Post Hole Digging with excavator

/ Post Hole Digging with excavator #1  

Botabill

Platinum Member
I have a Kubota KX41 excavator and a BX 1800 tractor. I'm thinking about getting a post hole digger to use with one of them. I know there are some clearance challenges with the BX tractors but I wonder if my excavator (a just under 2 ton machine) would be OK to post hole dig with. I'm worried about the torque of digging holes and if it will damage the boom/stick on the small excavator. Anyone have opinions?

/ Post Hole Digging with excavator #2  
The escavator should handle a phd fine just don't abuse the machine trying to dig holes. Let the auger do the work, don't try to force it.

/ Post Hole Digging with excavator #3  
Where I live I was the first to use an auger on a mini ex. I had to put in a retaining wall on a chert hill on a bluff for my uncle. The rental store had an auger for a bobcat but when the boom was raised it was only a few feet away from the carrier. I made a mount to put in on the rented Deere excavator, THat was a hand machine being able to reach 10 feet out and drill or reaching up on to put of a hill to put in holes.

/ Post Hole Digging with excavator #4  
I have used a Mcmillian post hole digger on a kx121-3, It did an excellent job I used an 18" auger. the larger auger helped when boring into alot of rock. I will say that it would do a 4 foot hole in less then 1 min. I sold the 121 a year ago and have not used the auger on the 161. I would suggest you talk to the Mcmillian people or who ever the mfg you are looking at they can give you a better Idea what you can expect from the auger on your machine.

/ Post Hole Digging with excavator #5  
Can't help you with the post hole question, Check your PM's
I sent you one awhile back,

/ Post Hole Digging with excavator
Hi Trackks9 Just figured out what a PM is and responded moments ago.