IH 3414 parts problem

/ IH 3414 parts problem #1  

SteveNY

Tractor
IH 3414 Industrial
Hi, I'm new to this group and wow, what a group. This web site is the greatest. Just bought my TLB (picture attached). I posted my problem in "parts/repairs forum" on this site. I am so happy to now have a tractor I can't sit still at night. Maybe some of you out there can help me. Thank you.

Attachments

• 17-106064-backhoe3.JPG
    17-106064-backhoe3.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 999
   / IH 3414 parts problem #2  
Welcome aboard Steve. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Now that you have enter the TBN zone you maybe come addicted like alot of us here. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif
Thats a sweet machine you got there..where did you purchase the gem.
You may want to post your picture on Yesterday Tractor website and info,for lot of those guys tinker w/those problems and are very helpful.

/ IH 3414 parts problem
Thanks for the welcoming,
When I bought my tractor it was completely by suprise to me. My wife and I were coming back from church by a normally untraveled route by us. There it was next to the road. When we stopped I was just looking, had not planned on buying one till next yr. The more I looked the more I wanted. That next morning at 6 am I think I woke his wife up. Told him to hold it till that night for me. Couldn't pass it up. Drove it home, about a 4 mi. ride. Been pushing and digging ever since.

/ IH 3414 parts problem #4  
Steve,
Welcome aboard the forum! I wish we had more people in the construction equipment topic area. When I got my first TLB---much smaller than yours---I could hardly contain myself./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif My wife thought I was nuts, I couldn’t stop digging. We have a friend that says we bought a mountain place and now I am trying to move the mountain out of the way. As you can see, I relate to your new joy in life./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Do spend some time reading the safety treads. You may have more tractor experience that I did, but this machine can get you in a lot of trouble before you realize what is happening. That is a pretty long reach hoe and with no ROPS, being an older machine, means to me, take it slow at first. Don’t want to sound like I am preaching, just don’t want anyone to do as many stupid thing as I did learning./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

MarkV

/ IH 3414 parts problem
MarkV,
Well to be honest with you I have a whole 20 hrs. on the TLB.
Just bought it in the fall. Maybe more hrs. than that b/c the time flys when I'm on that machine. I will check out the safety treads, I want to learn all I can. Anything I should look out for that isn't obvious? By the way what is a ROPS?

/ IH 3414 parts problem #6  
Nice machine. I have a IH 2500b tractor loader with a 3pt hitch. Pretty bad shape, but did its job well. Welcome to the board.

/ IH 3414 parts problem #7  
Steve,
A ROPS is a “Roll Over Protection System” or roll bar. Newer machines are required to have them and obviously you don’t ever want to use one./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Most new TLB’s come with a FOPS or “Falling Object Protection System”. The ROPS in normally a single looped roll bar and the FOPS is a four-point roll cage with a canopy cover to protect against falling objects.

<font color=blue> Anything I should look out for that isn't obvious?</font color=blue>

These may be obvious items to many, but stand out vividly in my mind. Please don’t ask why they are so vivid./w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif With all front end loader equipped (FEL) tractors it is important to keep the loader as close to the ground as possible when carrying a load. This is especially important with a TLB because the backhoe will add a great deal of weight above the center of gravity. With a load carried high it is amazing how quickly a tractor can become unstable if a tire drops into a hole.

Be sure your stabilizers are set on solid ground. As you dig whatever, it is not uncommon to find yourself repositioning the tractor and setting the stabilizers on freshly dug dirt. The leverage put on the stabilizers will compress the new dirt until they are doing very little. This especially important if you are working on any kind of slope. With the backhoe boom at full reach, when you swing to one side you shift all that weight to an unstable stabilizer and ----------- you get the idea. Also when working on a slope always dump your spoils to the up hill side of the excavation.

Speaking of side slopes, try to avoid them. When ever possible you will always be more stable if you can work perpendicular to the slope. Again a TLB carries a lot of weight above the CG on the tractor. In my opinion, one of the cheapest and easiest ways to help this situation is to load the rear tires with liquid ballast. A search will give you a lot of information about this on the forum. I did my own with a water and anti-freeze mix and found that it help stability and traction in a dramatic way.

Don’t let anyone near you when you are working. Hit the wrong lever when someone is near by and terrible things can happen. For the same reason always lower your loader and backhoe to the ground when you are not on the tractor.

Probably the best advice I can offer is take it SLOW while you become familiar with the tractor. There are many here on the forum with more knowledge than I and there aren’t any silly questions when it comes to safety. Ask away and the collective expertise will come up with great advice. I learn something new most everyday.

MarkV

/ IH 3414 parts problem #8  
FYI. I was told that any new machine over 23 HP was required to have ROPS factory installed and anything under was not. Don't know if it is true or not, but would not be without one, no matter what the size of the tractor.

All of the advice you gave was excellent. Especilly the advice about the changing center of gravity. It is amazing how fast it can change and how unstable a tractor can get when lifting a heavy load to full height in the bucket. I always carry my bucket as low to the ground as possible until I get right up to the place where I want to dump it. Then, and only then, do I lift it to the height needed and move slowly forward to dump it. And I try to stay perpendicular to any slopes, even the small ones on dirt piles, as it only takes a few degrees of change to tip a tractor that is already near the tipping point.

/ IH 3414 parts problem
Thank you both,
I will memorize these words of wisdom.
I have a small slope next to my house (aprox. 10 degrees) and when I am on it, traversing the slope, I feel like the TLB is going to tip over, with no load in the bucket. I thought it was just my inexperience. Attached is a picture of the slope. By the way I didn't use the shovel that was against the garage, its purpose is just to lean on! Is there an angle guide line in place so I don't have to find out the hard way? In my book 15 degrees is max. digging angle.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• 17-108301-sidewalk.JPG
    17-108301-sidewalk.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 548
   / IH 3414 parts problem #10  
Like a lot of use the shovel and the wheel barrow going to get a lot duster. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
Would that be a set of tire chains on the rear..just wondering..looks like you got enough tread on her,not unless you got a good muck hole.