Something you hate to see...

/ Something you hate to see... #1  

RobJ

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500
BIL's JD350, but it may not be as bad as it seems, it's on the dead side of the block, not in the oil galleys. One ugly story on how it happened. Lets just say NEVER turn the key while the #3 rod cap and bearing are out and you have a loose rod hanging there. Also busted out part of the piston skirt. Bad news is it's not sort of wedged in there. He can't move the piston up or the crank around. I haven't had a chance to look at it from the bottom yet. The block will be repaired with JB Weld or something, that should be ok if nothing else major is done.

#2 was frozen, oil leaked out of the dozer.

Attachments

• dozerhole1.jpg
    dozerhole1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 544
  • dozerhole2.jpg
    dozerhole2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 428
   / Something you hate to see... #2  
How much pressure there and how hot does it get? Try epoxy fiberglas and make sure its real clean and dry and let it cure real good about 3 layers should do ya
Jim

/ Something you hate to see... #3  
That must be a new JD option.... a window in the block so you can see internal engine parts. :)

Good luck on the repair.

/ Something you hate to see... #4  
I would recommend getting the Block "stitched"-it will be as good as new-

/ Something you hate to see... #5  
Hey Rob,

Is this the same BIL with the engine your rebuilt, then he ran it without any oil after a line came loose?

Seeing your pictures and what you have to deal with, makes me feel better about my dozer repairs.

I'd love to see how it comes out, so please post plenty of pics.

Eddie

/ Something you hate to see...
EddieWalker said:
Hey Rob,

Is this the same BIL with the engine your rebuilt, then he ran it without any oil after a line came loose?

Seeing your pictures and what you have to deal with, makes me feel better about my dozer repairs.

I'd love to see how it comes out, so please post plenty of pics.

Eddie

The same, the top end has about 8 hours on it. Then the line came lose. then he tried to see what was wrong. Then cranked it with the #3 rod just hanging. :( For 70 something he can run circles around many half his age, but if one hammer won't work....then get a bigger hammer is the motto. :)

Couple weeks ago they tried to pull it back to the barn. Had to go up a little hill and the tractor just dug in. 2 90hp tractors might be able to get it on flat ground and back to the barn...about 300 yards across a field. He's got a large area to clear and we're saying to just rent a good size dozer and you can get it done in a week for a grand or so. This is an old dozer that's just good for the small stuff. And it's getting more costly.

/ Something you hate to see...
This was the last time...

Attachments

• dozer-001.JPG
    dozer-001.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 259
  • dozer-002.JPG
    dozer-002.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 196
  • dozer-003.JPG
    dozer-003.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 193