SSLoaders, vibratory roller attachments & potholes

/ SSLoaders, vibratory roller attachments & potholes #1  

jgh

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TN90F; B3000 Kubota; Bobcats 430 & A300; Liebherr 621C, Exmark laser Z, 2 sawmills

Has anyone used these for pothole repairs? I am told via info here and elsewhere that we need to build up and roll our potholes in layers to achieve lasting repairs.

Will a SSL style attachment do it or will it require a real piece of dedicated equipment? Ive heard some negative comments on the wt of the Bobcat and other similar attachments.

Here is a URL for the Bobcat product:

Bobcat on a roll

If I can remember to take some pics, you'll see what we are up against--some make me want to wear a life vest when it rains, both in our driveway and our subdivision road.

Y'alls comments always help, thanks in advance!

Jim

/ SSLoaders, vibratory roller attachments & potholes #2  
jgh,

Filling the pot holes in layers (callled lifts in the industry) is the correct way to fill a hole and obtain maximum compaction. Even more important is that you clean out the hole (remove all of the muck and soft material) before you put in the fill product. The type of roller you use is less important then the correct installation of the fill.
If this is an on going problem consider using geotextiles (road fabric) in the holes. This will put an end to the problem.

Ron

/ SSLoaders, vibratory roller attachments & potholes #3  
Ron,

I've had re-occuring potholes in our gravel driveway this winter with our high rainfall in the PNW. Although I've dug them out with the backhoe and filled with 5/8 minus crushed rock, firmed them down with the extra weighted tractor, they don't stay filled for long. So in light of what you are saying, a layer of geo-textile fabric, layered crush rock (an inch or two at a time?) compacted with a tamper, and repeat until up to grade? Thanks.

Clem

/ SSLoaders, vibratory roller attachments & potholes #4  
Clem,
Just putting the fabric in the hole will not solve the problem. The fabric works by distributing the load accross a large area, it acts as a bridge accross the bad areas.
A simplistic explanation is as follows: If you put a towel accross a muddy area and pushed on it with a board the towel would go down in the mud. Now take that same towel lay it accross the muddy area. Let the towel extend out on to good ground. Where the towel is on good ground stand on the edges of the towel. Try to push it down in the mud.

The fabric needs to extend out on to good ground to be effective.

Ron

/ SSLoaders, vibratory roller attachments & potholes #5  
Thanks Ron, now I'm with ya.

/ SSLoaders, vibratory roller attachments & potholes

Gonna ask about fabric around here, sounds promising, thanks.

What do you think of a wacker tamper for the tamping process? Or would you need it with fabric?

There is one for sale locally, model 1500 for $1550. Honda engine.

Here is one I found on the wb as an example (not same model):

Wacker in Denver

Jim

/ SSLoaders, vibratory roller attachments & potholes #7  
jgh,

That type of compactor is made for compacting a trench ie. like a backhoe trench. It will work, its just not the ideal tool for the job. If you are looking for a portable compactor for doing pot holes look into a vibra-plate type tamper. This tamper has a ~ 18" X 18" plate on the bottom and is made for compacting stone or asphalt. There are diferent models for each type of material, but in your case either will work.

Ron