I bought me a backhoe!

/ I bought me a backhoe! #1  

Mike24

Tractor
International 270a
Hello everyone at TBN. I'm a newbie here. I have been reading through a lot of the site, seems like great place w/ a lot of experience.

I bought my first piece of equipment last weekend! I got a 1979 international 270a backhoe. So far it seems to work pretty well. It starts right up and runs good. Seems to have plenty of power and all the hydraulics work well. The only thing wrong w/ it is its ugly, needs a paint job bad and there is some play in the backhoe and the FEL

After reading through a lot of the posts here I see that 4wd is the way to go, unfortunately mine is 2wd. the data plate says the weight is 16,200lbs. Is that enough weight to get around in 2wd ok?

I paid $5,300 for it. Does that sound like a fair price? It has about 4600 hours on it. The guy said the motor had been rebuilt but wasn’t sure how many hours ago.
After I got it to my house it took about 6 minutes to get my first stump out.
Hopefully I can figure out how to get some pictures on here. So people can take a look at it!

/ I bought me a backhoe! #2  
Well, you got yourself a heavy duty tractor there, for sure. There's probably nothing you couldn't do with that. Before I ended up getting a CUT, I looked at many backhoes like yours. And "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I like it.

/ I bought me a backhoe! #3  
I like it, too! My tractor is probably uglier!:D

With that kind of weight I don't think you will have any problem getting around.

/ I bought me a backhoe! #4  
Congradulations on the new tractor! I have bought used tractors before and you will be amazed over the next few years how much you will learn about your tractor's hydraulics, engine, electrical system, etc...It is a growing experience. Good Luck!

/ I bought me a backhoe! #5  
Hi there
I bought a Case 580C of the same vintage this spring and I love it. All backhoes were 2WD back then and they got around just fine. Once you learn how to get yourself unstuck (you WILL get stuck, or you aren't working hard enough) with the FEL and hoe you will be fine.

Mine has worn tires, and the differential lock didnt work when I bought it. Some PB Blaster freed the differential lock and it makes a big difference.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v735/MontaukBob/backhoe/

/ I bought me a backhoe!
i have already been stuck 4 times and the hoe pulled me out everytime. i try and get on it everynight and play around. right now its at my brothers house i have been digging up stumps, i havent gotten to any big ones yet these only take about 5 minutes. im still having trouble getting the stumps into the FEL to get rid of them. is there a trick to that?
i got the pressure washer out last night and started cleaning. 27 years of grease and dirt. i havent done the engine yet, maybe i will tonight i have a hydraulic leak that drips on the manifold so the engine is fillthy.
thanks for the replies.

/ I bought me a backhoe! #7  
Using the FEL takes some practice because you cant see squat in front of it. If the stump has roots sticking out all over picking it up with the bucket can be tough. If the stump isnt going very far I usually pick it up with the backhoe and carry it that way. If it has to go in the FEL try tilting it down slightly and get under it. If there is another stump or pile you can push it into then it is easier to get it in the bucket

/ I bought me a backhoe! #8  
I always try to have a tre around to pin the stump up against, much easier that way. Later, Nat

/ I bought me a backhoe! #9  
I have a international 270a back hoe. Iam looking for some part it the swing for the bucket part number is 544-778-R91. The two ear broke off for the hydrolic for the up and down for the bucket. If someone knows where I can find one please let me know thanks.

/ I bought me a backhoe! #10  
I have a 270a I am looking for a swing arm for the bucket. The part # is 544-778-R91. If you know were I can get this part let me know. Thank you. I have all the books on the 270a so if you have any questions. just ask. I had to rebuild the motor on mine also but it has been a great machine. if I can get this part I need.