JCB 160/170

/ JCB 160/170 #1  

ctc1111

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040
hey i was just wondering if anyone had any input on the JCB skid steers, i don't see many for sale around in want ads, ebay and whatnot. But they look like real slick nice machines. And i love how it has a side door instead of climbing through the front because of the single loader arm. I am scepticual on the single loader arm but it dose have a lifetime warrenty to the origional purchaser.

Are the prices for the most part more or less than the bobcat, case,jd, or asv? I was thinking maybe it would be a little less becuase of the single loader arm instead of two and single hydraulic cyclinder instead of two. i would be doing snow removal with the skid steer and am in the market, just considering all brands.

/ JCB 160/170 #2  
I was looking at the JCB's myself, but just couldnt justify the cost. I was looking at the 190's and they are within 1500 of a comparable bobcat. From my research you would be fine with one. The only guys that really dislike them are the dihard brand guys and demo guys that are always trying to break out sometthing with the corner of a bucket.

I just picked up a used Gehl 4635 turbo and am pleased with it. However I really like the JCB design. figure out who are your top three dealers in the area and buy one of thos brands.

/ JCB 160/170 #3  
I've run early units, as well as a later model 160. The newer units are much smoother. Early units would lunge when given little inputs from the pilot controls, which would make hooking up attachments a challenge. Later units were fine.

I personally really like the side door, but I'm a small guy. I don't know how it would be if you were 6'3".

Regarding the single side arm, I have never heard anything negative. Remember, JCB has been producing the single-armed Loadall telehandlers for decades. JCB knows their stuff. I wouldn't think twice about the arm.

/ JCB 160/170
ya i'm 6foot 5

/ JCB 160/170 #5  
I have a 165HF that I've got about thirteen hundred hours work out of.

I love it.

I've had no problems with the motor or drives.

Yesterday I put a six foot Bobcat tooth bucket on it and dug a hole shaped like a swimming pool about six feet deep fifteen feet wide and twenty five feet long. This is in clay.

Keep in mind the six foot bucket is a foot larger than the stock one and I'm a little over the fifteen hundred pound capacity of the machine when full.

I have Case (hand) controls and wouldn't have it any other way.

If you click on the "life is good" you will find lots of pictures of the tractor in use. I've made and modified lots of attachments for it.

I'm wanting to supplement it this year. I want a JCB 1110T but I'll keep my trusty 165 named "Iris".

Attachments

• 814483-april 21, 2005 002.jpg
    814483-april 21, 2005 002.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 237
   / JCB 160/170 #6  
I buy Skid Steers, and at the Auctions that I have seen them, they are NOT keeping any resale value-

/ JCB 160/170 #7  
I'm well aware of that.

I have Case (hand ) controls on mine. Yesterday I jumped on a guy's new Case 40, it's the replacement for the 1840, and I was surprised how much better my JCB dug and handled. It really surprised me because the Case has a longer wheelbase and I figured it'd dig better and be less bouncy.

I was shut down for a couple of days with a blown water hose. But that's been it for thirteen plus hundred hours not counting tires. While it was down I rented a Bobcat 753 with just a couple of hundred hours. Again, it didn't work like the JCB.

But the big selling point for me that will keep me in a JCB is the door. I usually work by myself and I don't like getting in and out of the tractor under or around a load.