Replacement belt for Craftsman mower...

/ Replacement belt for Craftsman mower... #1  

JimS

Bronze Member
Went to the Sears store with the belt number for the drive wheels for my riding mower ( Belt #161588). Was told they couldn't look up a cross based on that number and that I needed the tractor model number. Went back and was given a different number. It was too short to work properly. They didn't have the proper belt and there is no longer a parts store within 50 miles so I decided to get one on line.

Found what was said to be a better than OEM belt on ebay from someone with good feedback
and ordered. It lasted about 6 weeks in lighter than usual use. After it was destroyed I noticed it was marked 4L830. That's a fractional HP number thats not even close to original quality!

I can get a type A belt from Grainger for about half of what Sears wants for one (about $18 vs. $36). This is rated for "clutching applications" so it sounds like it should be up to the task. But I don't really want to hassle with this much more so might just go for the sears belt.

Would appreciate others comments on the best way to get a good quality belt without paying too much... Should I just order the belt from Sears.

Thanks.

/ Replacement belt for Craftsman mower... #2  
I have had pretty good luck with the blue colored Kevlar belts from TSC. They seem to hold up a lot better than the sears ones.

/ Replacement belt for Craftsman mower... #3  
JimS, I just used Lawn Mower Parts and Tractor Parts for some mower parts for a neighbor of mine and the belt that was sent was very stout compared to the original equipment, so maybe you could give them a try ?? I don't recall the name on the belt at this point :confused: I wasn't disappointed with any of the parts ordered...:cool:

/ Replacement belt for Craftsman mower... #4  
I got my belt at lowes look for the same mower in a husky Randy

/ Replacement belt for Craftsman mower... #5  
DieselPower said:
I have had pretty good luck with the blue colored Kevlar belts from TSC. They seem to hold up a lot better than the sears ones.

Size up your old belt(s). The Kevlar belts at TSC are excellent, and an excellent value.

-Fordlords-

/ Replacement belt for Craftsman mower...
Thanks for the replies. I checked out the TSC site. I am assuming both references to TSC belts were for belts like TSC#4461224. I couldn't tell if these were blue from their website but didn't find any others...

From the numbers these look like type "A" belts (for the 1/2" width). And the price looks good. Looks like I will be placing an order...