Coverage area of crush and run?

/ Coverage area of crush and run? #1  

Robbie Hegwood

Platinum Member
I have an upcoming job to connect two dirt/gravel drives. I will be moving in dirt to connect and smooth between the two. Of the entire driveway loop 2/3 have gravel already. The customer would like crush and run applied to the entire drive. Anyone have a formula for figuring how much I will need. Also what will the average 10 wheel dump haul. I plan to call a local hauler in the next day or so but was looking for a few numbers to get me headed in the right direction. FYI this drive is only for cars and just one at that. I am really interested in this job for my drive for our equipment will be next, if it goes well!! Thanks Robbie

/ Coverage area of crush and run? #2  
a rough ballpark for 1 yard is it will cover 150sq. ft. 2" deep. for your job i would suggest gettingyour measurements and calling the gravel yard and ask them how much you need. they deal with it all the time and for me are always dead on.
good luck,

/ Coverage area of crush and run? #3  
Robbie Hegwood said:
The customer would like crush and run applied to the entire drive.

Just a heads up on the name, from Wikipedia:
"A special type of limestone crushed stone is dense grade aggregate, or DGA, also known as crusher run. This is a mixed grade of mostly small crushed stone in a matrix of crushed limestone powder."

/ Coverage area of crush and run? #4  
Most tandem trucks will haul 10 or so cubic yards of gravel.

For the amount measure the area, decide on the thickness you want and then calculate the cubic yards of material required.:D

one cubic yard = 27 cubic ft.:D

/ Coverage area of crush and run? #5  
Rule of thumb we use is a tandem (10 to 12 yard truck) will cover five hundred square feet (ten feet by fifty feet) four inches thick.

/ Coverage area of crush and run? #6  
Make sure to ask for a load with plenty of "fines" in it. Fines are the little sand size pieces. Crusher run can be loaded off the top and sides of a big pile or off the bottom. You want the stuff near the bottom where the fines have sifted down to. The fines will help lock together the larger rock. This will not cost extra, but you may not get them if you don't ask for them. It will be well worth the trouble of asking. One extra ton of fines is far more useful than an extra ton of larger assorted rock.

Given a few months, minimal traffic and some rain, you will see crusher run with a lot of fines in it become almost like concrete. A lack of fines will yield a road with the gravel skittering all over the place because there is nothing to lock it together.

Bill G is right about the name. It is called crusher run, not crush and run. That means you are getting whatever comes out of the rock crusher. It is not sifted or sorted according to size. The crusher will create a variety of sizes and a lot of small sand size pieces which are the fines.

You can buy sifted rock which are all the same size, but that is not good for driveways.

/ Coverage area of crush and run?
Good answers guys, as always. I wondered why the lady kept saying crusher run. Now I know. I did call two places today and get prices. One was 300.00 a load and the other 325.00. They said normal dumping width from the truck was 10' wide, With a thickness of 2-4" from 100'-300' Of course normal variations. I was firguring two trucks already. They said measure the length and width and call them from the site and they would quote exactly how much it would take.

We live fairly close to a rock quary so good news there. Both said next day delivery, same day if early enough. Interesting though, one guy tried to talk me into #5 stone instead of crusher run. Said it would last longerand only 20-25 dollars more. My customer wants crusher. But for my drive I was planning crusher but would #5stone work better? It would be over packed dirt. My trailer is heavy and I am concerned of getting stuck in gravel. What are ya'lls thoughts on that?

Thanks for the replies. Robbie

/ Coverage area of crush and run? #8  
Your customer is smart. He already knows that crusher run is better than evenly sized rock. Give him his crusher run with lots of fines in it.

If you do the road with sized rock, you will be re-doing it again very soon. Plus you will beat yourself and your vehicles to death in the meantime.

/ Coverage area of crush and run? #9  
In the two year evolution of my driveways (house and office are on the same property), I have used crusher run (we call it base rock) for most of it. I just reworked a section cutting in deeper ditches and raised the road bed by a couple inches. My quarry guy talked me into washed rock, 3/8 to 3/4 this time, and I am sorry he did. Just like Gordon says, crusher run firms up. This darn stuff just keeps shifting. I can grade it out nice, and with a few days traffic, it has all shifted around to the middle and edges leaving the beginnings of the tire ruts I absolutely refuse to have. The quarry guy said that the washed gravel would not be as dusty as crusher run. I suppose he's right -- my crusher run roads are dusty when it is dry and I get a pasty film splattered on my vehicles when it's wet, but they're firm.

Looks like I am going to have to have a load or two of crusher run laid over the washed rock to get it to lock in. Maybe that's why the quarry guy recommended it!

/ Coverage area of crush and run? #10  
I just did my driveway areas with crusher run two weekends ago.
1 - 30' x 64' Driveway leading to garage (1920 sq ft)
1 - 28'L x 20'W for parking my trailers (560 sq ft)
1 - 10' x 250' half circle drive (2500 sq ft)
Totaling just under 5000 sq. ft.
I had 3 tandem truckloads dumped. Most areas I spread about 2-3" thick. The half circle drive got 5-6" thick since there was always a wet spot in the middle.

Attachments

• Driveway 1.jpg
    Driveway 1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 4,786
  • Driveway 2.jpg
    Driveway 2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,773
  • Driveway 3.jpg
    Driveway 3.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 2,999
  • Driveway 4.jpg
    Driveway 4.jpg