Radiator "Heat Houser"

/ Radiator "Heat Houser" #1  

Tedman

Tractor
New Holland TC 35D, Farmall H, John Deere 450C crawler loader
Radiator \"Heat Houser\"

Has anyone ever operated a dozer with a "Heat Houser" attached to the front of the radiator grill? It uses a canvas tube to provide a stream of warm air for the operator. I was considering buying one, they sell for about $150 and was wondering if anyone thought they were worth it.

/ Radiator "Heat Houser" #2  
Re: Radiator \"Heat Houser\"

They work very well. If the dozer is on double shifts during fall and spring months the operators are always wanting to have the fan turned depending on which shift they are on.
Egon

/ Radiator "Heat Houser"
Re: Radiator "Heat Houser"

Egon,

I have attached a picture of the style that I am interested in: http://www.burchmfg.com/ind_heat_houser/images/heat_tube.jpg
Seems if you turned the fan it would just suck air back through the tube instead. Unless you are refering to a different style of heater. My father told me he had a older dozer that the radiator fan could be reversed and that blew air back threw vents in the cab area.

Ted

/ Radiator "Heat Houser" #4  

When its hot out the fan is set to blow forwards. When it is cold the fan is set to blow back to the operator and keep him warm.
Egon

/ Radiator "Heat Houser" #5  

Ted,
What you are looking at and what Egon is referring to are two different items. I have used the style that egon is referring to and would highly reccomend it. It is hard to describe but it is essentially 2 pieces of canvas that go from the front of each side of the dozer back to the operators area. Nothing goes in front of the radiator. By turning the radiator fan blades so that they direct the air flow rearwards the hot air is channelled to the operator. During late fall and early spring the fan blades can remain blowing air forwards and the canvases will still direct enough radiant heat to keep the operator confortable. There is also a 3rd piece of canvas that kinda goes over the operators lap that really directs all the warm air directly on to the operator. This is very hard to describe but it works awesome on cold days.

The unit that you are looking at looks more prone to being damaged. I also question on how effective it would be. I would recommend the style that Egon was referring to. If you go to your dozer dealer they should be able to help you. If not I should be able to get you a manufacturer and probably a phone number.

Jimmy

/ Radiator "Heat Houser" #6  
Re: Radiator "Heat Houser"

Ted:
Jimmy's comments are exactly what I was trying to say. I agree with Jimmy's comments. The "tube" could even lead to overheating as the air flow is restricted. It sure will not help visibility.
I do believe I may be communication deficient.
Egon

/ Radiator "Heat Houser"

Thanks for all your responses. I agree with the lack of visibility and possible overheating with this style of heater. But, I have a JD 450C loader and I don't think they make the style you are talking about for them, only for the dozers. All of the hydraulic cylinders and lift arms are right along side of the engine compartment. Looks like the one that attaches to the grill is the only option for my machine. I saw one of them on a piece of equipment working on some highway construction. I was just wondering if anyone thought it was worth it before I bought one. I may just put on a few more layers of clothes.

Ted