Repowered my 2001 Sears DLT2000

/ Repowered my 2001 Sears DLT2000 #1  

atxdb

After my Briggs Intek VTwin pulled the exhaust valve guide out of the head and shot the exhaust pushrod into the block, I had a tough decision. I looked at the new tractors and wasn't too impressed in the sub $4k category. If I'm going to buy new only 7 years after buying my first tractor, well, I wanted a 15+ year tractor. Other than not buying a new tractor with a Briggs, I kept my mind open to all brands on the hood. Came away thinking the Sears GT's were a lot of tractor for the dough. Still wasn't convinced I wanted to drop another $2500 right now...

So, after a few suggestions form co-workers, I checked Jack's Small Engines, and Small Engine Warehouse for replacements. Found a great engine a Jack's but they kept my order for 11 days and never shipped it. Was pretty upset with them so I cancelled my order and made the new order from Small Engine Warehouse (in Indiana) on a Wednesday morning. I had the engine on my doorstep in north Texas by Friday afternoon. I was impressed to say the least.

The new engine is a 20 HP VTwin ELS Briggs (5HP less than the old) - I didn't want to order another Briggs, but I also wanted to make the swap out simple. It took only an hour to put the new engine in and hardly broke a sweat using my impact wrench to put the self tapping engine mount bolts in. I'm a pretty mechanically inclined person, but had never attempted something this radical before. I would encourage anybody who is thinking about doing this to go for it as long as you do your research and see that the new engine is an exact replacement. (unless you know what you're getting in to)

My DLT2000 has only 350 hours on it and looks practically new, so I'm looking forward to at least another 5 years out of the tractor before I have to make the next big purchase. :D

Oh, and the 20HP engine mows my acre lot in 50 mintues just like the 25HP one did - in case you were wondering. ;)

Doug

/ Repowered my 2001 Sears DLT2000 #2  
I did the same for a friend who had a sears tractor. he had his for about 2 years and this winter he attempted to snowblow his driveway and long story short he seized his engine (kohler 27 hp). I found an engine on ebay that was the identical engine only rebuilt for 650 shipped and I installed it for him. he finished up the winter snow blowing and is now a 3rd of the way through mowing season and no issues what so ever. hes happy so thats what matters. I just bought my first new mower should be getting it the 10th of july its a kubota gr2110 diesel 4wd. If I have as good of luck with it as I have had with my b2910 kubota I will be completely happy with it. I too bought it with the intent of having it for 20 years if diesel fuel is still availible then.

/ Repowered my 2001 Sears DLT2000 #3  
Doug, eight years ago I repowered my 1987 M. Wards LT (MTD mfr, I bought it new) with a new Tecumseh 12-hp, and I bought it from the Small Engine Warehouse just like you did. I also had a short delivery time as I recall. I replaced the original 11-hp Tecumseh because it was starting to leak some oil and it just didn't have the power it used to. The new motor was somewhere in the neighborhood of $750.00 and this one included a pull start as well as the electric start. Well, I'm glad I got it because the battery has been dead a couple years now but it still pull-starts with no problem. It bolted right into the frame using the same rubber isolators, but the separate choke control went away with the new carb design (don't like that too much) and I had to modify the engine speed control somewhat. But just like you, I looked at the machine and decided it just looked too good, and cut grass too well to throw it away. I now have a JD ZTR but I still use this LT regularly, due to nostalgia I guess:)

/ Repowered my 2001 Sears DLT2000
Thanks for the encouragement guys! I tend to take good care of my stuff, and was rather upset at the Briggs... But this was far away the cheapest way (other than a used engine) to keep me mowing a few years more with this tractor. My tractor cost me $1950, and it has a 10 gauge deck! Try finding that for sub $2k these days.

My lot is very flat, so I'm not worried about cracking the frame - the hydro and electric pto clutch are the big ticket items that I'm hoping hang on for another 100-200 hours. My crummy plastic hood has been fiberglassed and bondo'd over 50% of the inside, so I know it'll hold on a while longer. :) If the plastic cracks some more, I'll just have a hood made of bondo, epoxy and fiberglass cloth!