Track Loader For Residential Use - Am I Insane?

/ Track Loader For Residential Use - Am I Insane? #21  
Take a look at a mini skid steer you can get used cheap. Boxer,Toro Dingo.Bobcat and Kanga. Keep the tractor.

/ Track Loader For Residential Use - Am I Insane? #22  
By "track loader" are you referring to the skid steer with tracks? Or a bulldozer with a loader instead of a blade?

The tracked skid steers seem to only be available with fire breathing 90 HP engines and are very heavy. Tracks wear out, lawn is destroyed when steering, and mucho fuel is consumed.

I went from a small dozer to a tractor and must say that the tractor is much nicer on the terrain.

/ Track Loader For Residential Use - Am I Insane?
tlbuser,

Thanks for the reply.

<font color="blue"> You said a wheeled skidsteer would be unstable on the slope, yet a Toolcat may be OK. </font>

I think the operative word here is "may". Obviously, I don't know. But, from a novice's viewpoint, as I look at the machine, the CG of the ToolCat appears more favorable than a skidsteer. To my eyes, the skidsteer looks a little top heavy. Pure speculation on my part. But, you make a good point.

<font color="blue"> If you've got to get out from under the payment your in, to get a payment on something else, you might want to reprioritize your wish list also.
</font>

Didn't mean to imply that I was trying to get out from under tractor payments at all. However, with a new home, I certainly don't want add another substantial expense for what to me is pretty much a toy. Hence, my desire to (a) limit my fleet to one machine that will do most of what I want to do with it and (b) not be foolish by buying a new machine when there are probably very adequate pieces of used equipment out there at substantial savings. Something close to an even swap would, in my view, just be prudent.

For the narrow trails I'm making and the other clearing I want to do, a dozer is just too big, as is a full sized TLB. The manuverability of the skidsteer would be nice as would the narrow footprint.

I know I'm probably coming across as arguementative with everyone's suggestions, and I don't mean to be. Rather, I'm trying to better communicate exactly what I'm trying to accomplish and what i'm trying to avoid. For example, tlbuser suggested a steel tracked loader for "construction, rough grade, roadway" . Well, those things have already been done. I just want something for "productive playtime". Making a narrow, curvy trail through the woods, clearing out underbrush in the woods (while leaving most of the trees), planting trees and shrubs around the house (I know i could use a shovel - but what's the fun in that?), moving a truck load of mulch to planting beds, moving a pallet of sod, re-grading a gravel drive when it gets some pot holes. Small stuff like that. I'm not a big project person.

Most of these I COULD do with my NH 29D. However, my woods do have some areas where the slope may raise the pucker factor with the NH. The tight trails I'm making may make manuvering the NH a little challenging in some areas. Planting shrubs with a front mounted auger would be easier than with either a BH or a rear PTO driven auger. And so on.

I do appreciate the feedback and suggestions, and I would like to have a dozer, TLB, mini-excavator, etc., but I was really trying to ask about the "practicality" of switching from a conventional CUT to a rubber tracked loader for the tasks I plan to do on this property. Thus far, the most valuable reply to me addressed the issue of turf damage from the rubber tracks. Other things that would be of interest to me would be reliability and maintenance issues. An example of this, as I have mentioned before, is track replacement costs. For someone who is using their machinery to generate income, this is just the cost of doing business. For the homeowner, casual user, this becomes a more important part of the equation. It is for these reasons that I questioned my "sanity" for even considering something like a track loader.

I hope this clarifies my original intent with this post. I hate it when someone asks for my opinion and then they proceed to tell me why my opinion is wrong. I was beginning to feel I was doing the same thing here. I apologize if I've come across as unappreciative.

Dan,

<font color="blue"> What I'm almost certain to do before the end of this month is buy a 17hp DR mower. </font>

You are much more energetic than me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I rented something similar a few years ago. They really work well. But.... (Isn't there always a "but"). I have never plowed a mule before. But when I was using the walk behind brush cutter, I remember thinking that it must be similar to working a mule. I remember a similar thought coming to me when I rented a sod cutter one summer.

I'm too old and tired to be looking a walk behind machinery. But you make a good point - it would do some of the things I'm planning and at a very reasonable costs.

/ Track Loader For Residential Use - Am I Insane? #25  
bmac,

One thing your certainly not short on is opinions and advice /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Not sure I saw this reading through the thread but have you used either the tracked skid steer or a wheeled unit? You mentioned the only useful advice or information you felt you have got so far was the grass or sod being torn to shreads?

What about compaction. While the weight of you tractor may do some harm it will be pail in comparison to a bobcat. You will likely do damage to your yard, septic and concrete working around to plant shrubs.

If time allows I IMHO would look at a rental for a week or month and go to town on your trails. If at that point you feel the tractor could be replaced it would be money well spent an if not you don't have to beat your head against a wall.

Good luck jeff

/ Track Loader For Residential Use - Am I Insane? #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> You said a wheeled skidsteer would be unstable on the slope, yet a Toolcat may be OK. </font>
I think the operative word here is "may". Obviously, I don't know. But, from a novice's viewpoint, as I look at the machine, the CG of the ToolCat appears more favorable than a skidsteer. To my eyes, the skidsteer looks a little top heavy. Pure speculation on my part. But, you make a good point. )</font>
bmac,
You're on the right "track" in thinking about a Bobcat Toolcat in areas you wouldn't take a CUT or standard wheeled skid steer (of course there are spec. machines that can go on even greater slopes). My Toolcat with 4-wheel steering, low COG, axle oscillation, nicely balanced weight, and so on can do a lot of what you want. See threads in TBN Toolcat forum on slope ability, etc.

I've been following your various threads, and believe a Toolcat comes closest to what you want in a nearly all-in-one machine, and it offers full-service dealer support. And I've done the tasks you plan in my five months of ownership. It's a real pleasure to be in the cab with good visibility for front-mounted brush cutting and grappling, with manueverability of 4-wheel steering! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I suggest you arrange a multi-day demo on your property of a Toolcat WITH multiple attachments including a root rake brush grapple, front-mounted rotary brushcutter, various buckets, and more. Trying out the tasks you want to do is the the way to decide what equip. to purchase, as well as the extensive research you're doing off-seat! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Eddie,

<font color="blue"> Hopefully you're just in a dreaming, planning mode and aren't in a hurry to do anything rash.
</font>

One thing you may eventually come to know about me is that I rarely do anything in a hurry. I think I spent a year or more contemplating a tractor purchase. Probably 3 years before I bit the bullet on the ATVs. I'm in no hurry.

And, yes, I will definately rent before I buy. I have a tendency to come up with some pretty goofy ideas. Since learning that there are internet discussion forums for almost any product / service out there, instead of trying to curb these insane thoughts, I run with them. I find a forum and start reading. I then might get the courage to share my insanity with the experts on whatever forum I might be perusing on my fact-finding journey. As you can see from this thread, a simple question can lead to responses from very bright and helpful people. Sometimes the responses lead me in a totally different direction from where I was originally heading. It can be real educational.

<font color="blue"> Why is 750 pounds not enough lift for you? What do you need it for?
</font>

I don't use my tractor much now. I'm on a .8 acre parcel and there just aren't many projects that I want to do. As I said earlier, I really bought the tractor prematurely thinking we would be moving sooner than we are. But, just off the top of my head, I can give you 2 examples where the tractor's lift capacity disappointed me. One, a year or so ago, I picked up a pallet of sod and brought it home. Had to unload it by hand as the tractor was way undersized. Did it kill me to unload it manually? Of course not. Would I have liked to just drive up with the pallet forks, lift the load off of my truck and set it where I wanted it? You betcha. More recently, my wife went to the tile store and bought a load of ceramic tile. Brought it home in the truck. I had to divide the load on to 2 pallets to unload it. In order to get the tile back on the truck, I had to divide it into 3 pallets just to get the lift I needed.

In some respects, I suffer from whatever Tim The Toolman has. I always want enough power to do whatever might come along, even if that only happens infrequently. Its a sickness of mine. I can envision having a load of rock delivered for landscaping purposes. That stuff is heavy. Sure, I could make more trips with smaller loads. But why? Also, lets say I want to buy a nice cabinet saw or wood lathe or some other piece of heavy shop equipment. I'd like to meet the delivery truck, unload it, drive it around to the basement and place it where it needs to be. I'm not saying I am the most practical person on the planet. Probably just hard-headed.

Now, as far as getting a larger utility tractor, I don't have a dedicated barn. You've seen pictures of my house under construction. I've got the equivalent of a 3 car garage in my basement with a 7.5' garage door opening and 8' or 8.5' ceiling height. I want to be able to place whatever I get in there. (Come to think of it, I haven't looked at the dimensions of a track loader to even see if it would fit in there. Need to put that on my to-do list). A larger tractor would be less manuverable in the woods than my 29D. Other than the increase in raw power, I'm not sure that is the answer.

<font color="blue"> Wait until you move in and spend a few months living on your land with the tractor you have before trying to decide what you need. It's kind of silly making these desisions when you don't even live there yet. </font>

That's my plan. Now, once I've rented a skidsteer or a trackloader and decide that its the greatest thing since sliced bread, then I may have a self-control problem if I find a good deal. That is an unlikely scenario.

<font color="blue"> My thinking is you have around $15,000 that's burning a whole in your pocket!! </font>

Eddie, you more than anyone should know that any money I have is just burning a whole in my builder's pocket. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="blue">If you look at some of the small dozers in the 40 to 60 hp range, you can find all sorts of them with 6 way blades, in good shape and fairly new for well under your budget. </font>

Well, I must be denser than rock. Eddie, you know that I respect your opinion. And, as much as friendships can develop on a discussion forum, I do consider you a friend. You've taken alot of your valuable time to help me with construction decisions, shared your ideas, and tried to protect me from myself on issues like this. But, I feel that I must ask this question. Bare with me, please. ARE YOU CRAZY???? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just kidding. Other than the ATV trail, (which, in the grand scheme of things, isn't that big of a deal) I can't for the life of me think of one thing that I would use a dozer for. The additional clearing / thinning of the woods I want to do I wouldn't want done in dozer scale. Certainly, nothing around the house. Touch-ups to the gravel drive? Don't know, but I would think the steel traks would cause more damage.

Please, Eddie, enlighten me. Get me past this mental block I'm having. Remember, I'm a small project guy. To me, you are Superman. I'm Jimmy Olson. (You may be too young to know what I'm talking about here) My point is, we are in totally different leagues. But, if you can convince me that I would have enough to do with a dozer, you and Mad may win. And, to my 14 yo son, I would become the coolest dad in the world.

OK, Eddie, I've got to go. If you sober up before you read this, let me know if you were really serious about me getting a dozer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Track Loader For Residential Use - Am I Insane? #28  
Another thing about tracked loaders, at least the Gehl, Tackahechi(sp) and probably most of the others is they caution you about not operating them across a hill because the side load on the track can cause the track to come off. You would probably have to remount it in the field because towing it back to the barn may not be an option.

/ Track Loader For Residential Use - Am I Insane? #29  
bmac,

Sorry for making assumptions about what you need or should have. I jumped to dozer from skid steer based on your desire to clear trails and open up the brush on your land.

A small dozer will run around your land and take out the small stuff real nice and easy, then you can push it into a pile for burning, or decomposing. This is what I thought you wanted the tracked skid steer for. To my knowledge, the skid steer with tracks is very short and top heavy. Not very stable on side hills and I really think useless for brush clearing. It will be a very uncomfortable ride and awkward at best for mowing or basic maintenance. From your other responses, I'm in a minority on this, but that's fine. I'm just offering my suggestions.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'd really recomend you hire out the trail clearing with an operator and dozer to get it over with in a day or two. You want to run a skid steer and I understand that completly. I love running new equipment too.

Your aversion to the dozer is just as strong as mine to a skid steer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wanting to park your tractor in your garage is a fine idea, but I think in time you will realize that a barn of some sorts will work allot better for you. ATV's, tractor, implements and 20 plus years of living at the new house will require more space and storage. It's just a matter of when. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Being able to lift larger loads is everyones desire. The trade off is what you want to spend. A larger CUT will lift what a skid steer can with more stability. I've seen Harvey at my place lifting logs onto a trailer with his forks. Lots of power, but he was on 2 wheels half the time!!! He also rolled his on a project not too long ago too. Skids wont make it less likely to tip or bounce on the back end. They are designed in such a way that they are more prone to do this under load than a CUT.

I'm not a fan of the Toolcat as a primary tractor, but that's just based on reading about them. It's not for me, but for some, it's a great machine. If I was buying again, the Power Trac sounds interesting for utility and options, but again, it's just an impression from reading about them.

The dozer will do what you want better than any of your other options. When your done, it will sell for what you paid for it and in the mean time you and your son will have the time of your life. I wouldn't let Steph drive a skid steer because of how unsafe I feel they are. I'd be suprised if you let your son operate one too. I have let Steph run the dozer and anybody else who wants to give it a try and is willing to follow my rules about safety.

It seems I'm always contradicting your ideas. It's not my goal to critisize, but share my thoughts and opinions so you and others can hear from as many different vies as possible. It's what I look for when I ask a question and I'm trying to find out about something. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

What ever you decide, good luck!!

Eddie

Eddie,

I was jokin' around with ya. I love it when I'm called to task on my goofy ideas. I'll defend them as long as I can, but eventually, the advice I receive slowly sinks in.

You see, I'm somewhat of an imposter on this forum. Most of you guys really know what you are doing and talking about. You put heavy machinery to work every day. Something breaks - no problem. You pull out the welder and fix it. Machine doesn't have what you need. Easy, you make one.

I, on the other hand, work on teeth. I use little pliers to bend little wires that move the teeth around a little bit. I make nice smiles. I do like to dig in the dirt some and pick up heavy things to move from point A to point B. I like driving motorized things that are big and slow. But not all day and not every day. Coulpe of hours here and there is about all I do. Clears my head and lets me get a little project done. And, I wouldn't recognize the first warning sign of a machine being a piece of crap vs a good deal. Maybe this will help clarify my reluctance on getting something like a dozer. It just doesn't fit the size of project I'll likely be taking on.

Now, this doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your comments and advice. I don't view your remarks as criticism. I do recognize that you and I have a very different perspective based upon how we use our equipment. You work. I dabble. But I do try to learn from the feedback I get here. And I'll try to heed the warnings and not make a purchasing mistake.

I'll keep everyone posted as things transpire. Don't expect to see pictures of anything new for a while. I promise, no rash decisions. It may not sound like it, but I do appreciate you.