Case 580E hoe bushing replacement

/ Case 580E hoe bushing replacement #1  

EdK

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Case 580E Super
I bought a Case 580E about 1 year ago. After living with it I am pleased with the engine, trans and loader. My only gripe is the main bushing for the boom in the swing tower - it does have some slop. The swing cylinder bushings themselves are a just a little bit sloppy but might as well redo them if I get into this I suppose. Any advice, do's or don'ts on this repair? The rest of the hoe seems quite tight. I don't know as I want to go and refurbish the entire hoe at this time but will defer to forum experience. By the way, no cylinder leaks or damage whatsoever. Probably should tend to a couple of the hoses while I'm at it though.

Thank in advance for any and all input, Ed

/ Case 580E hoe bushing replacement #2  
How are you planning to separate the stick? Crane it off or dig a pit? Even though that hoe is removable, it seems alot easier to leave it on for these repairs. I wouldn't hesistate to redo the swing cylinders and I would thoroughly check all of the bucket linkage pins and bushings (high wear area) also. A little slop is liveable but once the holes start wearing, the repair bill gets bigger.

/ Case 580E hoe bushing replacement
I understand how the swing cylinders can be re-bushed with the boom in place - but not the boom itself. You mentioned it being a lot easier to do while leaving "it" on. Are you referring to the boom itself? I'm not sure I understand how that would be done. Is it possible to remove the upper & lower main pins, swing out the boom with the rams attached and gain sufficient clearance to access the bushings? Clearly one would have to be extremely careful not to let the boom get an advantage on the swing ram rod ends...

As far as a plan to separate the hoe from the machine I never really gave it a lot of consideration. Removing the bucket and dipper first would seem logical leaving only the weight of the boom itself for last. I could get access to a shop with a beam-mounted chain fall or alternately do the job in the great outdoors using additional heavy equipment for the lifting.

This is all new to me. Thanks for your comments.

/ Case 580E hoe bushing replacement #4  
My fault. I read what you wrote and assumed I knew what you meant. Now, it appears that we are looking at two different points. In my attached photo, I thought you were talking about the green area, but I now realize you are in the yellow circle. You could stretch the boom/dipper out and use some jackstands/blocks to support it, disconnect the hoses, cylinders, etc. then separate. The red circle area I would pull apart while I was doing this much and inspect the pins and bushings a little closer.

You mentioned it being a lot easier to do while leaving "it" on.
I was referring to the whole backhoe. The one we had, you could pull a couple pins and separate the backhoe unit from the tractor.

Attachments

• 872010-580e.jpg
    872010-580e.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,649
   / Case 580E hoe bushing replacement
Hey, someone stole my backhoe!!!

Yours has about the same amount of rust/missing paint as mine - all along with the typical bent step!

The area you have circled in red needs some attention on my hoe however being the easiest to dissassemble and with the relatively low cost of bushings and pins I most certainly planned on going through carefully inspecting and/or replacing every joint in this region.

The region in green seems really good as is. I understand this is typically the lowest wear area. I will likely leave it alone

The area circled in yellow is indeed what I was talking about. Refurbishing the swing ram rod ands and their respective bushings in the swing tower looks not to be too big a job - it's the two main pins connecting the swing tower to the swing frame that are intimidating.

/ Case 580E hoe bushing replacement #6  
If you have some mechanical ability, you'll be fine.
Don't forget the swing cylinders have two ends with pins and bushings. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif My buddy called me over last night to look at his machine, one of the swing cylinders was pouring fluid. When I removed it, I went oh yea, there are busings here too. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Case 580E hoe bushing replacement #7  
EdK, when changing the swingtower bushings, try this.

First, extend the boom & dipper out all the way, lower to the ground with the bottom of the bucket flat on the ground. Hopefully a 2' bucket or wider.

Second, drop your swing rams from the tower.

Third, remove pins from tower.

Forth, put a good jack with blocking under the tower and raise the tower until it is free of the tractor mount. There should be some up & down clearance.

Fifth, slowly pull the tractor out from the swing tower, just far enough to have access to all 4 bushings. All hydraulic hoses should allow this without being disconnected.

Sixth, change bushings and re-install boom.

I hope that this helps and hopefully I haven't forgotten anything, it's been a few years since I've done it.
And of course, always be very careful.
Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brian