Can someone explain Operating Capacity?

/ Can someone explain Operating Capacity? #1  

catvet

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39
I keep looking at skid steers and compact track loaders. They have ratings for 35% of tip, 50% of tip, and tipping load. What do these figures actually mean. I can do the math and see how they relate to each other but what do they mean in terms of picking up a load. Does a machine that has a 50% rating of 3400 lbs actually pick up 3400 hundred pounds if you have forks on it? Just wondering how to use these numbers in the "real" world.

Thanks for your help

Jerry

/ Can someone explain Operating Capacity? #2  
If the tipping load is 3400 lbs the machine will pick that up under ideal conditions (flat ground, not moving) if it's not ideal conditions it will do a nose dive. So yes the machine will pick that but it's useless to you since you cant do anything with it.
So they cut the tipping load number in half and call it the Rated Operating Capacity.

/ Can someone explain Operating Capacity?
gatractorman,

Thanks for the explaination.

Jerry

/ Can someone explain Operating Capacity? #4  
Rated operating capacity (ROC) is 50% of tipping capacity under ideal conditions, as gatractorman mentioned, for wheeled machines and 35% of tipping capacity for tracked loaders. Currently, compact track loaders and multi-terrain loaders are not specifically called out in either group.

However, gatractorman, SAE and ISO standards do specify that ROC is with a rated, standard bucket -- therefore, if a machine's tipping load is published truly, it will NOT pick up that load on standard forks. This is because forks extend the weight further out. However, if a manufacturer purposely under-rates the tipping load (claiming it's 5,000 pounds, for instance, instead of truly tipping at 6,000), you may be able to pick up the 5,000 pound pallet. NOTE: what is most important is that picking up the tipping load, regardless of work tool, is extremely dangerous. It assumes ideal conditions, which is rarely, if ever, the case. (Full fuel, heavy operator, no bow in the tires, no give in the ground, flat ground, no wind, and perfectly static loading are some examples of assumptions in the process for determining tipping capacity.)

The answer to your question is no, most SSL or MTL/CTL cannot lift their tipping load with forks. There are exceptions, but to be safe, I'd prefer you use a larger machine.

If you have more specific questions regarding the standards, I can get back to you on that.

/ Can someone explain Operating Capacity?
Thanks Tigerotor.

Jerry