Backhoe attachment

/ Backhoe attachment #1  

joebleaux

Well, I would bet that this is the most stupid question ever BUT can a backhoe be attached to almost anything?

I THINK that I have figured that most of these machines are just a hydraulic pump with wheels. I may be wrong here but it seems that is the basic premise.

Now, even more stupid, I would like to have a backhoe on my wheel loader which has a 4 cylinder gasoline engine. This an old beast that should have been shot long ago and buried. I am in the process of rebuilding the engine.

If I were made of money, I would just satiate my wants- no, NEEDS- by buying one.

Joe

/ Backhoe attachment #2  
Why not? I stuck a Case 32 hoe in my skip loader frame rails. You'll find you can get big hoes a bit cheaper than 3pt ones also.
I've seen them on flatbed trucks, pu trucks and on nothing at all but 2 wheels. I wouldn't think a wheel loader is out of the question. You just have to be imagininative how to attach it. Does loader have a detachable counterweight on rear?

/ Backhoe attachment
Thanks for the reply, MMM.

Yes, the wheel loader has a detachable counterweight in the rear. Currently, it is removed so that I could pull the engine.

I am guessing that you are suggesting that I remove it and weld up a mount for the backhoe. Good idea.

What would I expect to pay for a used, perhaps even a broken backhoe attachment?

I would not know how to figure the capacity of this pump as there are no books on the loader. Nor, would I know how to determine if the backhoe would work with this pump.

Joe

/ Backhoe attachment #4  
Most of the full size hoes will take in excess of 20gpm or be slow. You could get an idea by the size of cyls on your loader, which on most of the Mich I've seen are large. I have a 23gpm@1800 crank drive on mine for 4" bore cyls.
You should be able to fab a mount to fit CW brackets for hoe and swap when you don't want to worry about tight spots.

/ Backhoe attachment
Okm MMM,

I will measure the cylinder diameters tomorrow.

Have any w.a.g. what I could pick up a used hoe for?

Joe

/ Backhoe attachment #6  
I picked my Case32 up for $1250 at auction. Saw a Ford a while back go for $800 at another auction. It was nicer than mine with all new hoses and paint. I can PM you if I preview a decent one next time I go auctioning. (I'm guessing your from South LA?)

/ Backhoe attachment
Thanks for the input, MMM.

Are you talking about complete machines or just the hoe attachment?

No, I am near Temple, Texas.

Joe

/ Backhoe attachment
The cylinder pistons on this measure 3 inches in diameter.

Joe

/ Backhoe attachment #9  
Just the attachments .As for complete units, even junk that won't run will fetch couple thousand just fot parts value. I'd say with 3" cyls you may have adequate flow . You weren't going into buisness with it anyhow I hope

/ Backhoe attachment
Gotcha. Glad there will be adequate flow then.

Now, I have to rebuild this engine and locate a hoe.

Send crawdads.............emergency.