Case 450 CTL Skid Steer

/ Case 450 CTL Skid Steer #1  

1ColoradoKid

Anyone have any experience with the new Case 450 CTL Skid Steer? How does it compare to a Cat 287 or JD 332 ? I'm in the market to buy one and am curious as to any pros or cons. Thanks

/ Case 450 CTL Skid Steer #2  
What type of work are you doing with you track loader?
Do you need high flow hydraulics?
I would lean towards CAT or ASV Posi-Track.
If you clean the undercarriage you will see track life over 2000+ hours. The internal drive system, developed by ASV, also used by CAT, out performs all the other rigid mounted, rubber coated, steel track, dozer style drive systems. The ASV undercarriage has 4 torsion axles and uses all rubber in the tracks and bogey wheels. The undercarriage is suspended from the machine. ASV has the most track on ground contact which is ultimately what makes a track machine beneficial.
Another factor is when you go to replace your tracks on CASE or DEERE, you have to also replace the drive sprocket(additional $700+ on top of $2000+ per track). You cant run new track on an old drive sprocket.
Also, ASV restarts 2 yr, 1000hr track warranty with each new set of tracks. I dont think any other manufacturer will stand behind their tracks like that. The CAT 287 or ASV RC 100 both have 42 bogey wheels that distribute the weight of the machine across the entire length of the tracks, leading to ultimate floataion and traction, and very low ground pressure/disturbance. Bogey wheels on the ASV undercarriage are like $75. Steel bogey wheels on Deere/Case are about $500.
Demo the Case and Deere units, then demo a CAT or ASV and then make your decision.

/ Case 450 CTL Skid Steer #3  
The Cat/ASV design has been a bit troublesome-I have a 257B in my Rental Fleet, and, with the amount of rocks we have here, have had a lot of problems with the bogey wheels chunking-

I would agree that you should look over all of the offerings out there-the Case, NH and Deere are all using Bridgestone Tracks. Look at the way the wheels "capture" the Tracks. How easy is it to work on the Hydrostat if needed? What about rear visibility? Ture stability? Look them over closely.

Are you aware of the higher operating and purchase costs of the Track Machines? Being in Colorado, are you going to move any snow (Track machines have real problems on ice-)

/ Case 450 CTL Skid Steer #4  
I experienced the same "chunking" of some bogey wheels with my ASV but later realized that those nicks and scratches do not affect the performance of the machine. The bogey wheels can be replaced individually at a cost of $75 a wheel. The steel bogey wheels on Case/Deere/NH/Bobcat/Takeuchi/Mustang cost $500 a piece. You do the math.
Also cosnsider the cost of replacing the drive sprocket with each new track...
The chunking you see is cosmetic wear only....doesnt affect performance.
You can continue to operate with only 1/3 of the rubber on a ASV bogey wheel. Again, no affect on performance.
As you lift a max load with a ASV, the back of the machine begins to come off the ground at the exact same point that the hydraulics go over relief....a perfect ratio!!
Try it. (you cant tip by lifting too much)
ASV, with units 30hp 50hp 60hp 70hp 80hp 85hp and 100hp there is great varity to suit your needs.
I highly recommend testing/renting a CAT or Posi-Track before going any further with a rigid mounted undercarriage.
Strictly from a financial and performance stand point, the choice is clear.
All the best...

/ Case 450 CTL Skid Steer #5  
While I can't speak for the others, I have some familiarity with New Holland, and $rollers are @ $270/each--but with only four per side, replacement is less than for the ASV. Moreover, it is unnessessary to change the drive sproket at every track change, though were it nessessary the cost for the sprocket is @ $200.

Bottom line, try 'em all and see what fits you best in form, function, and finances.

/ Case 450 CTL Skid Steer #6  
The life of your undercarriage will depend heavily on the amount of rocks (or concrete chunks, things of that nature) you will be operating in. ASV/Cat UCs don't hold up well at all in high-impact environments.

/ Case 450 CTL Skid Steer #7  
Coloradokid,
Do yourself a favor. Test all other units, then take a look at the Takeuchi. There is no comparison! Spec. for spec. it can not be touched. The dealers cringe when you tell them you want to demo a machine against the Takeuchi.
The Case, I have several pieces of their constrcuction equipment ,ie. backhoes and skidsteers, and love them, but the CTL is too new, not enough track record, no pun intended.
The Cat has very poor visibility and definite issues when used in stone. The Cat dealer even recomends to stay away from gravel. The controls are very sluggish. Notice where the hydraulic hoses are in the under carriage, problems waiting to happen. I will give it an "A" for the ride. The ride is accomplished at the expense of too many moving parts. I realize operator comfort is needed, but lets face it, its a track machine you are not taking it out for a ride in the country. If I was going to buy an all steel track machine it would undoubtably be a Cat.
The ASV I can not really comment on. The Cat uses there under carriage, that was enough for me.
The Deere, I have many pieces of Deere farm equipment, it is excellent stuff, but they should stick to the farm equipment. There are many, many issues with there CTL.
The Gehl is a Takeuchi painted yellow. There is one important difference. You can not get the excavator style door, the door that slides up over your head, on the Gehl. This is a very,very nice feature.
Bobcat, excellent skid steers but their CTL's lack the specs. and features.
As you can tell I am pro Takeuchi. I am not a dealer or sales person. I am a person who has been there done that many, many times. Iam talking about genuine in the seat experience, not shop talk. I have had several CTL's and I will gladly deliberate the specifications of the Takeuchi with anyone. The only issue, if it should be considered an issue, with the Takeuchi is its weight, but when you look at the construction of the machine you will understand, it is a beast. Although their ground pressure is still right there with the others. The Takeuchi is a true track machine not a retrofited skid steer.

On a side note. It took me a long time to convince myself to buy the Takeuchi because of its nationality. I am 100% buy American and I live in a steel town, need I say more. I have got to say, the machine is so impresive it blew me away. The Takeuchi people have really done their homework. There is no doubt that all the others are playing catch up. If you do not believe me just ask your dealer for their cheat sheet of negatives for the Takeuchi, if they have anything at all.

Ron