experiences with JCB 1550 B

/ experiences with JCB 1550 B #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
I was looking at a JCB 1550B (Turbo) with 2572 hrs on it. Looks run hard and put up wet. 2wd, glass cab with shattered door, several bucket pins look really worn. Aroung 8K

Anyone with experience?

Don't need it, but for whatever reason, would really like to have one. Of course I have not worked out the how to move it part of the equation quite yet either. As silly as it may seem, I am thinking of just driving it too the jobsites that I want to use it at. Has to be cheaper then the truck / trailer and license that it will take to move that thing.

Anyway, anyone have suggestions other then RUN!

Or maybe RUN FAST when my wife finds out I am looking at it?

/ experiences with JCB 1550 B #2  
I own a JCB 1400B which is very similar to the 1550B. I have had it for 5 years and really enjoy it, its a 4x4 model and I paid $8000 for it at an auction. The machines have their pros and cons, they are very well built and have a great Perkins engine, the electrical system can be troublesome and replacement parts are pretty pricey compared to Cat or John Deere.

The only major thing I have repaired was a leaking hydraulic cylinder of course it was the one on the backhoe that is hidden inside the boom...it was a real pain to get it out and rebuilt. None of my lights work, the speedo sometimes works, the gas gauge is broken but it starts and runs and thats all I care about.

All in all they are good machines but just make sure you have plenty of large metric wrenches/sockets as this machine is made in England and not one of the bolts I have turned on it yet are non-metric.

Hope this helps

/ experiences with JCB 1550 B #3  
I don't know a thing about JCB, but I do have a little experince driving a backhoe on public roads. My longest drive one way was 30 miles. Here in Texas, all you need is a red triangle on the back of a tractor to drive it on the roads. Cops never bother me and most cars pass with plenty of room. Of course, there is always the one idiot who needs to prove something to himself, so don't be suprised by something totally idiotic happening.

The biggest suprise I noticed while driving is how much small sand sized materal flies up from passing cars. You will need eye protection of some kind if you don't have an enclosed cab. I had to stop at a gas station and buy a pair of cheap sun glasses the first time. The sand, or whatevery it is, will sandblast exposed skin too. It's not as bad as what it does to your eyes, but if you wear long sleeves and gloves, you wont' be bothered. I also wear ear plugs because of how loud some tires are.

Plan on taking your time, don't rush through a streetlight and expect problems and you'll be ready for them.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ experiences with JCB 1550 B #4  
I own a 1550-B. "Brutus"
Prior owner was TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) and we got it at an auction. Asthetically, it's in bad shape with broken glass all around, missing doors, splotchy marks all over the metalwork where it LOOKS like big rocks hit it and where they dimpled it, it rusted.

Had 1,800 hours on it when I got it, today, it has something like 2,500 as I recall (I never look)

Repairs, some caused by my mistakes, others, just me being picky

1. New muffler, old one rotted out. Was a PAIN to remove turbo
2. New tires all around
3. dipperstick and crowd cylinders repacked/resealed
4. New front wheel hub...seems some idiot failed to retighten the new tire on properly (about $500 mistake as I recall) :(
5. Fuel gauge didn't work until I put in new sending unit, now is fine
6. New water pump
7. New fuel transfer pump
8. New radiator for oil cooler (they had some old cobbed thing in there)
9. New battery
10. SEVERAL new male/male connectors that connect the hydraulic pipes to the stabilizers. Seems some dufas kept dropping trees on them and causing them to leak, I now have several extras in drawer :eek:
11. Several new hydraulic hoses

I've had it now maybe 7 years (guessing)

It's been really stone reliable once those mechanical issues were ironed out. Runs smooth as a baby's behind, just absolutely PURRS when the engine is running.

I'd not hesitate on buying another JCB, nor the same unit. I'd want to do my due dilligence first to ascertain as best I could, it's overall condition. The visual appearence doesn't bother me a bit as I use it for working around the farm. I'm more picky on the mechanicals working though, which is why I put in a new fuel sending switch. AFter all, if I put 2 hours on it in a specific day, all I REALLY need to do is open the fuel hatch & look to see where I stand. I just hate having things not work (like my dash lights, inching clutch and every now & then, the backhoe (rear) lights)

/ experiences with JCB 1550 B #5  
What does "put up wet" mean?

/ experiences with JCB 1550 B
Richard said:
What does "put up wet" mean?

Not maintained, as in, the horse was ridden and put up wet, not brushed, it just has an overall "beat" appearance, greasy, oily, crappy workmanship on repairs etc. Gives the distinct appearance that regular maintenance was not done, just kind of, this broke off, I need it stuck back on however you can.

I was told $7500 on it today, and honestly the best part of the deal, is that it is at a guy's lot I work with regularly and buy things from and have bought a couple of tractors from. He would let me take it and work it for a while while I sorted out if I wanted it or not.

Just bought a new shotgun last night though, and showed the wife how to use it at the skeet range,,,, Just afraid if I drove up on a backhoe, she would remember how to use it :) Then again, probably the safest place I could be would be where she was aiming...... (not that I was much better)

/ experiences with JCB 1550 B
Man, John offered it too me for $7K,,, It is killing me, but if I buy it, it will be like that other add for a tractor or GSXR for sale, apparently when the wife says "Do whatever the Heck you want" has a couple of meanings......

She says I just want another toy,,,, uhmmmmmm,,, kinda hard to argue with that. I am probably best off to keep walking, but man that looks fun, of course the view from underneath the darn thing when it is raining and freezing outside trying to change some blown hose or what not will not be quite so pleasant....

/ experiences with JCB 1550 B #8  
That would be hard to pass up for $7k!!