opinions on backhoe to be towed with 1 ton?

/ opinions on backhoe to be towed with 1 ton? #1  

Mike981

This is my first post on this forum though I have been viewing it for some time just always seemed to find the answers to my questions in previous posts until now. I'm looking for advice suggestions on what size backhoe would be apropriate to tow with a one ton truck yet still have the power to handle rocks and digging in clay. I'm used to the full size machines but was looking for some owners of the smaller machines for their imput as far as power and dig depth. I'm currently looking at either an L48 kubota or a John Deere 110TLB any advice comparisons or other options such as skid steers with backhoew attachments? I just think the backhoe is a little more user friendly for digging and loading a truck since you don't have to switch attachments like you would on a skid steer. I'd like to have a older full size 480 or 210 but I'm still hesitant on whether it could be towed with the one ton or not. any ideas on a suitable machine for footers septic systems and so fourth?

/ opinions on backhoe to be towed with 1 ton? #2  
Here is my older Allis Chalmers 615, vintage 1970. Has 60HP diesel and is a 14' class backhoe. Weighs about 7500 and my 1 ton barely knows it's back there. It needs a 25' trailer to put the buckets down for traveling.

Pix is where it slid into a water line trench I was backfilling took a pix before crabbing it out.

Attachments

• 837607-backhoe stuck bright (480 x 360).jpg
    837607-backhoe stuck bright (480 x 360).jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,950
   / opinions on backhoe to be towed with 1 ton? #3  
i tow a bobcat B300 with a 1 ton. it weighs in around 9000 lbs. has plenty of power for digging rocks, stumps, or anything i have run into so far. anything bigger and i would definitly look for a bigger truck.it's not so much being able to pull it as it is being able to stop it.
good luck

/ opinions on backhoe to be towed with 1 ton? #4  
Opinions, got lots of those and they're free too ! jd110, spent some time on one and I don't like it. Some previous posters TAGS and Bushy (?) seemed to have a like/dislike relationship with theirs. A bobcat with a hoe, no thanks. You waste alot of time switching seats to reposition.

Now, let's talk about trailering. A one ton truck depending on year made, configuration (dump, stake, 6 ft. 8 ft.) and equipment will haul different loads. A gooseneck trailer hauls different than a tag-along (bumper pull).

I've pulled my 310, a Case 580, JCB 520, JD 450 plus others with my one ton truck and trailer.

Quick attach hitches can be wonderful things.

Your question has (to me) too many variables to answer more accurately. Is this a full-time gig or ....? Load Height ?

Also, smaller machines can throw you for a loop having to relearn "how to dig". Sideswing, depth, etc.

If you want to add some specifics, I'd be happy to offer more opinions to help you out.

/ opinions on backhoe to be towed with 1 ton? #5  
For what its worth I've towed various Case 580's behind a Ford F-350 1-ton, 4 sp stick, 2wd, 12' stake bed (no dump) using a flatbed beaver tail trailer with a pintle hitch and elect brakes. Worked fine, but I never went up serious hills either. Also for what its worth I agree with the other poster get a full sized machine and also get one with familiar controls, real pain to learn all over again what you already know! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ opinions on backhoe to be towed with 1 ton?
Tlbuser my truck is a chevy 97 with a 6 speed manual tranny and it is a 454 4x4, yes it is a dump flat bed 10ft so I'm sort of avoiding gooseneck trailers due to the fact it's a dump. It does have the trailor break and reese hitch installed I use a pintle tri axel tag along with it to move my tractors around during hay season and I don't even know they're back there unless I hit a steep hill but never had any trouble with them the biggest is a 5420 Deere.

I plan on just doing it on the weekends maybe a few days a week but not planning on it full time maybe in the future but not for a year or so ahead depending on how it goes.

The beds a flat bed so the load height is around 5 foot maybe 6 to get over the wooden sides that's on it now.

I've not had any experience at all on the smaller backhoes, I learnt on a 410 Deere and have run Cases and Komatsu since but nothing smaller then the 310 Deere and I'm spoilt on the 4x4 machines so what ever I end up getting I'd prefer it to be 4x4.

Thanks for the responses

/ opinions on backhoe to be towed with 1 ton? #7  
Personally, I wouldn't have any qualms about towing a Case 580, JD 310, similar sized machine with your setup as long as the trailer is rated high enough. I'm running a D-Max/allison combo in my truck and yea, you might have to get in the slow lane on some of the uphill runs. (PA hills 6.5% descent, curvy road, another story)

Lots of decent used stuff out there. I prefer 4WD, 4n1 bucket and an e-hoe. The Earth Force / IR / Bobcat machines might be another serious option.
Brand new, I would entertain the new Yanmar CBL40. Similar to the JD110 but a significant feature (to me) has a swivel seat. The 110 has a flop-over seat that you have to crawl around/over to switch positions.

Either way, IMO, less than a 10 ft. digging depth is a waste of time. Locally, some of the sewer taps have been right at the 14 ft. mark. Imagine digging that out with a 7.5 ft. unit?

/ opinions on backhoe to be towed with 1 ton?
Well I went out yesterday and tried out the 110 Deere and the L48 Kubota and you're right I did find the Deeres flop over seat a bit combersome for me (being 6'3 250) to change from the loader to the backhoe though the one thing I like about it was the creeper feature on the back so you can move the tractor foward or back from the hoe position without having to use the boom or switch back foward. The kubota I had the same problem on both you either had to crawl over the seat or get off and get back on at the back the kubotas seat did swivel though but you still have to stand up to do it. I also looked at the bobcat/IR hoes and I liked those the best out of the small ones the seats did swivel and you could switch from the front to back without getting up all three did surprise me as far as power I didn't expect them to have as much at the hoe as they did the controls were easy to figure out and easy to use. I looked up the Yanmar on there site but there isn't a dealer close to me so I couldn't look at those.

But I still haven't made up my mind I'm going to look at an older 480 one day this week that's 4x4 and the 14ft boom vs the 12 that some of them have if it's in decent shape I'll prolly end up going that route.

But for those interested I thought I'd share the quotes I got for the 110 and L48, the local Jhon Deere dealer quoted me a 110 with just the aux. hydraulics to the front it was a demo unit and had a little over 10 hours on it but you still got the full warranty for 36500 and a brand new one with the aux to the front and back at 38000. The kubota was a little higher at 39000 with the aux to the back and quick attach buckets on the front and rear. I didn't get a quote on the bobcats since the salesman said he'd have to do some figuring since they didn't have a 4x4 on their lot.

/ opinions on backhoe to be towed with 1 ton? #9  
When I bought my 555E, the dealer delivered it with a one ton dodge duelly. I expected something bigger, but when I asked about it, he said they use the pickup and trailer for just about anything under 20,000 pounds.

The duel rear tires make a HUGE difference on stability!!!

And I'll also agree with the other posters. Don't go small on a TLB. Especially if it's your primary source of business or main piece of equimpent. The full sized ones need to be larger in my opinion any way!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For prices, my neighbor just bought a brand new New Holland 75B. 4x4, cab, 4 in 1 bucket with extended warentee for $50,000. It's just an amazing machine. He's our running it in the rain and doing twice as much as I can with mine. Days when I'm waiting for it to dry out, he's working.

And yes, New Holland delivered it with a one ton Ford pickup.

Eddie

/ opinions on backhoe to be towed with 1 ton? #10  
mike,
if the bobcat you sat in was only 2 wheel drive it was a B100. the others are all 4 wheel drive. i think their price for a B300 will be competitive with the 110 and L48. maybe you could get a few demo days to help with the decision. for me i liked the B300 head and shoulders above the other compacts. the 110 and L48 do weigh a couple thousand pounds less though. this is an advantage for towing but i like the extra weight when working.
good luck,