case lineup. They sure have came a long ways since the demise of the 580 B, although I think most of that old iron is still in use somewhere. The change to component style design and better loaders frames in all of the brands revolutionized the industry.