JCB vs Case Backhoe

/ JCB vs Case Backhoe #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
I do not have all the numbers in front of me, but I looked at two backhoes last weekend.

One was a case, I want to say 580 K? anyway 2wd NO extendahoe etc.

Other was a JCB, slightly larger machine then the case 2wd etc.

Same price. 12K

Both look well used, but have been looked over and leaks and problem areas cleaned up, repaired etc.

There is a JCB dealer in town (new) but they are tied to a Deere dealer, which makes me think they will be expensive.

Would I be substantially better off with the Case because it is more common? Or is this another piece of equipment that parts are fairly common and interchangeable on?

He also offered to lend me a HUGE track hoe for a while, the wife wants a pond, Probably cost me about $200 to move it too me and another $200 to move it back to him. That thing is big enough to scare and excite me all at the same time. :) I will try and grab some pictures.

/ JCB vs Case Backhoe #2  
The Case 580 is hard to beat, it has been around a long time and new and used parts and buckets are easy to come by. I know the JCB is one of the most popular worldwide but I don't know as much about parts availability vs. the Case. Is the JCB 4wd or 2wd?

/ JCB vs Case Backhoe #3  
A friend has a JCB and has no problems getting parts around here. He's been very happy with it.

/ JCB vs Case Backhoe
They are both 2wd, In the price I am looking, the 4wd's are not available.

/ JCB vs Case Backhoe #5  
12k for a 580 K is pretty cheap. A 2wd 580 K up here is 15k easy in good shape.

In my area there are a lot more Case machines than JCB, thats why I bought a Case. Parts for either machine are going to be expensive, you have to pay to play the game. For the Case if you get a 580 E or older the parts are about half as expensive as the 580 K and newer.

/ JCB vs Case Backhoe #8  
Sounds like your in the same boat as me L39... Case and Cat are my local choices for parts. New Holland isn't too far but there aren't many units around to shop.
I like the looks of the Komatsu and Terex which are both cheaper in my area but the nearest dealer is 80ish miles away in a town I don't like to travel to, or rather travel in..

As to the original question Case vs JCB. Case has my vote... The older JCBs can have electrical problems and I hate electrical problems.

/ JCB vs Case Backhoe
We almost pulled the trigger yesterday, Hanna was on the phone seeing if he would finance it for us, and I still had not decided on which one yet :) I think I am leaning towards the Case, because it is more common, and I am sure I will have problems as it is an older machine.

/ JCB vs Case Backhoe
OK, we thought we could move the large track hoe out here with his trailer and cannot, it is not large enough, moving charge looks like $400 to $500 each way to have an outside guy do it. Still probably a heck of a deal, but I will be 1K down and not have any equipment at the end, so the backhoe deal is appealing too me.

Maybe I just want a hoe :)

Anyhoo, here are the pictures.

There is also a Case Extendahoe available from another guy, I am a little afraid of that as I would wonder about the linkages etc. on an older worn one.

They just put some TLC on the JCB and did a cylinder etc. on it. Price is climbing a bit but not substantially. Case is up a bit as well. I think he is giveing them too me at what he has in them, maybe he just wants me to go away :) I think retail # on it would be about $15 to $16.

Here are some pics of the two in question.

JCB is two stick, that is what he reccomends, he said it is newer, early 90's vs early 80's or so, and overall in better shape, but in the end, he will help me any way he can. The JCB has rolled, or tipped and the roll bar has been repaired.

Here are some pics. Talk with the bank tomorrow and see what they tell me.

Attachments

• DSCN1913.JPG
    DSCN1913.JPG
    388.9 KB · Views: 2,092
  • DSCN1916.JPG
    DSCN1916.JPG
    403.8 KB · Views: 1,155
  • DSCN1917.JPG
    DSCN1917.JPG
    405.6 KB · Views: 1,614
  • DSCN1918.JPG
    DSCN1918.JPG