Bronze Member

Default Replacement belt for Craftsman mower...

Went to the Sears store with the belt number for the drive wheels for my riding mower ( Belt #161588). Was told they couldn't look up a cross based on that number and that I needed the tractor model number. Went back and was given a different number. It was too short to work properly. They didn't have the proper belt and there is no longer a parts store within 50 miles so I decided to get one on line.

Found what was said to be a better than OEM belt on ebay from someone with good feedback
    and ordered. It lasted about 6 weeks in lighter than usual use. After it was destroyed I noticed it was marked 4L830. That's a fractional HP number thats not even close to original quality!

I can get a type A belt from Grainger for about half of what Sears wants for one (about $18 vs. $36). This is rated for "clutching applications" so it sounds like it should be up to the task. But I don't really want to hassle with this much more so might just go for the sears belt.

Would appreciate others comments on the best way to get a good quality belt without paying too much... Should I just order the belt from Sears.

Thanks.

Tractor
    JD 3020, JD 4230, JD 7410, JD 2440, MF 750, NH LS170

Default Re: Replacement belt for Craftsman mower...

I have had pretty good luck with the blue colored Kevlar belts from TSC. They seem to hold up a lot better than the sears ones.

Tractor
    massey ferguson 135/1433v

JimS, I just used lawn mower Parts and Tractor Parts for some mower parts for a neighbor of mine and the belt that was sent was very stout compared to the original equipment, so maybe you could give them a try ?? I don't recall the name on the belt at this point I wasn't disappointed with any of the parts ordered...

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota l2250

I got my belt at lowes look for the same mower in a husky Randy

Tractor
    Cub Cadet 682

Quote Originally Posted by DieselPower
    I have had pretty good luck with the blue colored Kevlar belts from TSC. They seem to hold up a lot better than the sears ones.
    Size up your old belt(s). The Kevlar belts at TSC are excellent, and an excellent value.

-Fordlords-
    1980 Cub Cadet 682 with 18 HP Honda GX V-Twin engine
    2008 Ariens 624 Snowblower
    2007 Craftsman by MTD 4 Cycle Weedwacker

Check out my TBN photo gallery for B4 and after pix of my CC 682 Restoration! http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/s...cat/500/page/1

Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies. I checked out the TSC site. I am assuming both references to TSC belts were for belts like TSC#4461224. I couldn't tell if these were blue from their website but didn't find any others...

From the numbers these look like type "A" belts (for the 1/2" width). And the price looks good. Looks like I will be placing an order...