I need more things to wrench on so I bought a dump truck!

/ I need more things to wrench on so I bought a dump truck! #1  

rexcramer

Silver Member
Tractor
Case 580C
As if a 25 year old backhoe wasn't enough to keep me busy now I have a 20 year old dump truck, lol.

I am going to be digging a pond soon for fill for my new house and this baby will be going to work.

She has a 366 gasser and a 10 speed tranny. Not too bad for $5000 I dont think. It has a 5 yard box.

MontaukBob/dump truck - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

/ I need more things to wrench on so I bought a dump truck! #2  
You mean 5 speed tranny with a 2 speed rear don't you. :)

That's way to clean looking, you better find some dirt to throw on it. Looks like you got your hands on a truck in nice condition. The 366 is a tank of a engine and will probably outlast the truck chassis. Good find!

/ I need more things to wrench on so I bought a dump truck!
yeah two speed rear, it still has 10 speeds lol.

I took the pictures now because it will probably never be this clean again. I normally prefer diesels but I am pretty familiar with big block Chevys so I think the 366 and I will get along fine.

The owner claims the 50000 miles on the odometer is actual and looking at the chassis I believe him. I will be using the truck in sand, have you ever ran one of these trucks with tire chains? I am curious if they will be worth the money, my tires have good rubber on them.

/ I need more things to wrench on so I bought a dump truck! #4  
Yep, used chains on one very similar to this (it was even red!) that had a snow plow on it and a salt spreader. Chains worked great in ice and snow.

From the looks of it I think it probably is 50K miles, they don't get much better than that for the age.

One thing I have to ask, does this have the dreaded double smog pump setup for the emissions? You know, you can't see the engine for all the vacuum lines. :)

/ I need more things to wrench on so I bought a dump truck! #5  
Man, that does look sharp!

So does your backhoe on the other page by the way.

Nice deal.

/ I need more things to wrench on so I bought a dump truck! #6  
Looks like a keeper to me.

For me the two speed rearends always meant I had a seven speed in actuality. A couple of those gears were like boobs on a boar.

/ I need more things to wrench on so I bought a dump truck! #7  
Thats a good choice for a small dumptruck. VERY simple and reliable to operate. For $5,000 bucks you gotta say "WTH"??? The 366 is a GM "industrial" engine, same as a 427, just bored-out less. Not a powerhouse, but built like an anvil. The blocks are super big & tough. Plenty of cheap used parts for your truck laying around.

To figure how many yards your box is, multiply length x width x height & divide by 27. So if the box is 8 feet long, 7 feet wide and 2 feet high 8x7x2=112. 112/27= 4.15 yards.

Good find!

/ I need more things to wrench on so I bought a dump truck!
The engine has cast iron headers, which I think are stock. I think it does have that double smog pump because there are two additional air filters on the top of the engine. There are also air pump lines going to each tube on the headers. There is no catalytic converter. I thought it seemed like there was an awful lot of crap on that poor engine!

Next will probably be a trailer for the backhoe, but I need a house first lol.

Thanks for the comments

/ I need more things to wrench on so I bought a dump truck! #9  
When are you planning on digging your pond? Is it going to be a large one or what?

Blake

/ I need more things to wrench on so I bought a dump truck! #10  
Great looking truck,
I also have been exploring buying a used dump truck. I was looking hard at the first of the year but have since backed off. I was familarizing myself with small dump trucks features and drivetrain option, insurance and registration requirements. Right now we have 2 SUV's and a compact car that I drive to work. So I use one or the SUV's and a 5 by 8 trailer for my weekend projects, but wife and daughter are driving the SUV's daily, so sometimes no vehicle to pull the trailer
Originally I was looking for a older 3/4 ton pickup something to use around my place on weekends and abuse as required. Then I started thinking about a dump truck.
The wife agrees that a pickup would be good to have around, as she would also have interest in using it with some of her projects, but does not like the dump truck idea at all.
I've been looking for something smaller on a pickup platform. 3 yard.
I've looked at 5 or 6 in the 3-5k range, and a lot of junk out there, mostly abused landscaping trucks.
anyway again good job on your truck.