Clogged grease fitting.

/ Clogged grease fitting. #1  

PTRich

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT425
I have a grease fitting I have not been able to take grease. I replaced the fitting, tried a device you tap with a hammer filled with PTBuster (like WD40), sprayed the pin with breakaway for 2 weeks and heating up the pin trying to force grease in, also trying to force in grease while working the pin fully, lock to lock. Any new ideas would be appreciated. The machine is only a 2003 and the pin has little or no wear on it. Should I be affraid of taking the pin appart?

/ Clogged grease fitting. #2  
Don't be afraid. It sounds like there may be an oil hole in the bushing that is not lined up with the grease fitting. You should take it apart and see why it is fubar.

jb

/ Clogged grease fitting. #3  
If it was me, I would be digging in, as far as I would be concerned it is not right now, and would not be getting any better, that kind of thing just works on me when it does not work correctly.

/ Clogged grease fitting.
I think your right Alan, I'm going to spray the bolts for a couple of days and try to take it appart. If I can't get grease in it it's already broke, so what harm could I do. Worst case I have to change the pin wich I would have to do any how.

/ Clogged grease fitting. #5  
If you have a hand or electric pump like is used for a porta-power plumb it the hole in place of the grease fitting and put the pressure to it the oil will push through where grease never will and clean the pin out have used that trick lots of times on large loaders in coal piles when the grease holes plug up

/ Clogged grease fitting. #6  
I think John bud is right. You must have a greese port not lined up. Many new models made now don't have that outer grove turned on the bushing. If the holes are not lined up you'll never get greese through. Take pin out and greese fitting out. If you can't punch through the hole with an awl then you have to take out and press the bushing in with the hole lined up. You could also get a drill bit smaller than the threads on the greese fitting and drill a new hole through the bushing. You won't risk any durability of the joint doing so. Good Luck, Dean

/ Clogged grease fitting. #7  
I'm a little confused about what pin your talking about.

Most greese fitting on hydralic cylinders go to a bushing around a pin. Is that it? There really is nothing to align. The zirk fitting goes to the bushing, which has a groove in it for the greese. There may or may not be a seal on the ends to keep dirt out and grease in.

When I have a fitting that doesn't take grease anymore, I take it off and through it away. Then I use a small flat head screwdriver. Very small. And I scoop out all the greas I can out of the opening.

Next I run a tap through the threads and get what I can off of them.

I put in a new zirk fitting and pump in grease until new grease comes out of the seals, or ends of the pins.

So far, I've never had to take apart a bushing or anything to get one to accept grease. It's usually just that the greaze inside the zirk fitting has gottne hard and wont go into the bushings.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Clogged grease fitting.
Tried that, just will not take grease.

/ Clogged grease fitting. #9  
PTRich said:
I have a grease fitting I have not been able to take grease. I replaced the fitting, tried a device you tap with a hammer filled with PTBuster (like WD40), sprayed the pin with breakaway for 2 weeks and heating up the pin trying to force grease in, also trying to force in grease while working the pin fully, lock to lock. Any new ideas would be appreciated. The machine is only a 2003 and the pin has little or no wear on it. Should I be affraid of taking the pin appart?

PTRich,

I've encountered this situation MANY times on my bigger construction equipment so don't feel alone. My IH4800 has several fittings that won't accept grease anymore. I have replaced the old fittings, scooped out all the old dried grease, sprayed every known dissolving substance into the holes, you name it.

They still won't accept grease. I can only sit & worry about when the parts inside will break or fail.

Mostly happens on my leaf spring busings on the ends of the leaf springs.

I have a 6 month old L-39 that already has a failed grease fitting.

/ Clogged grease fitting. #10  
How deep is the hole? When the zerk is snug, is it bottomed out? I have some that won't take grease for that reason. You can remove the zerk and try to squirt grease through it, keeping in mind that the nozzle of the grease gun is adjustable for how tight it grips the zerk. That would troubleshoot the zerk instead of the hole it goes in.