Backhoe loading advice

/ Backhoe loading advice #1  

bailey_trey

Hi all,

This is my fist post in TBN. I've been reading Eddie Walker's thread on creating a lake. Create a lake I'm now hooked and have been reading a lot of this website.

My father passed away in December and left several pieces of construction equipment. Bulldozer, Backhoe, trackers, etc. I have been driving the equipment around my farm and learning how to use them. Recently, I purchased a gooseneck trailer to transport these pieces of equipment.

Now to my point. Weekend before last I was loading the backhoe, Case 580C, with a hydrostatic transmission. The backhoe's transmission slips. Meaning, when I pull/push the shuttle lever the backhoe takes a second or two before moving. This slipping wasn't really a problem until I started to drive up the ramps for the gooseneck trailer. I drove up and just as the back wheels got on the trailer ramps the transmission wouldn't pull the tracker forward. I was just hung there.

I quickly added a little engine RPM via the throttle. At this point the transmission suddenly grabs. The whole tractor popped a wheely and I thought I was going over backwards! As the front end finally started back down I realized my troubles were NOT over. The right front tire wasn't going to land on the trailer. So over we went, backhoe and I, off the side of the trailer! I jumped off and escaped with only a sore knee to show for my ignorance.

Well, I've lived to tell about this. I also have the fear of god within me. I really am concerned about loading this thing in the future. I would rather get some kind of winch to pull the tracker onto the trailer. I’m thinking the safest thing for me to do in the future is to just load slowly by winching onto the trailer. However, I don’t know squat about winches and welcome advice from anyone out there. My backhoe/loader weighs about 9500 lbs according to the user manual.

What type of winch is good to attach to the trailer? Since my life is on the line, no budget is too high and no installation is too difficult. I just would like to know what kind of winches other people have used and success/failures that have resulted. Please help save me from myself.

/ Backhoe loading advice #2  
The actual safest way to load this item will be to fix the transmission and drive it on or off each time.

The winch idea is good, and would be perfectly safe (if ot safer since you aren't on the machine) but someday you will be using this backhoe, in between say a deep ditch and your house and it will slip then grab and you'll end up backhoe and all in your kitchen!

Kinda makes that transmission fix not sound so bad.

/ Backhoe loading advice #3  
Check the transmission fluid level. If it is a little low, when you start up the ramp, the transmission could be starved for fluid because of the incline. Low fluid would cause the hesitation. On some large pieces of equipment you over fill the transmission when working on inclines because of this.

/ Backhoe loading advice
BirdHunter,

Point taken about fixing the transmission. I mean having a new entry into the kitchen might not be all that bad, but I'd rather have it planned.

I do intend on fixing the transmission. I'm looking into a rebuild kits at this site. They've got a complete shuttle transmission kit which I plan on installing. I have to replace the back right wheel as well because it was bent during the fall from the trailer. I'm quite comfortable with repairs/maintenance.

However, the thought driving up those ramps gives me the creeps. Maybe my trailer is taller that normal or dovetail is to short. But whatever the case I just feel like the backhoe is balanced too tail-heavy to be driven up those ramps. I have only driven up on the trailer 3 times. The first two times I managed to get the wheels of the trailer in a low spot. Having the trailer wheels lower than the ramps made the angle less steep. But this last time it was level ground all around and the world came tumbling down!

Dozernut,
I've checked that transmission fluid and it is completely full. Perhaps a bit above the full mark. I have had the slipping problem on level ground. Slipping happened fairly often, especially when starting in reverse. So I really think the trans needs a rebuild. Thanks for the suggestion.

All,
Here's another question about loading. IF a person were to drive onto a trailer, do you load by driving forward or reverse onto the trailer? I've seen backhoes loaded both ways. What are the advantages of loading backware?

/ Backhoe loading advice #5  
Would you be more comfortable backing it on? At least you won't have to worry about the front getting light.

/ Backhoe loading advice #6  
Mosby said:
Would you be more comfortable backing it on? At least you won't have to worry about the front getting light.

I load my 580B by backing on the trailer and it has no slippage in the transmission to cause problems--Ken Sweet

/ Backhoe loading advice
Well I guess backing on the trailer is the way to go. Like Mosby says, "At least the back end won't get light".

I'll get the transmission fixed and try it again. Man, i dread it though. I sure was hoping to hear from several people about ways to load with a winch.

Hey Ken, when you back onto the trailer do you feel uneasy? Like you're going to roll over forward? How high would you say the deck of your trailer is? Mine is right at 3 foot high.

/ Backhoe loading advice #8  
The more you use your backhoe the more comfortable you will feel when using it on inclines and such. People load them on trailers all the time. Once the transmission problem is fixed... I think you'll find it easy to load and somewhat hard to roll over.

As for the winch idea.... no doubt you could do that. But it's only a matter of time until the tranny totally gives up and might leave you stranded in a hard to reach area.... or like another poster mentioned... give out while your already on an incline, in a ditch, or something to that effect.

One other thing I was wondering about.... you said it weights around 9500 lbs? That seems light. A buddy of mine has a newer 580L and I believe comes in near 17,000 lbs.

Good luck and be careful.

/ Backhoe loading advice #9  
I have a Allis Chalmers TLB (same size as 580CK) and always load by reversing up the ramps on trailer. It is 2WD and way too light in the front to go forward up significant slopes.

Loading on a trailer is always stressful, even after many years.

/ Backhoe loading advice #10  
580c's spec out at around 12,500lbs. if I remember... More with options...