1981 Case 580D advice?

/ 1981 Case 580D advice? #1  

ish1975

I'm looking at buying this backhoe. This is a first for me buying a tractor like this. Any advice would be great!

Case 580D, S/N 9062192, Cab, reads 3606 hours, 24" rear bucket, new rear 19.5 x 24 tires, new front tires, 4x2, 55hp, nice machine! $12,900

From what the salesman told me, the motor and transmission run and work good, little to no hydraulic leaks, a little looseness in the backhoe...

What are your thoughts? Decent price for the machine?

72678764.jpg
72678768.jpg

/ 1981 Case 580D advice? #2  
Case is one of the better names, no doubt. low hours for its' age, almost too low. I used to have a Ford 555 4x4. The full size backhoes are awesome diggers. That's a capable machine as long as the mud isn't too bad and would be nice for snow as well. What you might want to do is pick up a copy of the "big truck & equipment trader" magazine (if you have that in your area) and see what comparable machines are selling for. You could also check internet dealers.

Throw a lower number at him and see how he reacts, all he can do is say "no". Then go from there. Good Luck!

/ 1981 Case 580D advice? #3  
I just bought a 580C that is about two years older than that hoe for 9500.00 in MI. Only difference is mine has an extendahoe. In Michigan that price is slightly high, but not unreasonable. I agree those hours are very low, mine has 6000 but runs great. Hours are not bad as long as they are not excessive (8000 plus)

If the dealer says it has no leaks he is a liar, the machine is 25 years old. Some sweating on the cylinders is no big deal, but if you see fluid pooling or running the seals are bad. Mine had a few leaks on the backhoe but I was able to do the work myself, but if I had a dealer do it it would have been $500-1000

Also be sure to check bushings everywhere, take a good 1/2 hour and inspect the machine.

I am just getting used to my machine, "beast" does not even begin to describe it, lol

/ 1981 Case 580D advice? #4  
Hey thats a nice looking tractor. If what you say is true the price is also good. I paid $16500 for an '86 JD, 3000 hrs and similiar, standard hoe 2 wd. From the pics it looks like the loader bucket is straight, believe it or not thats a good indication that the machine has not been abused. You'll find it most capable, and don't worry about 2 WD or the fact that its a standard hoe, it will do a lot. New rubber to boot, like I say, if its as good as you say I'd buy it. Would be nice to have someone familiar with Case tractors to run it though.

/ 1981 Case 580D advice? #5  
ish1975, offer 10-15% less and you've got yourself a good tractor at a good price. The dealer has that built in the asking price anyway. My 580E is an 84, it sat & sat when it was for sale. Asking price was 12k, wrong price for our area. Too much money for ranchers, business's figure it's warn out. (too cheep) Anyway I got mine for 9k, no oil leaks, all bushings are tight. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif this tractor was very well maintained, did have to put all new tires on in the 1st year though /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The tractor that your looking at looks good, I think that you can get it for less than the asking price though.
Good luck.

Brian

/ 1981 Case 580D advice? #6  
<font color="blue"> $12,900 little to no hydraulic leaks, a little looseness in the backhoe...
</font>

Price is in the ballpark, little leaks and a little looseness bother me (IMO)
A leaking cylinder can be costly depending on who's doing it. A loose hoe usually means it's time for pins and bushings. Again, depending on which ones, how many and who's doing it, the price can climb quickly.

Check the mounts for the swing cylinders. I have seen one (580E) broken that appeared to be just sloppy.

Shuttle shift? See if it falls from forward to neutral or neutral to reverse while running. There is a hydraulic shuttle shift valve body/linkage mechanism under the floor boards that isn't the easiest thing to replace.

Other than the usual hydraulic, oil, brakes, lights, parking brake, reverse beeper and lifting points if you're happy with what you see and are comfortable working with and on the equipment.......Either try to lowball the price or get them to fix the stuff that's not quite right.

/ 1981 Case 580D advice? #7  
That seems like a good price for the case. I bought a used 580C with double the hours about 18 years ago for just a little less $. That machine has (2) big advantages over the triple nickle ford, a four cyl engine and an over center boom that lays up tight to the cab. The hours do seem low for that age. It may have been one of many owned by a power company and since it lacks a 4:1 bucket and extenda-hoe, it may have got less use than the machines with these options. In an old machine I would prefer not to have these options because simpler is more trouble free over time. I would look into the machines history for maintenance records and try to determine if hours is accurate.

/ 1981 Case 580D advice?
Thanks for your input everybody. I had talked the salesman into an "out the door and delivered" purchase price of $12,500 (after tax and delivered to my door 300 miles). I was on my way to go see it when the salesman called me back and said that his partner had sold it that morning... tough luck for me! Story of my life... master of timing.

I've turned my attention to a nice 580C... Is there much noticable difference in the C model vs D model? I've heard that the 580D has better hydraulics, extra cab features, and a few other upgrades.... How much better hydraulics and other features are there? Is it worth holding out for a D model or newer?

Thanks

/ 1981 Case 580D advice? #9  
The 580D has a Cummins engine instead of a Case. All 580's after the C had a Cummins. Since there are a ton of Case diesels still running well I dont really consider this a big upgrade.

I dont know about hydraulics, they probably cycle a little faster, but for a newbie non-commercial operator this isnt really a benefit either, since you will be operating at a slow pace anyways since you are not trying to make money.

The main reason you want to be newer than a 580B is because the C is the first model to mount the loader right to the frame and it is much less prone to cracks and breakage.

I would look for a 580C or newer, with the condition of the whole unit being more important than the year or model.

/ 1981 Case 580D advice? #10  
Too bad you lost that one, it sure did seem like a nice tractor. In my latter life I've decided to pay a little more when something looks good and just get it rather than try to cut the best deal, esspecially on hard to find items. Another thing you may want to consider is not to limit yourself to just one brand. I've been a Case man for a long time but to my great surprise /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif John Deere and Cat also make very fine machines. There ain't nothing wrong with a good used JD 310. Again, condition is everything. Good luck!