sears suburban ss15

/ sears suburban ss15 #1  

georgia plow boy

Bronze Member
I found a sear suburban on the net the other day its a 70s model ss15 with a 50 in mowing deck pic. look good ,its been tuned Carb solenoid etc they say it doesn't use oil or smoke cranks the first time they wanted 600.00 but now that its winter and nobody eles inquired I guess. they will sell it for 475.00 is this a decent price because I'm looking for something to cut grass and work a small garden with will this do the job and how hard will it be to find and install a hitch for garden attachments and can I still get parts for it if I have to replace something

/ sears suburban ss15 #2  
These are tough old GTs that will do a lot of work and provided they receive regular pm will last a long time. I grew up running 70's model Sears GT's--a 12 hp and 2 16 hp. Dad had 3 pt hitches for all three, but only 1 16 hp had the 3 pt installed, and with the attachments it was capable of doing a good job tearing up the garden (we only played with the old GT though--we used tractors when we had work to do). I'm not sure about the parts situation with this old iron, but I do know where you can get a hitch for one :D

/ sears suburban ss15
thanks for the info do you have a hitch? I don't live to far from you . what about the price for the gt is that a good price for a vintage gt

/ sears suburban ss15 #5  
SS 15 was a great little tractor. I still have one I bought new in 72, That was the only year that model was made. They never offered a 50 inch mower deck. The largest deck they offered was a 48 inch.They were powerd BY A 15 HORSEPOWER Briggs cast iron engine with an alumunim head .They were made by Roper who made roper machines which were real close to being identical to the sears suburan models.I have all the original manuals and parts lists..

/ sears suburban ss15 #7  
No implements or 3pt hitch? I'd offer $400.00 as long as it runs good and all gears worked in LO & HI.

My 1972 Sub-15 has had a rough life! Bought new by my uncle Floyd for my aunt to plow her kitchen garden. It never had a belly mower always been used to plow and haul a small trailer. Cousin Stevie was going to fast, jumped it over a ditch on a mountain curve and into the hog pen. The tractor cleared the hog fence but the trailer knocked it down, took awhile to catch all the piglets! I remember driving that little tractor all over my uncles farm, I was to small to reach the brake/clutch and had to turn it off to stop it. Every kid on the mountain learned how to drive on that tractor. My uncle gave it to me after his grandsons rolled it down the mountainside in one of the upper pastures, don't worry the kids were alright. Busted the sub-15 up perty bad, bent steering wheel, grill was crushed and the seat had long rusted away an plywood was a seat. I took it home rebuilt it as best I could and used it for several years before it got stored while I was overseas. Sat for many years before I pulled it out and got her working again this past R&R. Cleaned carb., replaced rusted out fuel tank, and put a coat of paint on where needed. It was a quick refurb. and plan to do a full restore when I get the chance. These old tractors are tough work horses!

Attachments

• Sub-15 before restore.JPG
    Sub-15 before restore.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 1,382
  • Kevin & 1972 SEARS Suburban15.jpg
    Kevin & 1972 SEARS Suburban15.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 2,393