KX 71 - AWESOME!!

/ KX 71 - AWESOME!! #1  

sflranchok

Bronze Member
How many times have you studied, tested, retested, /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifrecalculated, over and over only to end up with something far less than what you expected /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif? Having just put the first 3 hours on my KX71, I am thrilled to say that this mini-excavator is truely everything it claimed to be! Despite being in day 86 of a nasty draught here in Oklahoma, this equipment cut through rock and parched ground like as if it was a sharp knife slicing fresh italian bread just out of the oven.

Thanks to all in the TBN community for your assistance in helping me with my decision.

I don't understand why the Kubota dealerships in this state don't keep it in their inventory...Once you use it, it's hard to believe you'd ever go to something else. As I get more hours behind me, I look forward to your help in answering the questions as they arise.

Next up, delivery of a M105X. What a great way to start off the new year.

Steve

/ KX 71 - AWESOME!! #2  
Great to hear you like it. I have had my KX91-3 for a couple of years and love it. I am sure in time you will appreciate it even more. Possibly in the near future we will have to have a Kubota Excavator topic heading /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Nice to have another member to talk excavators with as well. Have fun and post some action pic's.....or any pic's.

Brian

/ KX 71 - AWESOME!! #3  
I knew you were going to love it. Have you tried digging to China yet? LOL

/ KX 71 - AWESOME!!
Not quite to China yet, need to get around this 26 inch natural gas transport pipeline first, or I might get, ah, blown to China......

/ KX 71 - AWESOME!!
OK, I said the questions would start once I got some ride time. Here goes. Checked all the vitals before starting and running KX71 Thursday. All looked at proper levels.
Yesterday I went back out to get some more work done. Unfortunately identified a few issues. The hydraulic level was barely showing up in the site glass, whereas it is supposed to be in the sight's midlevel. Also, when key is turned to the run position, there is a constant tick, tick, tick noice coming from the engine compartment.

Ok, I realize I need hydraulic and will get, any idea how much? Another, any idea how it got so low so quick (probably after 5 hours) - is it possible the unit was filled with fluid before the hydraulic thumb was installed and failed to anticipate the additional need? Lastly, the ticking noise - - what is it? It does stop once the engine is started, but that is not a very staisfying answer. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Since the shop doesnt open til Monday, your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Steve

/ KX 71 - AWESOME!! #6  
I can't answer your hydraulic question but the ticking noise is perfectly normal. That's the fuel pump. In my book it says by turning the key on and allowing this ticking to continue for 1 minute you can clear air out of the fuel line if there is any in there.

/ KX 71 - AWESOME!!
Botabill,

Thank you for the ticking noise dilemma. Did you find that in your operator's manual, or was it is a service manual? I've looked through the OM several times and can't seem to find the reference. But thanks for the explanation.

Also, I looked under and around unit several times and no sign of any leaks.

SFL

/ KX 71 - AWESOME!! #8  
When I rented a KX-91 the shop guy told me that the dipper had to be extended and the bucket uncurled in order to check the hydraulic fluid - don't remember whether the boom was supposed to be up or down. Of course being on level ground would probably help too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifSort makes sense, given the amount of fluid that the cylinders would contain.

I'd check the manual to ensure that you don't have a similar requirement.

/ KX 71 - AWESOME!!
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When I rented a KX-91 the shop guy told me that the dipper had to be extended and the bucket uncurled in order to check the hydraulic fluid - don't remember whether the boom was supposed to be up or down. Of course being on level ground would probably help too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifSort makes sense, given the amount of fluid that the cylinders would contain.

I'd check the manual to ensure that you don't have a similar requirement. )</font>

The manual says to be on level ground, blade down and bucket down. Sometimes these manuals go out of their way to not state the obvoius, this might be the case. Regardless, looks like it will be a 7AM call to dealer

Thanks for your ideas, though.

/ KX 71 - AWESOME!! #10  
I just have the owners manual for the KX41. I will say that whoever wrote the KX manual was not as good at information sharing as the writer of the BX manual. To pupt it blunty the KX manual is crappy. I found the BX manual to be easier to understand and contained more usable information. Perhaps Kubota felt that KX buyers are generally more familiar with machinery operating and upkeep by virtue of the fact that the machines usually go into commercial rather than hobby applications. Hopefully more Kubota and other brand excavator owners will chat like tractor owners to help one another.