How much does my dumb truck weigh

/ How much does my dumb truck weigh #1  

craigermags

As noted in previous emails I am attempting to relocate this truck from Washington State to Idaho. It does not run and inorder to get it there it will need to be hauled. The title does not show the weight of the vehicle so if someone could make a good educated guest it will help me with answer that question for the outfit that hauls it. '

In addition if anyone know of a machinery transport firm with a low boy that works in the Washington Idaho area that has a reasonable rate I would appreciate knowing that as well. I am not sure how to send a picture along with this listing. It is a p 1976 International Loadstar 1700. I linked up a picture that looks like my truck

Buscajoia@comcast.net
Link to Picture

MikePA: Corrected link to picture and changed it from an inline image.

Attachments

• 879193-truck.jpg
    879193-truck.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,199
   / How much does my dumb truck weigh #2  
Educated guess - 16,000, (+/- 1 ton). My fil has a 1700 loadstar dump that's rated at 28K gvw, (loaded). I'm 90% certain the empty weight is in the 7 - 9 ton range.

/ How much does my dumb truck weigh #3  
Stupid question... but why not get it running first? Selling it to someone?

/ How much does my dumb truck weigh #4  
Just a bit of advice from someone (me) in the truck freight business . That truck WILL be weighed somewhere along the way . The truck carrying it will have an empty weight and then get a loaded weight . The difference will be the weight you are billed for . An interesting mathamatical thing happens . If you say it's 15,000 pounds and it's really 14,000 they will forgive you the error and charge you what you said it was . If you say 14,000 and it's really 15,000 they will charge you 15,000 . Funny how that happens . You need to find another one anywhere and look at the plate inside the door . It should give unladen weight . Those are very popular with towns , cities and counties . They're everywhere if you just look .

/ How much does my dumb truck weigh #5  
You don't say what engine and trans combo it has but assuming a 345 V8 and a 4 speed and 2 speed rear it is in the 8500-9000 pound range. The same truck in a F-600 was 8600 pounds empty. I weighed it weekly at the local quarry. HTH, Nat

/ How much does my dumb truck weigh #6  
I used to own an IH exactly like that. If it's a gas motor it weighs ~9,500 lbs empty.

Mine was a '79 1700 345 V-8 all wheel drive and it was ~10,000 lbs. I figure the transfer case and front axle add ~500 more lbs to my truck compared to a 4x2.

It has to weigh more than my F-450 4x4 which weighs 8,800lbs with a 9' aluminum bed and a diesel engine. A 450 is a lighter-built truck.

My IH 4800 4x4 weighs 16,000lbs empty! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Look at my pictures to give you a frame of reference.

/ How much does my dumb truck weigh #7  
My Dodge 3500 SRW weigh 8000 lbs, 400 more than the C 60 chevy I just sold, which weighed in at 7600 lbs. It was a 9' box dump with a 292 inline 6, and a 4 sp and no 2 sp axle. I bet the front axle on a 4 x 4 and the transfer case weigh 1000 more that a 2wheel drive. Not starting anything, just been around a lot of these old dumps, Later, Nat

/ How much does my dumb truck weigh #8  
IH trucks have heavy frames & axles, typically overbuilt for their duty rating. Most chevy M/D dump frames are stamped channel and on the lighter side. Those old chevy gas M/D dumps were much lighter than IH M/D dumps. Even IH gas motors were way heavier built than Ford or GM truck motors.

Like I said, take a look at the 4800 4x4 single axle dump in my pictures. It weighs 16,000lbs empty. Pretty heavy built for a single axle.

Even if you took my IH and removed the 4x4 system, shortened the frame & bed 2-3', and replaced the DT466 diesel with a gas motor, I bet it would still weigh 9-10,000 lbs.

The loadstar dump won't weigh half of what my 4800 weighs.