weight of Ford 555 backhoe/loader ?

/ weight of Ford 555 backhoe/loader ? #1  

jeffd

Tractor
TC24DA
any know the approx weight of a late 70's/early 80's Ford 555 loader backhoe ? I need to get a trailer for this, but I get conflicting advice, some guys say a cheaper 14k gooseneck trailer is plenty, others tell me that I need the more expensive 20k# trailer. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

/ weight of Ford 555 backhoe/loader ? #2  
Most of those units weighed in around 13000-13500. A 14k trailer will be cutting it real close.

/ weight of Ford 555 backhoe/loader ? #3  
You need duals
A 14k lb gooseneck (single 7k axles) empty weighs about 5k lbs
You need the duals, the 20k trailer, even that is probably right there. (those trailers weigh 6 to 8k, plus the backhoe, puts you right at 20)

most diesel 3/4 ton, 1 ton trucks are rated at about 15,000 lbs tow rating.

You're over a lot unless you have something bigger to tow with.

/ weight of Ford 555 backhoe/loader ? #4  
Base weight for that unit is 14,010# add 400# each for cab and 4 wheel drive if equipped front counter weight is 600# extenda hoe will add almost 1000# more so you are looking at 7-8 ton depending on attachments you will need at least a 12 ton trailer even that will be cutting it close if you haul anything extra with the machine

/ weight of Ford 555 backhoe/loader ? #5  
Mine is in the 14,000 pound range, but it's a little newer, 1998. Two wheel drive, open cab 555E.

I don't tow it, but it was delivered with a one ton duelly dodge diesel pickup truck from one hundred miles away, and he says he does it all the time. My local New Holland dealer also delivers and picks up backhoes and small dozers with a pickup truck and goose neck trailer. It's very common.

Sorry, but I don't know any details on the trailers.

Eddie