Komatsu D20A-6 ?

/ Komatsu D20A-6 ?
Lee,

The D20A-6 diesel is 40 hp. As far as your question about "bog down" sometimes yes sometimes no, depends on soil conditions and if steering. For example if on loose soil and up against an immovable object both tracks will spin and dig in as long as you let it. If on firm undisturbed soil and you dig too deep with the blade, or run up against an immovable object, then yes the engine will bog down till it stalls, if you pull a steering lever with above conditions, then one track will start tearing up the soil and it will start turning without bogging.

LP gas engine? - Personally I would stay away from that setup, simply because it would be very inconvenient to keep it filled. What happens if you run out of fuel in the woods and can't get a LP gas truck near it? My neighbor had an old LP gas Tractor, it spent more time sitting idle being out of fuel, he finally sold it to someone who wanted it for parts.

Rubber tracks? -
I am no expert on tracks, but I think rubber tracks are mostly used in situations where it will be used on or over pavement, concrete or over soil so as not to tear it up. I would imagine rubber tracks have less traction and wear out pretty quickly doing what dozer's normally do. For what you'll be using it for I would go with single grouser steel tracks.

Elevation - I'm at ~ 7000', the power seems to match the size and weight of the dozer. I have never run it at a lower elevation so can't make a comparison. Now, I do travel & rent cars all over the country and oh man there sure is a huge difference in noticeable power of autos at sea level vs being at 5000' and above.

Larry

/ Komatsu D20A-6 ? #122  
Hey Guys I just purchased a d20q-5 Komatsu loader with 974 hrs, from David Greer jr, in Mississippi. Man what a machine. I am very well pleased with the hp and overall operations.The swamp tracks really dig into this east Tn. red clay. And yes at only 1/4 throttle it will fill the bucket. Very easy on fuel. It is the perfect machine for a small time farmer, or small construction business. Very easy to turn in tight places. David has several of these machines dozers and loaders at a reasonable price. He was very accommodating and HONEST. Plus he has a delivery service that is very affordable and quick. I bought the machine on a Wed. and it was delivered on Friday.

Last edited:
   / Komatsu D20A-6 ? #123  
About the adjustment you made to the turning clutch/brake...discribe the location of access/process of adjusting, if you would...we have a Komatsu 20A that is doing the same thing. Thanks ! earl ettabor@bellsouth.net

/ Komatsu D20A-6 ? #124  
Would you reply/send a contact # & city in Miss. where David Green may be contacted?? Thanks ! earl ettabor@bellsouth.net 985-229-4314 Kentwood, La. 70444

/ Komatsu D20A-6 ? #125  
Would you reply/send a contact # & city in Miss. where David Green may be contacted?? Thanks ! earl ettabor@bellsouth.net 985-229-4314 Kentwood, La. 70444

Hey Earl-

You might not get a response, if you notice the date, the thread is 3+ years old.....
Good luck and welcome to TBN!

/ Komatsu D20A-6 ? #126  
I also have a KOmatsu D20A6 that is doing the same thing! Mine is a 1960s era machine that is made or pure gold as far as I am concerned...the thing has run like a to pfor years. I am anxious to get the turning clutches replaced and get another 20 years out o f this machine. if you find anything out I would really appreciate posting! my cell is 803 360 0756

/ Komatsu D20A-6 ? #127  
Hi Andrew...Earl here...Just rcv'd your post & am knee-deep into this Komatsu as-we-speak. Unit has been layed-up for years. Gave out in the field & there it stayed. Poor maint. prior to that stoppage didn't prolong the incident. Have studied the situation about the brakeing (turning) problem & know that the steering starts from the hyd. pump (clutch housing mounted) & sproket clutches are actuated by this pump and are further controlled by the steering levers/petals which add a braking band into the picture to actually do the turning of the machine. These bands are adjustable from the rear of the tractor...through two, two-bolt covers...bullet-nosed...& once re-moved...allow for a hex-headed nut to be turned. DO NOT back all the way off on these nuts...the band will then be diss-conneccted from the drum & further tear-down will insue in order to get back to square one. ( I have made that mistake...).
I am no authority on this machine...not by a long-shot...but am learning more & more about it as I try to get it operational. I have not been able to get the engine going...deduct an injector problem...will pull those today for testing tomorrow. I think one or more are leaking & flooding the cyls. ...too wet to start...ring-washed as some call it...cannot get enough compression to fire-up. Will try either-starting...but am not crazy about doing the either thing.
All-in-all...I like what I see in this Komatsu...it is a well-built, well engineered machine. I, like you, will probably love this thing once it is operational.
Stay in touch...my email is ettabor@bellsouth.net...phone is 985-229-4314
Maybe we can help each other out keeping these machines going...and going...and going !!
(Ha-ha...couldn't resist ! )

LATER !! earl

/ Komatsu D20A-6 ? #128  
Hey Earl! thanks for the reply, I am going to see what I can do this weekend. I hope you get your machine going - this is the finest machine I own! I have 2 tractors, JD and Kubota, and Komatsu mini ex, and this Komatsu dozer is just a real gem. It is as solid as a tank. thanks again....

/ Komatsu D20A-6 ?
About the adjustment you made to the turning clutch/brake...discribe the location of access/process of adjusting, if you would...we have a Komatsu 20A that is doing the same thing. Thanks ! earl ettabor@bellsouth.net

Attached is the location of the steering break band cover access port.

Larry

Attachments

• Steering break tension access.jpg
    Steering break tension access.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 877
  • Steering break tension access2.jpg
    Steering break tension access2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 982
   / Komatsu D20A-6 ? #130  
G'day guys,

Have only just registered on this site, but have been following your posts for a period of time, whilst pondering purchase of a 40HP "baby" Dozer. After much thought I have ended up purchasing a similar machine but one of the opposition to you blokes. A 2002 BD2J with 675 hrs on it came available and like one of the other guys in here I purchased it sight unseen, (Holding breath till Wednesday) but by all reports sounds in good nick. Have enjoyed the friendly banter and free flow of information between you guys and even if not a Komatsu look forward to having a yarn soon.

Bruce