Liver & Onions.... favorite recipe

/ Liver & Onions.... favorite recipe #1  

Pine Strip

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B-3000
My neighbor just dropped off a whole cow's liver from a fresh butchering. Are there any other Liver & Onion lovers here that have a great favorite family recipe or way to prepare fresh cow's Liver that you would like to share ! :cool2:

:cow:

/ Liver & Onions.... favorite recipe #2  
My mother use to make liver and onions when I was a kid in the 50s. I don't really know exactly how she made it but I think she floured it and fried it with salt and pepper. These were sliced liver. Loved it but I can't eat it now cuz it has too much iron.

/ Liver & Onions.... favorite recipe #3  
try soaking liver in milk first to make it milder

/ Liver & Onions.... favorite recipe #4  
GPintheMitten, that sounds the same as my mother did, EXCEPT she fried the liver, but no onions. My wife & I haven't cooked any liver in quite a few years now, but on the infrequent occasions that we visit a Luby's Cafeteria, I nearly always have a big serving of their liver and onions. I wish I had their recipe.

/ Liver & Onions.... favorite recipe #5  
I'm with ya Bird. Ate it often growing up. Rarely do now. But if I'm in a restaurant that I trust I'll go for it. Love it. I gotta have onions. Totally smothered in them. Grilled with the liver of course. Yuummm. Made me hungry just thinking about it.

Sorry I can't help the OP with a recipe.

/ Liver & Onions.... favorite recipe
Thanks for the feed back, I'll try the milk soak marinade. This is just a yearling cow liver so it looks and smells good. Yet it fills a three gallon pail to the top.
When it's prepared properly it's a true delicacy. I've only heard about 'Bear Liver' being toxic in iron if too much is ingested in a short period of time.

Cheers !

/ Liver & Onions.... favorite recipe #7  
Thanks for the feed back, I'll try the milk soak marinade. This is just a yearling cow liver so it looks and smells good. Yet it fills a three gallon pail to the top. When it's prepared properly it's a true delicacy. I've only heard about 'Bear Liver' being toxic in iron if too much is ingested in a short period of time. Cheers !

I love liver any way it's done .. Liver and onions.. Liver and mushroom gravy ..

/ Liver & Onions.... favorite recipe #8  
I guess some people might be Iron sensitive. I'm thinking it's kinda like the Nitrate scare of the 70's. "Can't eat bacon because you'll OD on Nitrates". Course you gotta eat 53 pounds of it within 24 hours or some silly number like that. I'm fortunate that I don't seem to be intolerant or sensitive to foods. Course that makes me eat anything. Which is probably not a good thing. But it's fun.... :)

/ Liver & Onions.... favorite recipe #9  
Hot cast iron seasoned fry pan, crisco or lard, roll in flour and fry quickly until golden brown. Carmalize the onions after frying liver and place on top and enjoy. I also perfer lots of salt and pepper. Chicken liver is also great fried but no onions! Fried potatoes also goes great with fried beef liver. My wife can fix it better than I can and she is Filipino and never had liver growing up. Fried liver, onions and potatoes is probably one of the best $2.00 meals ever.

mark

/ Liver & Onions.... favorite recipe #10  
I remember my mom cooking liver and onions for my dad.. Sure smelled good. I just couldn't make myself eat it. I won't eat any liver .Liver reminds me too much of an oil filter :D