Teeth for mini-excavator buckets

/ Teeth for mini-excavator buckets
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Well Hensley is supposed to be top of the line as far as I have heard. I would think that your teeth are the same as mine #23, side pin with a steel both sides with nubs on one side rubber in the middle. If it is the same as mine it is a common John Deere tooth as well. You might want to see your John Deere dealer and see what they have. Now is a prime time to test out different teeth due to how fast they are wearing. I guess 1600' is quite a bit of digging at 4' deep so maybe it is not as bad as I had first thought especially considering the conditions. )</font>

Actually, my 12 inch and 24 inch buckets use Hensley X 156 teeth, with a front pin. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
You are in Canada, right? Maybe that's one of the differences between you and the USA, not sure.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That's quite a project you've taken on. My KX41 has only about 60 hours on it so you've got diggin seniority on me now. Did you ever operate an excavator before. If not you are probably pretty good at it now. Is this a personal family thing or a paying job? Bill )</font>

I have primarily operated family tractors as a weekend or summer hobbiest for 20 or so years, though I did spend one week several years ago renting a Komatsu 270 excavator to get some off the silt out of one of our ponds. I will likely pass 150 hours before this project is completed. Then I'll use the KX71 to thin out about 68 acres for projected home sites and about 1 1/4 miles of road way. This is not a revenue generating job directly, though hopefully will provide some future income as I ease into retirement (by selling lots). To complete the story, we priced our house on the very high end of what we thought it might bring - - and sure enough - - someone showed up willing to pay the price. Now we are in a rental, and very very eager to get started constructing or newhome, since it will be the first house adjoining the development! In other words, watch out for what you pray for, for it can come true.

/ Teeth for mini-excavator buckets #13  
When I was at the dealer a month or so ago they had said they were changing the teeth design. Mine is a old 2004 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and you have the latest and greatest. Some people say the John Deere is the best setup some say Cat is. Don't know if any one is better or not just so long as they don't fall off.
Have you had a chance to use your 12" bucket in any mud yet. I am curious as to whether it packs with mud that won't release. That seems to be a complaint some have of the smaller buckets. I could use one at times but am a little reluctant to purchase due to the above reason.
Not to hijack your thread but what grease and how often do you do it?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When I was at the dealer a month or so ago they had said they were changing the teeth design. Mine is a old 2004 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and you have the latest and greatest. Some people say the John Deere is the best setup some say Cat is. Don't know if any one is better or not just so long as they don't fall off.
Have you had a chance to use your 12" bucket in any mud yet. I am curious as to whether it packs with mud that won't release. That seems to be a complaint some have of the smaller buckets. I could use one at times but am a little reluctant to purchase due to the above reason.
Not to hijack your thread but what grease and how often do you do it? )</font>
I have used the 12 inch bucket exclusively for this project. Just now getting into some mucking dirt. I have had to use a shooter shovel a couple of times to "unplug" it. It really depends on your digging needs, unless you have a need for a narrow ditch (like I do), I'd probably go with the widest bucket practical. One watch out though, the lighter the mini-excavator, the more engine required to utilize the bucket.

As far as greasing, the synthetic Troco from Kubota, though I'm sure it can be purchased elsewher

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When I was at the dealer a month or so ago they had said they were changing the teeth design. Mine is a old 2004 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and you have the latest and greatest. Some people say the John Deere is the best setup some say Cat is. Don't know if any one is better or not just so long as they don't fall off.
Not to hijack your thread but what grease and how often do you do it? )</font>
I have used the 12 inch bucket exclusively for this project. Just now getting into some mucking dirt. I have had to use a shooter shovel a couple of times to "unplug" it. It really depends on your digging needs, unless you have a need for a narrow ditch (like I do), I'd probably go with the widest bucket practical. One watch out though, the lighter the mini-excavator, the more engine required to utilize the bucket.

As far as greasing, the synthetic Troco from Kubota, though I'm sure it can be purchased elsewhere. Frequency: the lesser of every eight hours or every other day. I am from the old school that you CAN NOT over grease the fittings. Regular grease and fluids/filters maintenance will help insure your investment stays an investment, and not a short term writeoff /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Also, I'd rather spend a few more dollars now than a LOT of dollars later.

/ Teeth for mini-excavator buckets #16  
Frequency: the lesser of every eight hours or every other day. I am from the old school that you CAN NOT over grease the fittings. Regular grease and fluids/filters maintenance will help insure your investment stays an investment, and not a short term writeoff . Also, I'd rather spend a few more dollars now than a LOT of dollars later.

I totally agree with what you said.

/ Teeth for mini-excavator buckets #17  
what about hard facing them on and old set you woulden't have mutch to loose.

that's what they do to the buckets sides around here

Hard facing - - that's an idea... but I don't know if after you count the cost of material and time if it would save any money...thanks for the thought!

/ Teeth for mini-excavator buckets #19  
The bucket is not a replacement wear out item. The cutting edge is. The teeth are in the same category as cutting edges.

Egon

/ Teeth for mini-excavator buckets #20  
The Hensley 23 tooth design has been an Industry mainstay for over 25 years ( the X156 has been around as long, but I believe it to have been a Esco design).

There has been discussion here regarding the 23 twin Tiger tooth-I would highly recommend you run twin Tigers on the outer teeth (whcih lessens the bucket "pinch" and give a little more Hydraulic power) with the single Tigers in the middle.

Regarding tooth prices, I am certian (if you live by a large Metro area) that there is a Company that specializes in tooth and cutting edge Sales there, along with Grader Blades and such (any high wear items). If your Kubota Dealer isn't big in Construction Equipment Sales, he is at a big disadvantage and may have to pay a much higher price than, say, the local Case or Deere Dealer (which by the way will carry the 23 Tooth). The 23 has been a standard tooth on the 580 Series Case and 310 Series Deere Backhoes.

Concerning Filters, I would highly recommend you run exclusively Kubota Filters (I am a JD Dealer by the way)-Wix, Fram and others will sell the same Filter (oil) that fits a gas engine for Diesel applications (which are NOT the same). It will only take one Injection Pump rebuild ( /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) to realize that there are differences-