Case 580K $18500

/ Case 580K $18500 #1  

BarTX

Tractor
JD5225, JDX340, CubCadet1515, Massey Ferguson MF 175
I'm looking at a 1989 Case 580K,4500hrs. 4x4. Bottom line price is $18500. I have never owned a TLB and I am wondering what I need to be concerned about in a used machine like this one. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks.
Bart

Attachments

• 815107-71731490.jpeg
    815107-71731490.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 828
   / Case 580K $18500 #2  
Looks like fresh paint and hit by vandals as the glass is out. How about all the gauges? fuel tank? vandals are clever sometimes.

Seems like a lot of money for so many hours.

/ Case 580K $18500 #3  
Used to be a cab machine and they stripped it.... Possibly to fire damage?? just speculating... All the lights are missing, typical...
Fresh paint and stripped cab don't give me the warm fuzzies...

Picture aside, Stuff like sloppy bushings in the hoe, leaking hoses, seeping gaskets, are clues to rough use.

Check the cylinder rams for scratches or scoring... leaking seals are not the end of the world but are somewhat a pain to change.

Check around the turbo for oil leaks, Could be the turbo seals going out... read as $$$.

Check the radiator for discolored coolant, milky stuff or oil could be head gasket, Rust means it's not been changed recently, if ever.

Check oil, Really dirty is not good, really clean could be a recent change to hide some of the above. Use Gut here...

Bent cab steps is almost normal use.... Rarely see a rig without at least one bent.

About all that comes to mind at the moment...

$18k is typical market asking price on a K these days. For my money, that's high for hours and condition... Heavy options or not... $14k for average up to about $16k for primo condition with cab.

/ Case 580K $18500
I really appreciate the responses. I think I will probably pass on this particular machine. I'll keep looking around and learning about these machines.

Thanks!

/ Case 580K $18500 #5  
No Turbo on this machine. Only the SK had a turbo.

Price seems high to me also. Repaint is common, as most TLBs are never stored indoors, and become very faded as the age. I bought a 1990 580K with 3400 hours, 4x4, 4-in-1 bucket, extendahoe, full deluxe cab (used to have AC, but had been disconnected), JD backhoe controls, reversible stablizer pads and also repainted for $18,250 several years ago.

With the K series, you have the option of either Series I or Series III ( no Series II). Series I uses separate shuttle trans mounted on back of engine, and Series III uses combo transaxle/shuttle trans. Easy to know which because Series I has floor mounted gear shift and Series III has console Gear shift. Changeover was in 1989, so this could be either model. All models after K use the Series III transaxle.

Generally, on an older machine go for a series I, as it is much cheaper to repair, with external brakes, separate shuttle transmission, etc, while the Series III has wet brakes that require the removal of the axles to replace, and about $8k to rebuild the transaxle. They use different fluids, so know which you have before adding oil.