Clay difficult to remove from 9ins trench bucket

/ Clay difficult to remove from 9ins trench bucket #1  

R_Redding

Tractor
Schaeff HR16
Hi Guys

I'm digging some drainage channels with a 9ins trench bucket and having real problems with clay packing itself in the bucket.
Its a horrid blue estuary clay ......

Are there any tricks I can use to make the clay easier to remove from the bucket..
I've been told to polish the inside of the bucket...to coat the inside with oil... and to have a stainless steel bucket made??...
I had thought about connecting a couple of chains inside the bucket that tighten up when I go to full curl for emptying...
Any better ideas...
TIA Rob.

/ Clay difficult to remove from 9ins trench bucket #2  
Patience and perseverance. Some clays at certain water contents are almost impossible to deal with.

A pullout chain basket with a back may work. At least it should pull the clay out of the bucket and let you shake it off.

Wish you luck. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon

/ Clay difficult to remove from 9ins trench bucket #3  
A garden spade and patience. Actually, a trenching machine would be better and less work overall. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Clay difficult to remove from 9ins trench bucket #4  
Kind of the chain theme. I have seen buckets where two short pieces of chain was attached so that when the bucket is filled the chains were in the bucket. They say that the attached chain will keep the clay/mud from sticking. I have never tried it, but it sounds like it might work. It wouldn't be very expensive to try.

/ Clay difficult to remove from 9ins trench bucket #5  
Here in north Texas we have some of the worst clays in the whole world.

One of the techniques used is to keep a sprayer handy with diesel and apply that often.

Another is to have water available and dip the bucket in the water before each use.

What I've had the best luck with is just accepting that it's going to fill the bucket and I'm going to be digging with just a flat surface. Usually when it's that bad you can still be pretty efficient because you're going to be pulling out clumps anyways.

Another thing you can do is have a hole in the back of the bucket to drain excess water and keep water in your trench as you go.

However you decide to go with it keep in mind the wear you're putting on your pins and bushings trying to shake the clay off. Grease more often and use water for the clay if you can.

Good luck. And remember my saying "if my ship ever comes in there will not be a blackland port." Blackland referring to our infamous black gumbo clay.

/ Clay difficult to remove from 9ins trench bucket #6  
One thing for sure is that with a 9" bucket, the narrowness of the opening really tends to clog woth any soil that's not sandy. I had a 9" a while ago. I got a 12". Really made a difference in our Michigan clay.

/ Clay difficult to remove from 9ins trench bucket #7  
I think your chain idea might have merit. I'm a gonna stew on it.

/ Clay difficult to remove from 9ins trench bucket #8  
Having stew tomorow night for supper. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Clay difficult to remove from 9ins trench bucket #9  
I have a full sized backhoe with a 2 ft bucket and it fills up solid when I'm in wet clay. Like Harvey said, there's not much you can do to stop it and just deal with digging with a bucket full of clay that won't come out.

I still make progress, but it's weight of the clay in the bucket is extreme and I really try to take it easy on how fast I swing the hoe stick.

Spraying and putting a finish might work for a load or two, but it's very temporary and not very effective. Digging out each bucket with a shovel is also very time consuming.

I've never tried the chain method, but have heard that a very heavy chain will help. I've also heard that if the clay is thick and wet, than the chain won't do anything either.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Clay difficult to remove from 9ins trench bucket
I didnt know you could get clay spade buckets here ...
Its been easier spraying water into the bucket after each load,but my assistant still has to dig it free every half dozen bucketfulls.I havent tried chains yet but will do when I get the HR16 into the workshop...
Spraying diesel seems to be a no-no on golf courses for some reason /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif...
Rob