Ditchwitch J20

/ Ditchwitch J20 #1  

jbos333

Bronze Member
Hello......anyone out there ever run an old Ditchwitch non-hydrostatic ride-on J20 or similar before? I just bought one at auction, everything seems to work OK but I can't seem to run it forward slow enough to dig with the boom in the ground. I think it has something to do with the "crowd" feature maybe? I have run a couple of trenchers before but they were both hydro and you could easily just creep along to dig.

/ Ditchwitch J20 #2  
On the 2200 there is a lever that swaps the 3 speed transmission from drive to dig. Then there is another shorter lever that then controls the drive. The J20 is a older model than the 2200 but basically the same size unit.

/ Ditchwitch J20 #3  
jboss;

I have a J20. There is a valve on the lower left side of the "dashboard" that controls "crowd" speed. IIRC clockwise is faster and counterclockwise is slower. I renovated/restored mine and it trenches like a dream. I have the earlier model with lever steering. The later ones have a steering wheel. I have a manual if you need any info.

SimS

/ Ditchwitch J20 #4  
Man, that brings back memories. I ran a J20 for a couple of years back in the early 70's laying 4" PVC sewer pipe. My old brain recalls a lever to engage the crawl and then a small lever with a round knob sticking up on the left side next to the steering wheel to control the speed. The more that I think about it the more that I want to say that the crawl was engaged when the digging chain was engaged. The crawl was hydraulic and the main transmission had to be in neutral.
We ran a 12" trench and didn't give any thought to wires or pipes. Standard proceedure when cutting a water line in someones yard was to get off and run. Then wait for the trencher to come to you and get back on. The good ole days.
We also did drain fields too.

/ Ditchwitch J20 #5  
I have a never-used, totally rebuilt engine for e J20 still wrapped. -Chuck D, 505-281-3132

/ Ditchwitch J20 #6  
jboss;

I have a J20. There is a valve on the lower left side of the "dashboard" that controls "crowd" speed. IIRC clockwise is faster and counterclockwise is slower. I renovated/restored mine and it trenches like a dream. I have the earlier model with lever steering. The later ones have a steering wheel. I have a manual if you need any info.

SimS

Hi Do you happen to know why a J20 digging chain would stop moving in hard earth? I bought one for 2000$ and am using it for the first time...trying, I mean. Are the belts not grabbing on the tensioner which pushes on them when you move the lever to dig mode?

I guess I might have to get off it and tilt the seat and look at it with it in "failing to turn" state, but I hate the idea of letting it run and further damaging the two belts.

It starts moving again as soon as I lift the digging chain up a bit from the ground.
It didn't do this when the guy I bought it from demoed it for me (sob!)

Thanks for any trenching wisdom,
David 707 226 1678 707 287 5200

/ Ditchwitch J20 #7  
saved a J20 lever steer from the local scrap yard.. only needed a coil to get it running..needs new tires and chisel.. used it to break the hard plate under the garden... total invested...$600

/ Ditchwitch J20 #8  
saved a J20 lever steer from the local scrap yard.. only needed a coil to get it running..needs new tires and chisel.. used it to break the hard plate under the garden... total invested...$600

I had an old lever steer too, just needed new points and paint. Bought it locally on Ebay for $120......definitely one of my better auction purchases.