Case 580C steering cylinder help

/ Case 580C steering cylinder help #1  

rexcramer

Silver Member
Tractor
Case 580C
I have a steering cylinder that had a chance encounter with a stump and needs replacement. I am curious as to the best way to remove the rod end joints.

I have pulled the pin but when I try to remove the nut the whole bolt/elbow assembly turns and I see no way to get a wrench on the elbow to prevent it from turning. Any suggestions?

Also I need a method for setting the toe while in the woods.
Thanks

/ Case 580C steering cylinder help
No one has removed any tie rod knuckles in the last 25 years?

/ Case 580C steering cylinder help #3  
I'll take a stab at it. From your description, I think this tie rod tool is what you need. You would place it between the tractor "frame" and the ball using a hammer to drive the fork between the two.

Field fabricating a tool for toe, you can use a length (tractor width) of pipe attach a 90 deg. ell to one end with a 2 footish length (tire size) on the other side of the ell. the other end, use a tee fitting ( might have to overdrill) so it can slide on the pipe, on the other side of the tee attach a short length of pipe and add a "pointer". Slip across the tires at the mid to 3/4 point on the front side "measure" the distance and then "measure" the back side.
For a tractor, I'm assuming the closer to a difference of zero, the better.

Toe
Picture yourself hanging from an engine hoist directly over the front axle of your vehicle. Now imagine you've got X-ray vision and, for now at least, you're going to look through your car's hood and fenders to see the front wheels (there will be time to look through people's clothes later). At this point, you would be seeing the measurement of toe in your front-end. Toe is the angle of two wheels on the same axle, in relation to each other. For instance, if your front tires both pointed directly straight ahead and were parallel to each other, you would have zero toe. If the front of the tires were closer together than the rear, this would be toe-in, and if the rear were closer than the front, toe-out. Toe plays a major role in how a car feels going through a corner with toe-in creating more understeer and toe-out increasing oversteer. This is also where gas mileage can be improved since a vehicle with too much toe will be creating excessive friction and using up fuel (and tires) faster than it should. Toe settings vary from car to car and are determined by many factors including drivetrain layout and vehicle design.

/ Case 580C steering cylinder help #4  
ALTERNATE METHOD FOR ALIGNING FRONT END: Tape Measure & Tire Procedure-

If you are not able to perform the above visual procedures, with the front end up on jack stands, make a mark on a lug of the center of the rearward side of the tread on the passenger and driver tires. Measure across from lug to lug at those marks at the rear of the front axle. Then rotate the marks on the tires to the front and measure again at the front of the axle. Rotating the tire and measuring at that same mark will completely eliminate any variances in rim and tire run out, even on the most bent of rims or wobbliest of tires. Adjust accordingly until the proper toe in number is achieved as indicated in the conversion chart located at the bottom of this page. (note: if you are working on an I.F.S. front end, then you need to roll the truck straight forward about 20 feet, then begin this procedure on the ground, not jacked up. After measuring the rear center to center measurement, roll the truck on the ground straight forward and measure the same marks in front of the axle)

DETERMINING PROPER TOE IN USING THE TIRE TREAD MEASURING METHOD

While this is not the most accurate or reliable method of setting toe in and making final front end alignment adjustments, it is effective for temporary situations or where emergency situations may demand it. Perform the above procedure, but when setting the toe in, remember that 1/16" ACTUAL toe in at the edge of a 15" rim (where most measurements are compared) will appear to be double out at the edge of a 30" tire. The larger the tire, the greater the difference.

/ Case 580C steering cylinder help
Thanks for the reply, I managed to get it fixed in the field with the old tie rod ends, but once I get it out of there I will put the new ends on it and dial it in better.