Teeth for mini-excavator buckets

/ Teeth for mini-excavator buckets #1  

sflranchok

Bronze Member
As many of you know, I recently purchased a new KX71-3. Have put on about 65 hours over the past 10 days, with heavy digging through sandstone and iron rock.

Here's my question. Initially I bought some Hensley rock teeth for the bucket from the Kubota dealer. When they ran out of teeth, I sourced the teeth from a company called Kirby -Smith. Amazingly the teeth were from the same manufacturer for 50% or more, less than the dealer. Being new to mini-ex, is this something I should come to expect from Kubota? How about another source for filters, etc?

I don't want to rub the dealer the wrong way, but my money tree stopped producing years ago. JI selected the mini-excavator based on it's performance and reputation. Now I need to make sure the neccessary supplies are sourced in a fair, competitive way also.....your thoughts?

Steve

/ Teeth for mini-excavator buckets #3  
if you found the same teeth for a cheaper price- go for it! I'd be careful with filters though. Your only going save a few $$ going with a filter that may or may not be up to the OEM standards. If it where up to me I'd spend MORE money and get the best filters available to protect my investment.

Part of the reason for the price difference maybe because there is an extra middleman in the process. Those parts probably come from Hensley, then work-brea, then kubota and finaly your dealer.

/ Teeth for mini-excavator buckets #4  
IMO buy the Kubota filters till your warranty is over. The last thing you need is a possible warranty problem due to non Kubota parts. Don't give Kubota a reason not to Honor their warranty. Once the warranty expires then I would look at all filters and make your choice. As far as the teeth go I wouldn't buy Kubota as they are only a reseller as you have found out. Just curious as to how many hours and teeth you have used to date?

/ Teeth for mini-excavator buckets
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( IMO buy the Kubota filters till your warranty is over. The last thing you need is a possible warranty problem due to non Kubota parts. Don't give Kubota a reason not to Honor their warranty. Once the warranty expires then I would look at all filters and make your choice. As far as the teeth go I wouldn't buy Kubota as they are only a reseller as you have found out. Just curious as to how many hours and teeth you have used to date? )</font>

68 hours, 3 flat teeth used and just starting on third set of Hensley 156 WT (tiger teeth). The job has been a bear, but glad I have the right ammo!

I agree wholeheartedly about using Kubota spec'd filters. What caused me to consider alternative sources for filters was the huge gap in the teeth price from the dealer to another supplier. And I am speaking of exactly the same brand of teeth, Hensley. I just didn't know if there was an alternate source for same brand name filters.

You guys are great.

/ Teeth for mini-excavator buckets #6  
So you went through 1 set of flat teeth and 2 sets of tiger teeth in 68 hours /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. I think I would try a different MFG to see if they last longer. I don't know what came on mine but I have about 400 hours and I will replace them in the Spring. A person could probably get another 100 hours use if they really wanted to. Our area has a lot of rock and clay and they last a lot longer than yours /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Anyhow what type of tiger teeth are you using the single or twin point? It would be nice to see some pic's of what you are doing and how far the teeth are worn when you change them. A set of teeth every 20-25 hours "seems" like a lot. How much are the teeth in your area and do you replace the pin at the same time? Just curious.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So you went through 1 set of flat teeth and 2 sets of tiger teeth in 68 hours /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. I think I would try a different MFG to see if they last longer. I don't know what came on mine but I have about 400 hours and I will replace them in the Spring. A person could probably get another 100 hours use if they really wanted to. Our area has a lot of rock and clay and they last a lot longer than yours /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Anyhow what type of tiger teeth are you using the single or twin point? It would be nice to see some pic's of what you are doing and how far the teeth are worn when you change them. A set of teeth every 20-25 hours "seems" like a lot. How much are the teeth in your area and do you replace the pin at the same time? Just curious. )</font>

I have been using the twin point Hensley tiger teeth. Unfortunately I am constantly cutting through 2 - 2 1/2 feet of sandstone. The final depth of the water line ditch is 4 feet. We are about 1,600 feet into the 3,600 feet project. The first set of standard teeth went pretty fast due to operator error - I was not aware of "rock" teeth. I am using the 12 inch bucket. After I get about 3/4 inch worn down on the outside tine of the tiger tooth, I swap the two outside teeth, so as to get equal wear on the tooth. The most challenging rock I have come across is what we refer to as Iron Ore rock = you really do not dig through it, just try to get under it and move it.

Well, time to get back at it. In the meantime, do you have any other ideas for teeth manufacturers, most suggest Hensley is top of line.

Sorry, missed your last two questions. The twin tooth through the parts wholesaler is $17.50 and I do not replace the pins unless I lose one /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Teeth for mini-excavator buckets #9  
Well Hensley is supposed to be top of the line as far as I have heard. I would think that your teeth are the same as mine #23, side pin with a steel both sides with nubs on one side rubber in the middle. If it is the same as mine it is a common John Deere tooth as well. You might want to see your John Deere dealer and see what they have. Now is a prime time to test out different teeth due to how fast they are wearing. I guess 1600' is quite a bit of digging at 4' deep so maybe it is not as bad as I had first thought especially considering the conditions.

/ Teeth for mini-excavator buckets #10  
That's quite a project you've taken on. My KX41 has only about 60 hours on it so you've got diggin seniority on me now. Did you ever operate an excavator before. If not you are probably pretty good at it now. Is this a personal family thing or a paying job? Bill