ok need more input found Taheuchi tbo-35 excavato

/ ok need more input found Taheuchi tbo-35 excavato #1  

mlinnane

Bronze Member
Tractor
mf 165
I know I just posted about the Kato, but our local paper came out with this and I want to see what people thoughts are
I know this machine is not as big as the other but for doing the hedge rows diggin ponds this machine might be more usefully then the other as it is smaller and easier to get in smaller spots. but yet will do some of the pond digging I need
done. he told me the machine is a 1999.

Taheuchi, turnkey, thumb valve blade, Tu-Bo TBO-35, 7800lbs, 9' reach, 1yr paint, 2000 hrs, super cond, $14500

Attachments

• 859126-exca.jpg
    859126-exca.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 439
   / ok need more input found Taheuchi tbo-35 excavato
I am going to look at it tonight as it in the next town I am also
going to look at his other toys to see what kind of condition they are in? So please write comments ASAP

/ ok need more input found Taheuchi tbo-35 excavato #3  
Now you're talking! The Takeuchi is a very good machine, good parts availability-if you are o.k. iwth about a 12' dig depth-if it's been taken care of, that price is in the Ballpark-by the way, the "35" size (around 7-7500#) is the number one selling size for Compact Excavators nationwide, so you would be able to sell it down the road-

/ ok need more input found Taheuchi tbo-35 excavato #4  
HOLD ON!!

I think you're wanting an excavator more than you should be and might not be thinking this through. The smaller you buy, the more specialized it's use is. This means it's only good for little jobs, and anything else is going to be more than it can handle effectively.

Using a small trackhoe on your land isn't going to accomplish much, and after a short amount of time, you'll realize you made a mistake. If you want a trackhoe for digging a pond, than you need a dump truck to move the dirt and a dozer to spread it. Getting just the tool to dig with just creates more work down the line. Using it to clear fence lines is fine, but moving the debri to a burn pile isn't very practical with it either.

What else do you want to use it for?

I dug my 3/4 acre pond with my backhoe. It took two months of daily work. The hard part is moving the dirt, not the digging!!!

You really need to re-evaluate your needs and get something that is really useful for all your projects as aposed to something that is specialized for only one project. An excavator is a great addition to a fleet of existing equimement, but a lousy machine if that's all you have.

I mentioned in your other thread, but will repeat it. Look at loader/backhoes. Any brand that you can get parts for locally is good. Each brand has their pros and cons, but it won't do you any good if you need a part and the dealer is 500 miles away or the machine is discontinued.

The taheuchi digs 9 feet deep. That's nothing. My backhoe digs 14 feet with a 12 flat bottom and that's not enough. You will always want MORE reach, weather digging or clearing brush. It's not that you need a trench that deep, but how often you have to move to keep a trench going, or how far out you can clear an area?

Nine feet is nothing considering you could get a backhoe that does so much more and runs on wheels, not tracks. Wheels are your friend, tracks are not!!!

Good Luck,
Eddie

I really do not want a back hoe as the tires leave ruts and my soil is very wet. I am trying to fix ruts made by a guy I hired with a backhoe and by the time the ground dries out around my house I might as well be august before I can get where I need to go with a back hoe. I already have a front end loader on my tractor. The trouble is I want to dig ponds more really like channels. I also need to run electric out to my barn. I need dig footings, I can make a case for a small machine and a big one. Maybe the best thing is do what I need to with the small one and then sell it and take the money to do something with a bigger machine one I am done with the stuff around the house. But the idea of a new machine until I get fimilar with things appeals to me. I am making a deal with my neighbor he has a refuage business and has roll offs he would like the fill. As I will doing this part time and so he we I understand we wil not set the world on fire. I have a guy down the road that does all the bull dozer work for me for about $25 to $30 an hour so I can not see getting a dozer.

/ ok need more input found Taheuchi tbo-35 excavato #6  
I wont argue with you about what you need, but I will point out to you that if a backhoe caused you ruts on your wet soil, that a tracked macine is gonna tear things even more.

And even worse, is when you get a tracked machine stuck. If you try running it across muddy soil, you might make it just fine, but if you don't, you'll regret that day for years to come!!!

Getting a tracked machine unstuck isn't like anything on wheels. The tracks dig down until the bellys makes contact, then a suction is created and you have a nightmare.

If all you need to do is dig a few trenches, why not rent something? It doesn't sound like you really need to buy something for this, but that it's more of a toy you really want to have.

Eddie

REnting to me is not an option and I have more then just a few trenches to dig.
I went to look at machine tonight and it was in mint condition. The under carriaged looked brand new The machine has been well cared for. He is asking 14,500 I was think of going with $12,000 cash in my pocket and see if he bits. IT is hard to turn down $12,000 looking you in the face.
What do you guys think?

/ ok need more input found Taheuchi tbo-35 excavato #8  
I've just reread both of your threads and I still can't figure out both what your trying to do vs the machines you are shopping...

The 14ton kato has no dealer support that I'm aware of and unknown powertrain or undercarriage. This makes it in my mind worth $1 a ton or whatever scrap rate is now.

The 3ton Takeuchi has dealer support and a reliable engine but is gonna be mighty small for any bulk jobs on 100+ acres.

Trenching for utilities could be done by either machine, obviously the bigger machine has more capacity and the little machine fits everywhere.

Ponds much bigger than a swiming pool are gonna take a lot of time with the 14 ton machine and years with the 3 ton machine.

Land clearing is a very vague term. The 14 ton machine is the bare minimum for production clearing and the 3 ton rig will take hours per each tree over 8-10inches.

What Eddie said about getting stuck is right on. It's a matter of when one is gonna stuck a machine especially working around water or wet ground.

In my not usually humble opinion, You should decide exactly how much machine you need and shop for it rather than just randomly pricing whats available in your immediate area.

That's what I think. That and $1.50 might get a cup of coffee at the gettin' place.