Skid Steer Forks

/ Skid Steer Forks #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
Are all skid steer forks created equal?

I have a $650 quote for 42" Bobcat forks, $680 for John Deere forks, and $780 for CAT forks.

Are CAT forks worth the extra money?

Is there a brand that is truly better?

Is there a brand I should stay away from?

Thanks in Advance.

Yooper Dave

/ Skid Steer Forks #2  
I recently purchased the 42" Bobcat forks, but I paid more. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I am only using them with a CUT tractor, so I won't be approaching the rated load capacity. I did look at the build quality and they are of similar quality (a bit smaller) than some of the Hyster 50 (5000 lb) forklifts I used to use.

Hope that helps,

Derek

/ Skid Steer Forks #3  
They all have their ratings for what they'll lift. The ones on the Bobcat QA setup I bought are nowhere near the size of the forks on my 8000 forklift, but you won't lift 8000 with a skidsteer or Toolcat either. I use them on the front of a L5030HSTC and they work just fine with no flex noted when picking up 2000 pounds with one fork. I wouldn't pay the extra unless you have one monster skidsteer with a 90 hp engine that will lift 8000 pounds or something like that.

P.S. I paid $650 plus tax for my Bobcat forks with the QA backrest.

/ Skid Steer Forks #4  
For $450 you can get 3700# capacity 42 or 48" forks from Piranha Attachments.
Larry

/ Skid Steer Forks #5  

There probably is not much difference n the forks themselves, but hear me, hear me, the voice of experience on this one (if nothing else).

When I bought my Quicke loader for my tractor, I bought a conventional front forks attachment. Frustrating it was! Seems like every time you set the width and get back on the tractor, it's WRONG /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif!!

Solution: when I bought my Bobcat A300, I traded those suckers in, for a hydraulically adjustable forklift fork set. voila! What a wunderful thing! Now I hook 'em up, go to the load and fudge things with the aux controller circuit, and I am under that load and traveling. Sliced bread has never been as good!

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bobcat Forks picture 5 could be my machine, complete with Galaxy turfs and AWS

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Jim

Oh, yeah, the downside: dam things are not cheap!

/ Skid Steer Forks #6  
I'm a John Deere Skid Steer Dealer. I have sold Froks made by different Companies. As it has been told to me, there are only 3 actual Manufacturers of the Forks themselves. However, they make them in different sizes, and with different Lift capacities.

This last year I changed over to Bradco. I have never been so impressed by the quality, lift capacity and workmanship. Plus, I can sell them for the same price as I sold my old Forks, which were made by CTI.

All of this has a lot to do with the lift capacity of your Skid Steer. With the ever increasing lift capacities of Skid Steer's, better Forks are needed. I would not get caught up in the "name"-(Bobcat, Cat, Deere). Look for Tine size, lift capcity and useful items like a "D" ring, or additional footsteps and the like-there IS a difference-Bobcat,Cat, Deere and other OEM's don't make their own Forks!

/ Skid Steer Forks
I have a Bobcat Toolcat. I am lucky to get 2,100# off the ground very far.

I am hoping to move large rectangular hay bales. I guess they weigh around 800# to 1,000#. I am leaning towards 48" long forks to make sure I have enough length.

Yooper Dave

/ Skid Steer Forks #8  
We just purchased a set on e-bay they were $615.00 plus shipping. They came out of OH had them in NJ in two days. An excellent made product in the USA and well worth the money. The name of the seller is "skidsteering" Great guy to deal with. They are 5000lb rated forks. He also has some skid steer buckets that look pretty nice. Hope this helps.

/ Skid Steer Forks #9  
Markham welding sells the rack, and you pick up the forks themselves locally.

That is the route I would go. I forget what the price was, but the rack itself was not bad, and the tractor places around here usually have various forks around at reasonable prices.

/ Skid Steer Forks #10  
I bought the fork frame from Markham welding. Melissa ordered the forks and I payed for them and had them shipped to me total price $450- $500 dollars the rating is for 4,500 lbs I am happy with the forks David