Dump Truck Urge

/ Dump Truck Urge #11  
BarryinMN said:
When I was designing light truck parts 150K miles was considered life, we tested to double life for ppm failure rates, modes, etc ;)

Barry, if you don't mind me asking, around when were you doing that, and for who? I'm asking because my '97 F150 has 133k miles and it is starting to break, often. I'm wondering if it is time to bail out.
Thanks!

/ Dump Truck Urge #12  
Would a dump trailer suit you at all?
If so think.... no need for a CDL (unless you get one rated over 10K lbs.), you probably already have a truck capable of pulling it, if needed you can hook it to your tractor, less maintenance, no fuel (other than your pickup truck), no annual inspections, cheaper license plates (at least in IL).

/ Dump Truck Urge #13  
I also needed a way to move dirt and other stuff around the ranch, but didn't want another potential mechanical nightmare to maintain...the solution for me was the dump trailor. I pull it everywhere with my tractor, easily load it with a front-end loader, and other than an occasional battery re-charge, have zero maintenance headaches. Just don't overload it and it will last many, many years.

/ Dump Truck Urge #14  
A trailer ends up being MUCH cheaper, because you don't need to carry insurance on it, unless you are worried about theft, etc. Otherwise, when on the road, the tow vehicles insurance covers it.

/ Dump Truck Urge #15  
HAOLEGUY: You might consider a dump/stake truck also, which is suitable for all material, except asphalt. The stakes would provide much more room with the wood deck for large stones, and brush removal, etc. Then simply install side boards for loose material, sand and gravel, top soil, etc. I have an F-350 dump truck with a metal box and sideboards, but loading heavy stones would destroy the box, if they are round and heavy, and hand loaded only; the bottom of the box is a relative light weight metal, and may not hold up, unless plywood is placed over the metal. In short, they are a much more multi-purpose truck. Also, the purchase price might be less. Look at them both before you decide. I have had my dump truck for 17 years, and they are a good investment. Once you own one, you wonder how you got by without it? Good luck on your purchase!

/ Dump Truck Urge
All - I have thought long and hard about the dump trailer but for the size that I would need for stones and gravel it does not make sense. I have pushed my F150 to the limit(actually beyond) by trailering a 6K lb wood chipper. Since I'm planning to move up to the 3-6yd territory with dense material such as rock and stone I would need to swap my F150 for an F350 or larger to pull that trailer. A high mileage dump truck is looking quite good right now. I have the bed size dialed in to 12' range and am still unsure of bed type. The dump bed manufacturers appear to be computer phobes and do not seem to have easily accessible websites or sufficient comparison information. If anyone knows of dump bed websites with good info please let me know. Anyone know the cost of the various dump beds in the 10' to 12' range? Also how important is AC...can it be added later? Thank you for the suggestions thus far.

/ Dump Truck Urge #17  
Are you planning on hauling material to your land or moving it around your place? It makes a huge difference in what you buy depending on what you plan to do with it.

I originally planned on saving money for materials and buy a full sized dump truck. I had it in my mind that I would save enough to pay for the truck by doing all the hauling myself. Then I figured out how much material I needed and how many trips I'd have to make, than time, fuel, insurance and maybe hire a driver. It just didn't add up or make any sense compared to what I can have a it delivered for.

Than I realized that a full sized dumptruck wasn't even practical around my land. It was too big to manuver around my trees, navigate my roads and get into certain areas.

The question than turned to something smaller. I thought about a trailer, but didn't like the idea of having to haul it with another vehicle. I also didn't like the idea of having to back it in to hard to access areas. Last was that I couldn't handle very much material with a trailer with the size of tractor I have. Two or three yards at a time isn't very much. It's slow and awkward.

A single axle, six yard truck made the most sense to me. They come in over 26,000 pouns that require a CDL and under that don't. They all haul six yards, but the ability to tow and haul at the same time is the big difference.

I just wanted to haul dirt on my land.

All the ones I looked at had hydraulic lifts. They are all installed aftermarket. Some looked very clean and well done, others look like some high school kid put it together. I don't know brands or types, but I can tell a lousy install real easy. Look at it real careful.

Hydraulic is very straighforward, easy to repair and simple to operate. It's very reliable and will last decades under heavy use.

Do you need to haul allot of material? Thousands of yards of material doesn't go very far if you doing a big development. If it's just a few homes and some roads, it isn't as important, but you'll be real suprised at how much dirt it takes to build up a pad or smooth out a road.

A flat field will take a six yard load dumped end to end the full length of the road for two lanes at a minimum. If you try to use a smaller truck or one that's not designed to haul dirt, you'll be wasting time and kicking yourself for buying too small a vehicle.

AC would be nice, but only if you plan on spending long hours inside the cab. I'm in and out of mine. Windows are open and I have a small fan that I'm going to install. It's hot, sweaty work!!! If your in and out, than AC will just make you sick.

Spend as much as you can afford. I paid $3,00 from mine and had to put a new engine into it. That was another $2,000 and that's a gas engine. I'd rather have a diesel, but didn't want to spend the extra for it, plus all the ones I saw were over 26,000 pounds. I don't need or want a CDL again. Been there, done that.

If you define exactly what you need your truck to do, it will become more obvious what your choices are.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Dump Truck Urge #18  
Eddie as some good points.
My dumper is only used around my place and my neighbors.It doesnt go to any of our other ranches and when we need a load hauled from town we call a homie. I am considering another dumper,just for the other ranches and local work under 26k/no cdl like eddies. Although a full size dump/water tender does look like a good investment for fires and bigger work. I heard th F.S. was going to a bid system next year.

My dump is very very old but It does its job and does it well. Going to put a new 6cyl,and rear breaks in this winter. It has had a lon, hard life working gold mines hauling rock and such. Dumpie has a 4yd bed,dual rear single axle, 2 speed,hydraulic dump and starts as soon soon as you stomp the starter.wouldn't trade her for nuttin. Like I said Im looking for something like Eddie's.

Attachments

• my dumper.JPG
    my dumper.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 290
  • old school ruler.JPG
    old school ruler.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 456
  • a homie's dump.JPG
    a homie's dump.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 279
   / Dump Truck Urge
Eddie & MonkeyMonk - Thank you for the messages. The following are the current jobs I know I will need to cover. My property is located ~ 1500 ft back in from the main road. Currently I use a poorly maintained shared road with 2 other families who tend to be dreamers with no idea of road maintenance nor the funds to revive the road. The property that I own was part of a family dairy farm for ~350yrs but has not been actively used for a ~50-60yrs. Thus there are many invasive shrubs that have become pseudotrees and unmanaged secondary growth forest. A perpendicular set of logging roads sort of provides access to the whole property but larger vehicles would have difficulty. The ground has good topsoil but is stony to rocky. Those stones have led to many many stone walls over the past 350 years. This past year I cleared a 6 acre overgrown pasture with such huge debris/shrub/tree piles that I called in a guy with a Bullhog & 18" wood chipper to mulch or chip the mess.....can't get a burn permit until I put a residence with water source or reach farm status. That's the backdrop. I have realized this past year that moving material is very time consuming and costly when you have a limited day. So efficiency is key to me and I do use outside resources when it makes good economic sense. I need to do the following: (1) the invasive plant matter piles need to be taken to the dump and not buried, (2) continually generated plant debris needs to make it to the dump, (3) topsoil from new road needs to be moved up to field which is ~ 2000 ft, (4) stones/rocks need to be moved around to add to and rebuild the walls, (5) gravel for periodic road maintenance required...larger amounts I will have delivered, (6) gravel for vineyard drainage system, (7) timber movement on and outside of property, (8) fencepost delivery to site, (9) wood chip delivery to site, and (10) miscellaneous for new barn & home construction. I expect to have over 3000 ft of primary road and 3 times that for vineyard tractor access paths. The above tasks speak to development of ~ 20 acres of the 42 I have. There is a good possibility that another 30 undeveloped acres might come my way as well. Right now I'm thinking a used F650 high mileage newer year with a 10-12 ft dump body(not sure of style), with PTO lift, hydraulic brakes(should I be concerned about air brakes?), diesel, auto trans(preference not a requirement), under CDL......Cheers.

/ Dump Truck Urge #20  
I have been dancing this dance the last year or two with my wifes landscape business, but for us, I went with the trailer. While it may not work for your plans, I would strongly consider it.

We have to keep a fair size truck running already (3/4 ton currently) but mostly I do not want another piece of equipment that I will have to maintain, and more importantly insure.

I would suggest that before you buy, you call your insurance company and ask what the cost will be to insure what you are proposing to buy. I see where you will be using it on the roads, and while I do not know about your state, most have the requirement to be insured.

I about fell over when I found out the costs of insurance for a dump truck.

My buddy just has his registered as a Pickup, and did not mention the dump portion, and it is privately tagged, and not tagged under his business.

He may run that way the rest of his life and never have a problem, but then again, he could have an accident today and find himself in really deep stuff.

I guess all I am saying is make sure you have spoken to your insurance agent and determined what the cost of operating a dump truck insurance wise is going to be. For me it was a swing vote.

Oh, and I picked up my 6 x 10 deck over 10,000 lb Homesteader dump trailer last night for $3900 plus tax tag title etc. (New) Hope I made the right choices.